Accessories & Essentials > Thermometers, Probes, Remote Temp Monitoring Systems etc.

Instant read thermometers: a super useful item for grilling

(1/4) > >>

ScottE:
I've known about instant read thermometers for a long time, but never really paid a whole lot of attention to them - just another cool gadget that'll sit in the drawer with the rest, I thought. Well, I got my first instant read thermometer a few months ago and my grilling hasn't been the same since - I never realized how useful these are.

I've always used a traditional meat thermometer - either a standard (non-electronic) one, or electronic but slow. Often, I'd end up with meat that was over or under done from what I expected. The difference between getting the temperature in 30 seconds versus 2 really helps with getting a consistent cook and nailing doneness. Even when smoking with a probe in, it's useful for spot checking the rest of whatever I'm cooking.

I bought a Thermoworks Thermopop, but there are a number of other models and manufactures making the same sort of thing. Worth checking out if you are an amateur like me and cook by temperature, not by "feel".

InThePitBBQ:
There's no substitute for a quality instant read, one of the first things I took to heart using a Thermapen was seconds really do matter when charbroiling steaks and I don't care how accomplished a cook you are there's no other way to do it right when your cooking over a 900* heat source.

Bentley:
Administration Note: If you are thinking of buying this device and you use this link, Pellet Fan gets a small percentage of the purchase...FYI MK4 by Thermoworks

GREG-B:

--- Quote from: Bentley  on September 19, 2017, 10:12:27 AM ---Administration Note: If you are thinking of buying this device and you use this link, Pellet Fan gets a small percentage of the purchase...FYI MK4 by Thermoworks

--- End quote ---

Is it automatically credited to Pelletfans or is there some code or procedure that assures you get the credit?

LowSlowJoe:
You know for years, I got by without a instant read... I've been using leave in thermometers mostly.  A little more then a year ago, was when I first got my Thermopop... and ScottE has noted... I use it way more then I ever thought I would.  I still use leave in remote sensing probes in fairly often, but they have their disadvantages, one of the big disadvantages of them, is they only read the temperature in that one spot... and generally don't work well in thin cuts of meat. 

Anyway, I too am a bit of a convert to instant read thermometers... many uses and I would have a hard time getting by without one these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View