Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instant read thermometers: a super useful item for grilling  (Read 2258 times)

BeachBlues

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: Instant read thermometers: a super useful item for grilling
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »

I decided about 4 months ago to shop for an "instant read" thermometer, after researching just what that meant.  For the MK4, that's 2-3 seconds.  I finally stumbled on this little gem, a LavaTools P12 Javelin, available on Amazon for $25. 

Lavatools PT12 Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer

It reads "instantly" in 3-4 seconds, well into my acceptable range for 1/4 the cost of the MK4.  Besides, if it didn't work that great, I would have just sent it back.  No bells and whistles.  No backlight (I don't smoke without a light on), display doesn't rotate (I can read upside down), and comes in about 6 colors (I like red because I can find it no matter where I lay it down).  Added bonus is the magnet on the back to stick it to my pellet box between temp checks.  If you're on the fence about buying one, and you're a Prime member, you can have one in 2 days, try it, then return it if you don't agree with my assessment.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:55:33 PM by Bentley »
Yoder YS640 Fireboard Thermometer, A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker L'il Harry Electric Smoker Klose 42" Offset Stick Burner

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »

Price is why I went with the Thermopop. I'm really happy with it, I use it when I otherwise wouldn't use a meat thermometer.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »

Been using Lavatools Javelin Pro in Competition/Caterings since July 3rd, it has proven every bit as reliable, fast and accurate as my now deceased Thermapen, yeah I have to wait an extra second for the read-out but for right now it works and works well.

I decided about 4 months ago to shop for an "instant read" thermometer, after researching just what that meant.  For the MK4, that's 2-3 seconds.  I finally stumbled on this little gem, a LavaTools P12 Javelin, available on Amazon for $25. 

Lavatools PT12 Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer

It reads "instantly" in 3-4 seconds, well into my acceptable range for 1/4 the cost of the MK4.  Besides, if it didn't work that great, I would have just sent it back.  No bells and whistles.  No backlight (I don't smoke without a light on), display doesn't rotate (I can read upside down), and comes in about 6 colors (I like red because I can find it no matter where I lay it down).  Added bonus is the magnet on the back to stick it to my pellet box between temp checks.  If you're on the fence about buying one, and you're a Prime member, you can have one in 2 days, try it, then return it if you don't agree with my assessment.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

jacksdad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 05:39:59 AM »

I have what is now called the super fast thermapen.  About $20 or so iirc.  Was so impressed I bought a dozen to give as gifts to family and friends who love cooking.  This was several years ago.  I still get ‘man that thing is awesome’ from people I gave them to. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up