Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by glitchy on 08 Dec 2019
  • After the Butcher Box disappointment, I didn't think I'd ever try online meat again. However, I fell victim to a number of people raving about Porter Road. Unlike, ButcherBox, Porter Road is grain finished and dry aged (14+ days) beef. It's still pasture raised, but the grain finished is a big deal for a midwesterner. They also ship quite a bit of their meat fresh instead of frozen. They had a $20 off 100 deal for Black Friday so I took a gamble. Again, not cheap, but supposed to be quality dry aged beef. They also have some heritage breeds of pork, chicken, lamb too.

Just to try it out, I ordered just over $120 worth of product so I could get the discount and still have free shipping. For that I was able to order 3 - 12oz Chuck Eye steaks, 3 - 8-10oz Sirloin Filets, and 3 - 2.5lb Chuck Roasts (probably my favorite smoked meat). All of the steaks came fresh, the chucks were frozen. They were packaged well, the ice packs were still frozen, and the vacuum packaging on the individual cuts was much more impressive than Butcher Box.

I cooked the Chuck Eyes today for lunch and was very impressed. I would say flavor wise one of the top 5 steaks I've ever cooked myself and I've done a few prime strips, sirloins, etc. from Costco. In fairness, my outdoor cooking game improves every week (a lot due to the people here), but I do think the meat was just that good. It was as tender and flavorful as any Ribeye I've ever cooked and was a Chuck Eye :-). I salted last night with Kosher salt (1/4-1/2 tsp per steak), smoked on the CampChef to 125, seared on the gasser.

I will add some more info to this when I try some of the others, but if the rest taste as good as these did, I'll be ordering from them regularly.
  • #2 by Bentley on 08 Dec 2019
  • At an average of $10.80/lb, for me it would be on the high end of Costco beef.  Is the taste that much better then Costco Choice?
  • #3 by glitchy on 08 Dec 2019
  • At an average of $10.80/lb, for me it would be on the high end of Costco beef.  Is the taste that much better then Costco Choice?

I thought better than the Costco Prime I’ve had. I’ll give some more updates in a couple weeks after I’ve tried more though. It is not cheap for sure, but cheaper than the local grocer that sells dry aged.
  • #4 by Ralphie on 11 Dec 2019
  • Thanks for the review. I had not heard of that brand.

You said your favorite smoked meat is beef chuck roast. How do you cook and serve it?
  • #5 by glitchy on 11 Dec 2019
  • Smoke @ 250-275. Wrap at 160 in butcher paper, cook to 205-207. Wrap and rest, shred and serve.
Pages:
Actions