Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone ever cooked tenderloin in a butter bath?  (Read 1477 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Anyone ever cooked tenderloin in a butter bath?
« on: September 16, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »

Bent likes to cut these into steaks and grill and I have just seen a couple of great cooks of tenderloin by pmillen and LTS, but I wondering if anyone has ever cooked it in a "butter bath."  I really like "The Pioneer Woman".  On one show, they were entertaining a big group of people and her husband was cooking tenderloins on his Santa Maria grill.  But instead of being cooked directly on the grill, he had them in the large aluminum pans (two to a pan) with melted butter half way up the side.  He then turned them half way through the cook and served, right out of the butter bath, when done.  No searing or finishing on the grill.

They did look very good and I am not being critical, just wondered if he maybe didn't miss a layer of taste.  Anyone ever cooked them the Pioneer Woman way?  If so, how was the flavour vs. a direct sear?

zephyr

• Using less gas.
Re: Anyone ever cooked tenderloin in a butter bath?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »

If cooked in butter, it takes away the beef flavor, better to add butter after the cook!    ..............................................  ZEP
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]

Queball

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »

Home Made Sous Vide. It's a porterhouse but the concept would be the same.

Melt butter, pour on pan and then freeze
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Place seasoned steak in vac bag and put pieces of frozen butter on each side of it. Vac Seal the bag.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Bring a LARGE stock pot of water up to a stable 140 degrees. Place the bag in the water and keep it there for 2 hours
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Cut the bag, remove the steak and quick sear it on a very hot grate.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Serve and enjoy
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:12:27 PM by Queball »

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »

Bent likes to cut these into steaks and grill and I have just seen a couple of great cooks of tenderloin by pmillen and LTS, but I wondering if anyone has ever cooked it in a "butter bath."  I really like "The Pioneer Woman".  On one show, they were entertaining a big group of people and her husband was cooking tenderloins on his Santa Maria grill.  But instead of being cooked directly on the grill, he had them in the large aluminum pans (two to a pan) with melted butter half way up the side.  He then turned them half way through the cook and served, right out of the butter bath, when done.  No searing or finishing on the grill.

They did look very good and I am not being critical, just wondered if he maybe didn't miss a layer of taste.  Anyone ever cooked them the Pioneer Woman way?  If so, how was the flavour vs. a direct sear?

I am curious as well. They would be boiled in butter, I think I would do a quick sear at the end if it was me.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Queball

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »

Not necessarily boiled, Quadman. Depends what temperature the butter is as shown in my post above.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
This is a picture of Chef Michael Mina’s preparation of steak, featured at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. It’s a type of reversing searing but incorporates a unique form of Sous-vide type cooking. Chef Mina uses clarified butter with non-bagged steaks submerged in a clarified butter bath at 120 degrees to bring strip steaks up to temp, and then finishes with a high temp sear.
I can tell you from my exercise with it, the steaks do lose some beefy flavor but the clarified butter brings a richness and texture to the meat that is very, very good. It's similar to to dipping lobster meat into clarified butter. .... Makes it a little more ... dynamic?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:32:50 PM by Queball »

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »

You are absolutely correct, I assumed cooked over coals it would be hot & fast but that may not be the method
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »

I think it was hotter and faster and not a sous vide kind of thing.  He had that Santa Maria grill going pretty good and the grill was down low and the meat did get a real brown layer on the outer layer.

Queball

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »

If it was hot, wouldn't the butter start to burn?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »

That is true and is was not burning, but it did look like it was simmering away pretty good and he had to keep watch over things and turn them often.

Ladd's Grilled Tenderloin
July 7, 2015 474
Prep Time:15 Minutes Difficulty: Easy Cook Time:30 MinutesServings:12 Serving

Ingredients
◾1 whole Beef Tenderloin
◾2 sticks Salted Butter, Melted And Slightly Cooled
◾3 Tablespoons Seaoned Salt, More To Taste
◾3 Tablespoons Lemon & Pepper Seasoning, More To Taste

Instructions

IMPORTANT: Be careful with the melted butter, as it gets very hot on the grill. Use long, heavy tongs and wear heavy gloves when transporting the pan of finished tenderloin.

Using a sharp knife, carefully trim the silvery, tough membrane off the top of the tenderloin, leaving all the sections of the tenderloin intact. Place it into a heavy duty foil roasting pan and pour on the melted butter. Sprinkle on some of the seasonings, then place the pan on the grill.

After the butter starts to get hot, let it cook for a good 10 minutes, then turn it over and season the other side. Turn the tenderloin every 7-8 minutes, or as it starts to brown. If butter cooks away, add more!

Cook the tenderloin, turning occasionally, for a total of 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how thick it is. If using a meat thermometer, remove it when the temperature reaches 125 to 130 degrees.

Transfer the tenderloin to a large baking sheet or cutting board and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Slice as thin or thick as you'd like!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:56:28 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 08:40:31 PM »

Are you saying he was cooking the whole tenderloin like a confit cook? Not just a steak?  So he would just pull the whole tenderloin out and carve it up?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »

Why did he bother with the Santa Maria grill?  He was just using it for heat.  It would have been the same if done on the kitchen range.

Was it just deep fried?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »

I thought he was using the Santa Maria because he had about 5-7 big alum pans -- they covered most of the grill.  I never thought about it, but I suppose he was just frying them.

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 07:49:47 AM »

Interesting concept.
I've cooked venison backstraps over low heat in butter and garlic.  Then reverse sear.  Love the flavor.
Going to put the frozen butter then SV method on the list of things to do..

Queball

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 06:16:19 AM »

Mowin,

Don't know how much sous vide you do. I don't have a sous vide machine. Here's a cooking chart that may be helpful.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 06:52:57 AM »

Q, thanks for the chart.  Should be very helpful.
I don't do alot SV cooks. Just learning the method. I did get a anova SV unit last fall.

I mainly use it to finish my summer sausage as it cuts the total cook time in half. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up