Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pit Temperature Measurement Affected by Probe Proximity to Cold Meat  (Read 398 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck

I sometimes read that a pit temperature probe that’s close to cold meat will give false (low) readings because the probe will be cooled by the cold meat.  Furthermore, it’s often suggested that the pit temperature be taken at a point somewhat removed from the cold meat.

I’ve concluded that I need to know the temperature of air closest to the meat.  It’s that air that’s cooking the meat.  The reason that it’s cooler than air in other parts of the pit is that it’s transferring its heat to the meat.

Why take the air temperature and adjust the pit accordingly from any location other than close to the meat?  Those other locations aren’t cooking the meat.

The situation isn’t significantly different in those pits with convection fans.  Even though the fans blow the cooled air away from the meat and replace it with hotter air, it’s still the air next to the meat that’s doing the cooking.  That’s the temperature I want to monitor.

I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts on this subject.  A sound argument will cause me to change my mind.  I’ve done it many times.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Pit Temperature Measurement Affected by Probe Proximity to Cold Meat
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:30:28 PM »

Your premise I believe is sound, just not sure that the meat mass will act as a heat sink for very long.  I am doing a Picnic right now.  It took 35 minutes to go from 33° to 39°, 5 inches into the meat.  I would think that by the time that change happened, the out side inch of the meat was well over 150° and would not effect ambient around a probe.

So skewed reading in the beginning I would believe, but I believe they would be short lived in a long cook.   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:29:53 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »

I think in a pellet cooker with the fan and the convection, getting a solid temp is almost impossible. Every piece of meat or pan you put in it changes the way the air moves, an 8 pound butt will cause different temps in places than 2 racks of ribs will. That is my unscientific thinking anyway. I guess I never really cared about cooker temps as much as the temps of what I was cooking.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »

I guess I never really cared about cooker temps as much as the temps of what I was cooking.

Which is why now days I finish almost every thing I smoke via sous vide.  ::)
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 08:59:50 PM »

That is exactly why I love the new "roaming" thermocouple (RTD) that MAK has come up with.  I can place the pit's measuring probe just about anywhere on the main or upper grate.

I've wondered why this wasn't done.  Great feature.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »

I’ve concluded that I need to know the temperature of air closest to the meat.  It’s that air that’s cooking the meat.  The reason that it’s cooler than air in other parts of the pit is that it’s transferring its heat to the meat.

Why take the air temperature and adjust the pit accordingly from any location other than close to the meat?  Those other locations aren’t cooking the meat.

I put one of the Maverick probes in the meat and the other right next to it to monitor air temp.  I'm all in with pmillen's theory, but I couldn't explain it as well as he did.  I seldom wait for the pit temp to stabilize at whatever set point I have until the meat is around 100 IT and then dial it in.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1]   Go Up