Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kubota57 on 20 Dec 2019
  • I have had my PG500 for about a month and been having a terrible time controlling temps. Yesterday I was reverse searing some ribeye's on indirect side at 225. The temps would overshoot to 250 plus and then would slowly drop to 200. When temp would start to rise from 200 it would billow smoke everywhere then till it reached 225 then the heavy smoke would settle down. The temp would build to 250 and then the cycle would start again. I kept working with the LHT and HHT settings with no luck. So today I decided I was going to figure these temp problems out. Here's what worked for me, say you want your set temp at 300, set it to 310 or so. Use the HHT settings to slowly build to 300 and let the HHT control you fire and temp. After finding the sweet spot on HHT it will hold temp within 5 degree range above and below your target temp. This also produced clear blue smoke instead of white dirty smoke through out the cook.
  • #2 by pmillen on 20 Dec 2019
  • It sounds as though you are zeroing in on a method that works well for you.

1.  Take notes on temperatures and settings that work well for you.

2.  Don't mess with the LHt too much.  15 is a pretty good standard setting.

LowSlowJoe, a member here, is an accomplished PG500 user.  He has carefully studied the HHt/temperature relationship.  His advice in this post is worth retaining.
  • #3 by MysticRhythms on 28 Dec 2019
  • I have never had any problems regulating the temps on my PG500.
    I have never changed the LHT off of the preset 15.
    I crank up the LHT if I am grilling, otherwise it stays at or near 30.
    Typically the temp in zone 4 is very close to what I set the controller at, and it stays there.
  • #4 by pmillen on 15 Jan 2020
  • LowSlowJoe, a member here, is an accomplished PG500 user.  He has carefully studied the HHt/temperature relationship.  His advice in this post is worth retaining.

LowSlowJoe hasn't been active for a few months.  I'm hopeful that he's okay and is just laying on the beach in the Bahamas without Internet access.
  • #5 by LowSlowJoe on 20 Jan 2020
  • No, not laying around in the Bahamas..  Just taking a bit of a break from discussing pellet grills and such.

Personally , the only time I typically had any real problems maintaining temperatures in my PG500, is if I accidentally got my LHT or HHT all mucked up.    Like, a week or so ago, I had set my HHT Lower than my LHT.  I couldn't figure out why the darn grill wasn't getting up to temperature.

I rarely change my LHT, it's almost always on 15.   My HHT is typically 30 to 70, this depends on how hot I'm trying to get and how cold it is outside.     I figure, I can get up to nearly 700F on the indirect side on a summer day with a HHT of just 70.  Only time I'd ever go above HHT = 70 is if it was really cold out and I wanted to cook above 400F.   

I still find it funny, that a PG500 can run at 700F, when the feed rate is at less than 50% duty cycle.    Most pellet grills on the market can't even get to 600F reliably when the auger is running 100% of the time.  I think the fact that the PG500's firepot is basically about double it's needed BTU capacity, is one of the reasons it produces so much smoke  at modest BBQ type temperatures, but that's just my theory.
  • #6 by okie smokie on 09 Apr 2020
    Typically the temp in zone 4 is very close to what I set the controller at, and it stays there.
    Can you explain line 2 vs line 3? 
  • #7 by texasbrew on 09 Apr 2020
    Can you explain line 2 vs line 3?
    I would venture a guess that line 3 should be HHT instead LHT.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 09 Apr 2020
  • I suspect that is correct. HHT was intended. I have personally been to the factory and seen the hand crafting on this unit.  However, I am not a fan of having to learn how to manage different temp zones on the same setting. For those of you who don't mind, I am happy. Just not my thing. I will say however, that the units are very well built. I can see why owners are so positive about them. 
  • #9 by MysticRhythms on 09 Apr 2020
  • Yes, line 3 should have been HHT, my bad.
  • #10 by pmillen on 10 Apr 2020
  • However, I am not a fan of having to learn how to manage different temp zones on the same setting.

LowSlowJoe made it easy for me.  Check out his post, here.
  • #11 by okie smokie on 10 Apr 2020
  • However, I am not a fan of having to learn how to manage different temp zones on the same setting.

[/quote]
    Thats easy for you? For me the RT 590, when set to 225 or such is going to be near 225 in center and within 10* all over the grates.  With the GrillGrates installed and set for "Full" I will get near 580-600* off the GG's when the control reads 525*(or about). I can sear anything with that temp, and if I turn the GG's over to use the flat surface, I can get a fantastic sear/mailard effect. Maybe not as good as direct flame, but we don't miss it. I will admit that if you are wanting to have several things cooking at different temps then the FE500 is slick. 

Now if you want a pit that will do it all, pellets, direct, ceramic briquets, and charcoal, you might look at the new Cuisinart Woodcreek. I've watched several videos and for $500 for the 24" it looks very interesting. It has pellets for smoking, a griddle, a ceramic grill, a charcoal insert, windows, and cast iron grates, with stainless body.  Has a secondary smaller grate that flips up out of the way. Did not see many complaints but also no real technical eval as well. Find it on You Tube.
  • #12 by pmillen on 10 Apr 2020
  • Thats easy for you? For me the RT 590, when set to 225 or such is going to be near 250 in center and within 10* all over the grates.

Yep, easy for me.  Easy for all Cookshack Fast Eddy PG users.  The Fast Eddy PG series was designed to have extremely even and accurate temperature in zone 4 where the thermocouple (or whatever that thing is) is located.

See how even this large pizza baked?

But the beauty of the unit is that there are other zones with slightly different temperatures that can be counted on to be consistent.  Zone 1 is the direct zone over the wood flame where you see the steaks searing.  Zone 2 is directly above  zone 1.  Zone 3 is to the right of zone 2 (see the potatoes?) and zone 4 is the large area at bottom right.

But, just like taste preferences, we all may have varying preferences as to our pit configurations.  I'm happy with my PG500.  You're happy with your REC TEC.  What could be better?

EDIT:  Added the potato comment.

• #13 by MysticRhythms on 11 Apr 2020
  • The PG500 is very easy to use.
    I will admit that just reading about the LHT, HHT, 4 separate zones, etc is a little confusing. But after 1 or 2 cooks it is no trouble at all.
    Add in a read thru of the above mention post by pmillen and it all comes crystal clear.
Pages:
Actions