Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whole tenderloin Advice  (Read 901 times)

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Whole tenderloin Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 05:33:42 PM »

Is that what they call a Hasselback potato?

Yes. It was the first time I made them - they were easy and will make them again.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 05:37:53 PM »

That looks fabulous, what type of sauce did you use?   :lick:

Thanks. The sauce was something I found on the internet and was intended for a whole tenderloin roast - but it worked well with the filets. Great flavor but did not overpower the meat. The full recipe is below - I made about 1/2 for the 4 filets.

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3/4 cup finely chopped shallots, from 2-3 large shallots
1-1/4 cups red wine
3 cups beef broth
6 fresh thyme sprigs
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Melt 5 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the wine, beef broth, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and sugar, and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by about half.
While the liquid is reducing, place the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl and soften in the microwave, if necessary (it should be soft but not melted). Add the flour and, using a small spoon, mix into a smooth paste.

Once the wine mixture is reduced, reduce the heat to low and remove the thyme sprigs. Whisk the flour-butter paste, a teaspoonful at a time, into the simmering liquid, and simmer for a few minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Set aside. (The sauce can be made up to this point and refrigerated up to 3 days ahead of time.)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 06:08:33 PM »

Thanks for sharing, I'm always looking for a good sauce that complements the meat.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 02:19:50 PM »

A whole tenderloin on the smoker is definitely in my future, but I ended up cutting it into filets - just had a craving and couldn't resist.  9oz filets, wrapped with homemade bacon I sliced super thin and seared in clarified butter and then into a 400F oven till done. It was difficult to manage the cooking time and I ended up overcooking them, but they still tasted great. Served with a red wine reduction that was really nice. Still have 4 more filets frozen and we made beef and broccoli with the trimmings.

IDK how I missed this great cook when it was originally posted.  A-1 job on the trimming and execution.  Like my son used to say, when he was about 4, "You're a good cooker."  Around here, we still say it and laugh.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up