Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Free Mr. Tony on 16 Sep 2017
  • I like to listen to music while I'm cooking. I change up often,  but I'll list my current top 5. What's yours?

1.  Jason Isbell, specifically his newest album Nashville sound
    2.  John Moreland
    3.  Mandolin orange (heading to Indy for concert on Tuesday)
    4. Lindsay Lou and the flatbellys
    5. The black Lillies

• #2 by Bobitis on 16 Sep 2017
  • The list is vast. As long as I can appreciate it, it's welcome.

I'm currently listening to jets take off at SeaTac.  ::)
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Sep 2017
  • I spent my formative years as a cellist playing in orchestras, so I probably have a little different list than most (it is also the reason Bent and I never listen to music while traveling in the same car!):

1.  Beethoven
    2.  Tchaikovsky
    3.  Brahms
    4.  Mendelsohn
    5.  Grieg

Yes, yes, very heavy on the Germanic-Nordic guys, but those French and Italians can be soooooo emotive ;D
  • #4 by Bentley on 16 Sep 2017
  • I realize that you are a generation behind me...usually at least I have seen the name, maybe never heard their music, but know the name of the group.  I have never heard or seen any of those 5!
  • #5 by Free Mr. Tony on 16 Sep 2017
  • I realize that you are a generation behind me...usually at least I have seen the name, maybe never heard their music, but know the name of the group.  I have never heard or seen any of those 5!

Other than possibly Jason isbell,  most people my age probably wouldn't either. I don't like pop music at all, and tend to go for the slower lyrical based stuff. I mentioned on pelletheads one time that I'm known as "dj mortuary" by family and friends. No one wants me running the speaker.
  • #6 by Greg1 on 16 Sep 2017
  • I am a classic country music guy when I am running the pit.  You give me some Willie and Waylon and all that stuff from the 70's and early 80's and I am happy!
  • #7 by Quadman750 on 16 Sep 2017
  • Waylon Jennings
    Hank Williams Jr
    Conway Twitty
    George jones
    Johnny Cash
    Merle Haggard
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
    Randy Travis
    Steve Earle
    Travis Tritt
  • #8 by Greg1 on 16 Sep 2017
  • What quadman said
  • #9 by Free Mr. Tony on 16 Sep 2017
  • I spent my formative years as a cellist playing in orchestras, so I probably have a little different list than most (it is also the reason Bent and I never listen to music while traveling in the same car!):

1.  Beethoven
    2.  Tchaikovsky
    3.  Brahms
    4.  Mendelsohn
    5.  Grieg

Yes, yes, very heavy on the Germanic-Nordic guys, but those French and Italians can be soooooo emotive ;D

Very interesting.  I used to go to the Fort Wayne philharmonic with the neighbors as a kid. Haven't been in years, but it is a cool experience. They do more modern shows these days to try to attract younger audiences by playing movie themes, songs from video games, etc. It's not my favorite music, but it's hard not to appreciate what those musicians do.

I checked out the fw philharmonic site. Looks like some great events coming up.
    http://fwphil.org/
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Sep 2017
  • I like the upcoming Fort Wayne Phil schedule, really my kind of classical programs (except for the Bach, I have never been drawn to Bach).  I had season tickets for the LA Phil for years in the mid-80's to early 90's.  Then Esa-Pekka Salonen became director and I was done.   Way too much modern and contemporary classical music.  It was almost like he had a 6th sense -- "hey, Kristin hates Shostakovich , so every program is going to have one symphony by him, maybe two."

I must also say I like Quadman's choices.  I know, a classical cellist who likes country music, strange combo. Do love The Highwaymen.
  • #11 by Bentley on 16 Sep 2017
  • Ahhh, Bach....

Rader Bach
  • #12 by Free Mr. Tony on 16 Sep 2017
  • You old school country fans should check out Jason isbell if you haven't. I've been going to his shows for years,  but he's kind of blowing up these days. I saw him open for Willie Nelson, but he's selling plenty tickets on his own now. His comeback from alcoholism is an uplifting story as well. He was about as low as it gets at one point.

https://youtu.be/N1HqfDQezy0
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Sep 2017
  • PUNK ROCK!!!!!!!! :cool:
  • #14 by pmillen on 16 Sep 2017
  • I don't listen to anything when cooking.

When Chillin', eyes only opening to refill a wine glass, I'll listen to individual pieces like–
    1.  Fauré—Pavane, OP. 50
    2.  Debussy—Claire de Lune
    3.  Saint-Saëns—Carnival of the Animals, XIII, The Swan
    4.  Tchaikovsky—String Quartet No. 1 In D Major, Op. 11: II. Andante cantabile
    5.  Ravel—Pavane For a Dead Princess

When drivin' I'll choose something like–
    1.  Bee Gees
    2.  ABBA
    3.  Rita Coolidge
    4.  The Eagles
    5.  Leo Sayer
  • #15 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Sep 2017
  • I had a music teacher who made me play The Swan as practice.  You had to be able to demonstrate/master all positions because of the range.  It is a beautiful piece when played by a good cellist.   With me, I think it was renamed The Goose.
Pages:
Actions