Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Davy Crockett phone app doesnt change food temp after food probe calibration  (Read 983 times)

mtgavin

• Lurker

Newbie here. Have a Davy Crocket since May 2017.  Mostly enjoy it but it isn't what I would call low maintenance.

I am trying to calibrate the Davy Crockett food probe on my Android smart phone.  There is a youtube video by Dr Smoke that I have been referring to that shows the process. It is at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6SdwLFBZ5U   The grill is powered on, but not burning pellets (heating up) during this calibration.

I am using the Grill Options button under Settings like the video shows, to enter calibration data.

My probe reads 30 degrees when it should read 32 degrees for freezing water, so I am entering the -2 data for freezing temp calibration. 

The problem is that setting the probe calibration data in the Grill Options "Food Probe Adjustment" doesnt seem to affect the phone reading for the food temperature.   

For example, with the probe sitting in icewater it stays at 30 degrees on the phone no matter what I do to the "Food Probe Adjustment" calibration setting. (And yes, I am hitting the "confirm" button after I enter the data.)  No matter what I do to the calibrartion data, the food probe reading on the phone will not change. I can make BIG (+20/-20) changes to the adjustments at freezing and at boiling points, and the phone temp reading simply does not change even after waiting a good minute for the GMS to recompute the new temp.

On the video linked above, see the time 3:28 to 4:21 for what I am trying with the phone. On the video his food temperature reading on his phone updates to a new adjusted value after he enters the calibration data for freezing water. My phone app is not doing that.

I actually have access to my wife's iphone 10. I can connect that phone to the grill and that behaves the same.

Has anyone out there successfully calibrated their Davy Crocket food probes such that you see the grill temp change afterwards on your phone?  If so, please let me know so I know that it is a problem specific to me or my grill, and not a problem for all Davy Crockett's out there.

FYI I have a Davy Crockett running v6.9 firmware. Updated to the latest firmware, smartphone app, etc.

Thanks for any information you may have.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

I do not have this type of grill, but have yet to see a grill temp probe be accurate.  Most of mine have been 3-5° high or low vs my Thermoworks probes.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...

My GMG Daniel Boone changes if I adjust it on my Samsung phone.  I know they are different controllers, but hitting CONFIRM should make it change.  Can you adjust the grill temp to match another thermometer?
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck

Have you discussed this with your dealer?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI

I would suggest calling GMG app support.

Call 1.800.603.3398 - Option 15

I think you should also be entering +2 to raise the temperature if it is reading low.
FE PG 1000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck

BTW, MT, welcome to PF.

I'm confident that you'll discover that there's a lot here besides service advice.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

mtgavin

• Lurker

Thanks for your suggestions.

FYI I did not note in the original post that the issue occurs both for the grill temp itself and ther food probe temp.  The grill does not change either temp after either temp is calibrated through the phone app.

I'm entering in *huge* changes in the calibration data - maxing it out basically - so this should show up in the grill or food temp reported by the grill LED itself, or the phone app.

I have been in contact with GMG support, option 15 for app suppport. Nick helped me. We believe it is NOT an app issue. The reason is since I have *two* phones and the calibration data (the temp change I entered in) shows up on *both* phones.  So, the phone must be getting the calibration data from the grill. So the app is successfully sending the calibration data to the grill, if the "other" phone is able to see it. 

After the calibration is done, when the app reports the grill temperature (i.e. what temp is the grill firebox at), it is reporting the same temp that shows up on the grill LED display itself.  So the app is just reporting what the grill is telling it.  Seems like the grill is ignoring the calibration data.

I called my local dealer today. I think they are willing to help me figure this out but their GMG expert was not in so we didn't get into details. I will call them next week.

I'll let you know what we come up with. 

And P.S. related to WiPelletHead's post, it appears you enter in the difference that the grill is reporting comapred to expected, instead of what the grill should do to correct it. The app says "If your third party temp sensor is 10F above your controller, set the value to +10." So if the food probe reads 30F at freezing, you would enter -2, not +2.  I am trying much larger calibrations than that so this is unrelated to my problem with calibration, though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up