Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 14 Jan 2020
  • Over all, no problem of significance after replacing the original control (one of the probe slots was damaged). They never asked for the old control, so now I have a spare that works perfectly but only has one probe. The only other problem (a leak in the barrel end) was easily solved with high temp caulk for the rivet holes at the end caps.  Have done briskets, butts, and grilled lots of chops, steaks etc. with great results.  Discovered in temps below 40, that the max temp I can get with full throttle is about 470* which is understandable-no insulation.  No problem for me as I can get good searing with my GrillGrates at that temp.  However, much of their competition, now has double wall insulation. I would suggest that RT consider that option for those in colder climates, otherwise they might engineer some pad insulators. Otherwise a great product. 
  • #2 by Bentley on 14 Jan 2020
  • Good that short term is living up to expectations!
  • #3 by Conumdrum on 14 Jan 2020
  • Over all, no problem of significance after replacing the original control (one of the probe slots was damaged). They never asked for the old control, so now I have a spare that works perfectly but only has one probe. The only other problem (a leak in the barrel end) was easily solved with high temp caulk for the rivet holes at the end caps.  Have done briskets, butts, and grilled lots of chops, steaks etc. with great results.  Discovered in temps below 40, that the max temp I can get with full throttle is about 470* which is understandable-no insulation.  No problem for me as I can get good searing with my GrillGrates at that temp.  However, much of their competition, now has double wall insulation. I would suggest that RT consider that option for those in colder climates, otherwise they might engineer some pad insulators. Otherwise a great product.

Welding blanket covered by a moving blanket will take care of those temp issues.... and save you pellets.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 14 Jan 2020

Welding blanket covered by a moving blanket will take care of those temp issues.... and save you pellets.

No chimney, there are 3 oblong vents in the back of the chamber--so can't cover them.  Could cover the front with hooks in the back vents and draped over the lid in front. Then the sides would not be covered. nor the rest of the back or bottom.  Could be done for the 700 easily enough, but mine is 590. Just the hooks and lid cover would help some.  Will look into it.
  • #5 by RanrocSmoker on 15 Jan 2020
  • Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the unit is working out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #6 by okie smokie on 15 Jan 2020

Good to hear from you also.  How is your pit working for you? 
  • #7 by RanrocSmoker on 15 Jan 2020

Good to hear from you also.  How is your pit working for you?
    No problems with the Eco! I did experiment recently with using charcoal on top of the direct flame slider. Heated the grill grate to almost 1000 degrees (985 on one of the temp readings I took with the laser). I over seared the steaks LOL. Plus it was messy to clean up all the ash afterwards.

• #8 by okie smokie on 03 Jun 2020
  • No real problems.  It is slow to get to 500* esp. if using stale? pellets.  Using fresh Lumber Jack Hickory blend.  70 oak/30 hickory. Got up to 500 in 40 minutes today (90* outside temp).  Infra Red temp gun showed 582* on the GrillGrates. Got nice filets done and they were super. The grill is now working well both slow and fast.  Has held up well for one year.  No rust even on the non SS parts. Cleans up easily, and vacuum out bottom every 4 or 5 cooks. No trouble with control and wifi is good at my house.  Would buy it again. Plan==Keep it.   :clap: 
Pages:
Actions