Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous vide question...Please Help  (Read 1382 times)

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
Re: Sous vide question...Please Help
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »

I have a Sous Vide machine that I have only used a few times. But..... I wanna try to make those.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »

I like the shape it gave.  No toothpicks, no butchers twine.  I guess if you vac sealed it in a bag that was just slightly bigger it might hold the shape, but to me it would not have the same shape and form without the wrap.

In another article that I read, they formed them the same way as you did, wrapped in plastic, but then put them in the refrigerator for several hours. This evidently caused them to hold their shape when unwrapped for frying (no SV), I may try this approach prior to bagging to see if it helps.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

dogbreath

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »

Sure looks great, even if dry. Sliced thin on a sandwich with some spread and lettuce for moisture, it even has its own cheese. Good way to make a mistake into a great sandwich.        Dan

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 12:26:01 PM »

And it is going to become a chicken & ham salad sandwich w/Swiss Cheese when it is eaten again!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 12:57:11 PM »

I may have to do the same thing. Nothing turned out right so far. Breast were way too big, I am pounding challenged (part of the breast turned to mush), ham was too thick, the roll-ups were too big to adequately wrap in plastic and the resulting product did not fit in my 6X10" bags. I left them in plastic wrap, vacuum sealed them and into the SV for 3+ hours this afternoon.   :'(   

P.S.  I'm too embarrassed to post pictures, a monkey could have done better with his eyes closed using his feet!         
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »

A couple of questions to see if I can offer any help...Did you butterfly the breast?  Start from the thick side and almost half before tenderizing?  What are you using to tenderize?  Are you putting it in a heavy duty zip lock bag when you tenderize it?

hughver

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »

No, I did not butterfly, in retrospect, I should have. I used an ~3" diameter flat faced hard rubber mallet from my tool box. I did not use a Ziploc bag, should have, the plastic wrap that I used did not have enough rigidity. To make things worst, because of their size, I decided to bake rather than fry, bad idea. Now for the good news, they tasted great, I served with a dijon/parmesan cream sauce, mashed cauliflower (potato substitute) and a broccoli casserole.

Don' laugh.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 11:55:57 AM »

They look pretty good to me and yourr sauce sounds delish!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »

Ya know I am no expert in this dish, but I think your shape is much more traditional then mine.  They look like they came out very well!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:23:36 PM by Bentley »

hughver

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »

Thanks, but by incorporating Bentley's suggestions, obtaining smaller breast and frying, they should be better next time. IMO, SV at 140° worked out very well. By the time that I dried and prepared them for the oven (flour/egg wash/bread crumbs), the IT had dropped to 135-136°, at completion of the bake it was back to 140°. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 05:03:56 PM »

I am still perplexed by the shades of meat color with virtually the same temperatures and appx the same times.  Maybe it is just me, the meat is very tender, but for only a 5° difference, it sure seems like a wide range of color...Maybe cheap camera, operator with no skills and different lighting every time...

For example...Rib Roast 5lbs., 140°, 7 hours...

Rib Roast Peeled, appx 5lbs, 135° 7 hours...

Meat Gloo Roast, 1.5lbs, 5 hours 140°...

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2020, 04:25:35 PM »

Figured I would post in both places as it seems to apply to both.  I see by the FDA chart I should be safe at 60 minutes @ 137°.  I will hope that it is cooked enough.  It has been beaten more then a Government Mule, so it should be tender.  i will be honest, I hold no hope of the butter staying in the meat, but I will just put it in dish and pour over after being fried.

Meat Gloo Hybrid Chicken Kiev

hughver

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 10:28:53 AM »

I see by the FDA chart I should be safe at 60 minutes @ 137°.

Since the time/temperature/safety relates to the thickest part of the meat and we don't have the luxury of a thermometer in the middle, thickness becomes a big role player in total time required. For 1-1 1/2" thick, one hour works great. That thing looks to be 2-3" thick and I'd go 2-3 hours.  :2cents:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »

The walls were only about 3/4 inch, but 1 hour did not feel like enough, so I went an additional hour and up the temperature to 145°.  The meat came out very nice, and to my great surprise, all the compound butter was still inside.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2020, 05:52:29 PM »

My "new" Anova SV came today, I went semi Cheap Screw.  Encouraged by many Members that own some version by this manufacture I went with the Nano Bluetooth.  I went reconditioned for $79, and added the 4 year extended warranty for $10, so still got by cheaper then a new one and I have hopefully a decent warranty!  Will see if this last longer then the Chefman and about 15 cooks it had under its belt.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:23:55 PM by Bentley »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up