Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by okie smokie on 25 Jan 2020
  • Had to leave it with the seamstress at auto upholstery shop.  Been here many years, and used to make tops. Still I am concerned whether they will be able to sew the outlines, cut them out and sew the magnets to the inside near the vent holes without messing up the whole thing. They have nylon/propylene thread, not sure of heat capacity.  But I am planning to cover all inside thread work with gray high heat silicon which should bond well to the fabric ends.  It is very strong as well as heat resistant.  I think I can keep it neat enough that it will not show on the outside.  The SS vent extensions do not fit flush and if I can get the top clean enough will also silicone seal those edges as well so they don't leak smoke and heat around the extensions and under the insulation. Nervous about this. 
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jan 2020
  • I think what you are doing is admirable.  I also think that it is more than necessary.  But, that is your decision and not mine, and I look forward to continue to read you adventure in making this work for you.  If I lived in the Dakotas or north Minnesota or some colder region like that and wanted to cook outside in the winter temps, I may consider what you are doing.
  • #18 by okie smokie on 25 Jan 2020
  • I think what you are doing is admirable.  I also think that it is more than necessary.  But, that is your decision and not mine, and I look forward to continue to read you adventure in making this work for you.  If I lived in the Dakotas or north Minnesota or some colder region like that and wanted to cook outside in the winter temps, I may consider what you are doing.
    You are probably correct,(re. more than necessary.) but I get bored sitting and watching impeachment trials, and that forces me to do OCD type things. If it is a success, it will maybe help those in real need (Dakotas etc).  What got me into it was that it took me 35 to 40 minutes in 30 degree weather to get to 450 when set at 500.  We do have lots of those days for 3 months a year, burned lots of pellets just to grill some steaks.  Remembered that I was very happy with the Traeger blanket with my Lil Tex in the past.  So here we are.
  • #19 by Brushpopper on 26 Jan 2020
  • I get bored pretty easy too and look for things to do.  Nothing my wife thinks is important like trimming trees and hedges, etc.  Some project I deem important at the time and a reason to be outside.  Keep up the good work because you never know who else this could help.
  • #20 by okie smokie on 29 Jan 2020
  • Progress!  Retrieved the pad from the seamstress and cancelled that job.  Then purchased a spool of kevlar thread, and re-designed the job with the pad turned 180*.  In other words, the front of pad at back of pit.  That removed the precut holes from the front and places them on the back.  Took it to another seamstress, and got it done, today. Had to seal the cut edges with gray ultra high temp silicone to avoid shedding of the internal fiberglass padding, but doubt that anyone will notice.  Two magnets attached at the same level as the new vent holes.  Dry overnight, mount it tomorrow, and test.  Pics will follow.   :D
  • #21 by Canadian John on 30 Jan 2020

•  A master of innovation... Waiting on the pics.
  • #22 by okie smokie on 30 Jan 2020
  • Here is the final revised fitting. Did a test run and while the magnets in bottom back (3 sewn in), lost their magnetism while hot, and the back fell away from the barrel at the bottom, the results were still very good:
    Temp set on full, amibient temp 36, no breeze. temp up to 404 in 20 minutes (about the same as without blanket), BUT 500*(498*) reached in 30 min. instead of 45 min. with a much smoother upward curve.  Also, while not measured, I can tell that the pellet use was less, since there was not the usual deep depression over the auger area. Will be able to test pellet consumption later I hope.  Now running the temp down and will turn off.  When cool, will inspect the blanket for any damage etc. and also work out a way to anchor it in back better. Over all a good result.

• #23 by Bentley on 30 Jan 2020
  • Came out very nice!
  • #24 by Canadian John on 30 Jan 2020

•  Nice write-up.  Good to see it done and how it performed.. Most interesting is the heat-up time reduction in the high temperature range.  I am sure we will be hearing more as you get some more test time on it.
  • #25 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Jan 2020
  • Nice idea, execution, and content for this site.  I wouldn't be surprised if RecTec takes the idea for their own.
  • #26 by okie smokie on 30 Jan 2020
  • Thanks all for the comments. Temp was still climbing to 511 when I turned it down.  Might as well forget the original sewn in magnets,as they lost their grab with the heat. The big round aftermarkets that you see under the vents are not needed there.  I will use them at the low back area.  Will bolt them thru with large washer on top and magnet underneath, so that the whole magnet face is on the metal.  It is ceramic and will hold well in the heat down there.  When the top is opened the vents have great clearance, and of course the heat at that moment is coming straight out of the open pit. I found no evidence of burn, char, or breakdown otherwise.  Actually surprised at the improvement in performance with the area that was covered well, just 5 of the 8 panels of the octagon barrel.  If it holds up it will be a November-March season.  Now___ WAS IT WORTH THE COST? $175 TOTAL.  I don't think so, and would not rec. this mod unless you live in the great north where regular use would pay for it in a season or two. But it was fun for me.
  • #27 by okie smokie on 01 Feb 2020
  • As usual I changed my plans: Found some heat resistant rope at the local Buck Stove store, and just tied the lower back of the insulator to the back legs of the pit.  Good enough.   
  • #28 by RanrocSmoker on 02 Feb 2020
  • Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #29 by okie smokie on 02 Feb 2020
  • Low Slow Test Results:
    I usually don't low slow below 225, but as extra measure, I set the pit for 200* with ambient temp of 67 and sunny. Almost no breeze.  Placed my Maverick temp sensor first on the left side-center of grill about 3 inches from left edge of grate, then moved it to center/center and finally to right/center 3 inches from right wall.  Set control to 200*. 
    1.  Only took about 8-10 min. to get to temp
    2.  At that temp the fan goes on and off to promote smoke.  And it smoked almost continuously, so no complaints there.
    3.  Control remained on 200* almost all of the time with occ. drifts up to 202 (rare) and back.
    4.  Maverick at left side range was 194-200 but averaged about 198*
    5.  Maverick moved to center/center ranged 194-202 but averaged 198
    6.  Maverick moved to right/center ranged from 196-205 but averaged around 200.
    All controls were set to factory, except the auger which I had previously set at 75 (factory default is 65)
    Averaged about  20 minutes at each station. 

I am amazed at how close the temps were across the grates, and how stable during the whole experiment.
    No way to test the pellet use but it appeared low in general to me.
    I think that will conclude my overcoat experiment on a positive note.   :D
  • #30 by Canadian John on 02 Feb 2020

•  Wow. That's some impressive okie.
Pages:
Actions