Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gonna Make Overcoat for Stampede  (Read 1806 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Gonna Make Overcoat for Stampede
« on: January 18, 2020, 05:17:46 PM »

No problem using the 590 in cold weather, but it is not double layered inside. So after some research, I am going to adapt one of the Traeger coats for it.  It is the coat that will fit the Tex or new Pro 780.  I measured the 780 and it is 32" wide. (odd number--usually 24" or 36" for most models). No problem with a little side overlap. However, will have to measure and cut out holes for the 3 exhaust vents. I worried how I would keep the fabric from sliding over those vents when opening and closing.  Pending solution:  I have ordered 2.5" flat round ceramic magnets, very powerful, to place over the fabric around those vents. The SS is 430 so is magnetic.  Ceramic magnets are the best at keeping their magnetism with heat (good to 300* C ==572* F) and are not depleted till much hotter.  Once I get it trimmed down as nec. I have a neighbor who does sewing for others.  Will have her seam around the holes, etc. I can get a good sear now with the GGs but takes longer at 470* and gobbles pellets. Should pay for itself in short order on the long slow cooks.  :cool:
"Someone asked Edmund Hillary why he climbed Everest. He answered Because it was there." Or something to that effect.

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Gonna Make Overcoat for Stampede
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 06:13:23 PM »

There is a guy that makes these on the one FB page.

They look well made, would keep the exhaust open.

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 06:41:47 PM »

There is a guy that makes these on the one FB page.

They look well made, would keep the exhaust open.

Looks great but with those I would have to slide the blanket down to the chimney base and that would work. However, ads a lot of structure (which you will have to clean out from time to time).  I think my adaptation will work for me.  Just have to get it together and trim, sew, and once the magnets are added, it won't move. Just got the magnets, wow, they are powerful! He sure did a nice job with the mod. Thanks for the input. I will send pics when I get 'er done. Fingers crossed that it does not get too complicated.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:44:46 PM by okie smokie »

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 10:25:18 AM »

Sounds good to me okie. Waiting to see the pics and how it worked. If your cold is like ours, the inaugural run should prove the insulation blanket's worth.

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:52 PM »

Mild winter here, but we have our cold days.  Enough in the 40's and below to make the blanket worth while. Not serious enough though to go ahead if the task is going to be too difficult. Waiting to see the exact width of the blanket.  Seems like no one wants to give up that dimension. Would appreciate it if someone out there with a Texas will tell me the width of the barrel. The new series pro 780 is 32 inches but the blankets were made for the Texas series. Not sure if they are 32 or 36 inches.  I emailed the Traeger service and they answered 15" x 2.5" ?????? Hard to get good help these days!  I'm sure your winters are are more blanket worthy.   :help:

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »

Not sure if this will help answer anything for you, heck you probably already have seen it, but just in case.

Also I believe the Texas was replaced by the 34, the Texas is also what RT cloned for the 680 and 700. I had a Treager Texas front shelf on my 680, bolted right on.

https://www.traegergrills.com/images/en-us/PDFs/Full-Comparison_LoRes_3.25.pdf

okie smokie

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »

Well the Traeger series 34 blanket is 36" wide, bulky, and thick,  It is very good for the Texas series but won't adapt for my 590. Too thick for the magnets too.  Also looked at a fiberglass welding blanket today.  Piece of xxxx, with loose fiberglass everywhere which gets into your skin, sticks to the pit and will get inside on the food as well.  Also an inhalant hazard. So will avoid that.  Back to the drawing table.  If spring comes first will skip all this.   :'(

okie smokie

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »

Not sure what you want to drop on something, maybe you could make this work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2M17RL/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07H2M17RL&pd_rd_w=Uty5f&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=Ar6mx&pf_rd_r=B67HENB1E6H61AGAHN0G&pd_rd_r=a34cb3fe-96a1-4673-b7f8-d2fc89ab1104&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzT1VNRjZJWEhORDdTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ2MDk5RDBJNkNHVlVSQzZKJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NDE4MjUyRklYQ0FMVThXVEFNJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Nice. No fiberglass contamination there. I would warn all who have used the fiberglass welding blankets. They shed pieces of fiberglass everywhere and are poorly woven to begin with. That stuff gets into your skin, your clothes, into your smoker and is dangerous to your health if swallowed, or inhaled. Also, foreign body in your eyes.  I would advise all our friends who have used the fiberglass welders blankets to get rid of them pronto. There are some silicone covered fb blankets that are probably safe enough but I would not go for that either. Carbon fiber seems ok and perhaps a better insulator?  Thanks for the info.  Pricy. 

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 09:27:23 AM »

Not sure what you want to drop on something, maybe you could make this work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2M17RL/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07H2M17RL&pd_rd_w=Uty5f&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=Ar6mx&pf_rd_r=B67HENB1E6H61AGAHN0G&pd_rd_r=a34cb3fe-96a1-4673-b7f8-d2fc89ab1104&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzT1VNRjZJWEhORDdTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ2MDk5RDBJNkNHVlVSQzZKJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NDE4MjUyRklYQ0FMVThXVEFNJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I've been trying to figure out something for my Maverick and this might fit the need (or one of the smaller ones).  Especially since the factory version is $275 and out of stock.  My GMG blanket works kind of, so I might stick with it but I don't like the fit because of the way the chimney is positioned in the roll top lid.  We don't get too terribly cold here, so I'm not sure why I think I need one.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

okie smokie

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »

Current status:  Traeger, and welders blanket are out.  Both returned for full refund.
Pending: Pit Boss 820 series blanket will be here to test Friday. This blanket was reported to be 29.5" wide. Will need a little mod around the handles, and holes for the exhausts.  Looks promising. Will report when available. It will be a one piece which will cover enough of the barrel to allow for max temp with less pellets. (hopefully)

okie smokie

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 07:57:30 PM »

Got the Pitt Boss 820 blanket today.  It is gonna work well. My main goal is not to get the best overcoat, but instead to get good enough  conservation of heat and pellets to be able to reach full high temp and save pellet expense. I decided the best way to address the handles was to remount them over the blanket. Then will have a local seat cover maker, stitch and cut the holes for the chimney vents. Will use the RT chimney extensions (poorly made IMO--but will do) to hold the vent cuts in place.  Magnets if needed.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 08:34:57 PM »

Looks like you have it figured out.

okie smokie

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 11:06:22 PM »

Looks like you have it figured out.
Cutting the vents and anchoring them adequately will be the big challenge. Tomorrow---

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 07:44:39 AM »

Looks like that will work just fine IMO.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up