Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pitmaster Q3  (Read 1238 times)

Chuck

Pitmaster Q3
« on: September 16, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »

Hi, I used pelletheads extensively but didn't post much. I'm from Wisconsin with a heavily modified and nearly rusted out Traeger  ;)

I have a buddy who has a pitmaster Q3 that he can smoke with but not grill. Doesn't get hot enough. So I removed the restrictor rod from the auger and put a set of grillgrates in for him and it's way better.

However, sometimes the fire goes out (did it before the modification too) and I wonder if anyone knows how the controller is programmed? I would post it in a pit forum but not sure which category the pitmaster fits into.

Looks similar to many other entry level pellet grills but the controller is completely different than the Traeger.

Thank you.

Chuck

Re: Pitmaster Q3
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:42:44 PM »

Does it have an adjustable p setting like the Traeger?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »

I Performance Tested the one on PH.  As I recall it had a controller similar to my old digital Traeger, it did have a P setting.  It was like the 12 position controller.  I am not sure what you mean by how it is programmed?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Chuck

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:07:27 AM »

I'm mainly thinking of the sequence of operation, like how it cycles the auger in smoke settings and also at temperature. The dial is different from the Traeger in that there are no steps, it can be turned to any point, without clicks if you know what I mean. So there is a fairly wide range just within the smoke band on the dial. I just wondered how it works.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »

That is correct, I had forgot that feature. I would direct you to Pelletheads, but not sure if/when they are coming back up.  And I do not think the Performance Test would answer your question.  The unit I Performance Tested is at my volunteer fire department, I could go look at it for you.  But I also do not believe I could get the info you are looking for just by starting it up!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Chuck

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »

I appreciate your help. I had a very busy week and wasn't able to get back here to reply.

It works almost exactly as the traeger. It has identical p settings and timing seems to be the same.

I figured out why it suddenly shuts off, the RTD probe is flaky.  Suddenly the temp display would jump 100 or more degrees and when it would jump over 500 the controller would shut down.  I put an ohm meter on it and when ever I tap it the ohms would jump several Kohms.

Have a new one coming.

My buddy gave me a lot of leeway so I modified it like I did my traeger, removed restrictor rod, a full set of grill grates.  Should really make him happy once he gets it back.

The paint started peeling so he got a check for $400 from the warranty company, so he almost has a free grill plus what he pays me for the repair and modification.
Pages: [1]   Go Up