Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2020
  • Going to make one now, even though a pretty simple dish, thought I might document it for some content.  I happen to have ground beef, pork and venison today so mine will consist of that.  Will update this over the next few hours with pictures and comments.

5 lbs. Ground Meat (this recipe is 2lb ground beef, 2lbs venison and 1 lb pork,)
    1 large Spanish Onion, fine chop.
    3 tsp seasoning salt
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp Accent (MSG).
    1.5 tsp rosemary
    1 tsp thyme
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp white pepper
    1 egg
    3/4 cup crushed Ritz.

Mix in all ingredients in stand mixer and form.  Cook at 325° till internal temperature is X° (your desired temperature), should take 1 1/2 to 2 hours for IT of 150°.  Equal parts Kraft Original BBQ Sauce and Heinz 57 (2 TBS each) for glaze if so desired for a slight crust.
  • #2 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2020
  • Meat used is a personal choice.  I usually use beef and pork in about a 3 to 1 ratio.  I have some venison, so I am including it.  1st photo is from R to L, is very lean venison and pork top and bottom respectively.  Then a mixture of venison loin with 35% fat from a Choice Rib Roast, then 75%/25% store bought ground beef.  2nd photo counter clockwise is 2 lbs. GB, 1lb lean venison, 1lb. venison mix and 1 lb pork.

I will now go and add spices, then mix.

• #3 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2020
  • On to mixing and spices.  1 large Spanish Onion, fine chop. 3 tsp seasoning salt, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 1 tsp Accent (MSG). 1.5 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 egg, 3/4 cup crushed Ritz.  Mix in stand mixer and form.  Equal parts Kraft Original BBQ Sauce and Heinz 57 (2 TBS each) for crust.

I decided I would go with the way my Mom used to shape it and see if it has any effect on "cracks"...Will cook with Oak pellet on Memphis Pro 2nd shelf @ 325° on Frogmat till IT is 150°.

• #4 by hughver on 28 Jan 2020
  • Looks good, what temperature are you shooting for?
  • #5 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2020
  • 150°.  It is 135° after 90 minutes.

• #6 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2020
  • Best Meatloaf I have made since living in Mayberry! 

No more loaf pans as forms, not sure why, but the wider, lower profile is just how I remember the texture when Mom made it.  For me, it could have used double the amount of spices.  Kristin will have to weigh in about flavor.  The texture is just wonderful and I can't wait for the 1st sandwich!

As you can see from the plate I way over did it and am now paying the price for that!  But boy do I love BBQed Meatloaf!

• #7 by yorkdude on 29 Jan 2020
  • That looks really good, plenty of juice.
  • #8 by cookingjnj on 29 Jan 2020
  • Looks great Bentley and thanks for the play by play accounting.  Now I am jonesing for meatloaf.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 29 Jan 2020
  • Looks good, did you just use the mixing bowl to form it? I am making one one this weekend, probably won't be in the pellet cooker, I have no where to cook outside on the winter. I may put it in the little cookshack electric. Stopped at a meat market or butcher shop whtever you may want to call it, they have meatloaf mix 60/40 beef/pork I have about 3 pounds after making burgers tonight. Never tried the ritz crackers I may do that. The last few times I have made it i just used a box of stove top  stuffing and some onions and eggs.
  • #10 by litzerski on 29 Jan 2020
  • Looks and sounds great...I love a meatloaf cooked over fire!

How dense did it end up being?  I usually mix mine by hand.  I don't like my meatloaf too loose, but not too dense either. 

I've been on a big MSG kick lately...I've been adding it to almost everything.
  • #11 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2020
  • I did just that!  I don't know if you can tell the scope of this bowl, but it is huge.  Imagine one of the huge salad bowls at a salad bar.  It worked very well and will be my go to from now on.  Just like a giant hamburger pattie!

Looks good, did you just use the mixing bowl to form it?

• #12 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2020
  • I would have to say very dense (the way I like), can't even think of an example. Almost like cutting a well cooked brisket.

How dense did it end up being?  I usually mix mine by hand.  I don't like my meatloaf too loose, but not too dense either. 
  • #13 by Jimsbarbecue on 30 Jan 2020
  • Will have to try this
  • #14 by KeithG on 30 Jan 2020
  • I like to form mine in a Pullman loaf pan and then let it set up in the fridge overnight. Then I pop it out of the pan and into the RecTec. My reason is that the pan is 4 x 4 x 8. For sandwiches, we slice off a couple of 3/4” slices, put them into a cast iron pan and fry them to each side until warm. Fits crust to crust on a slice of bread.
  • #15 by hughver on 31 Jan 2020
  • Great idea, I'll try that on my next meat loaf.
Pages:
Actions