Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Canadian John on 12 Feb 2020

•  +1.. Cornbread is an excellent cook for new cast iron..The skillet is coming along nicely..I like this thread.
  • #17 by glitchy on 12 Feb 2020
  • That's a lot of dough for a skillet, but you are really making me want one of these. Can't wait to see more testing results.
  • #18 by Kristin Meredith on 13 Feb 2020
  • Did a high heat cook of a steak in the skillet tonight.  Let the skillet heat on the biggest propane burner for 10 minutes before cooking.  Seared on one side about 90 seconds, then flipped, turned burner off and put in a 400 degree oven to finish cooking.  We could not get a read on the surface heat of the skillet, but I think the video shows the heat.

Sirloin Steak in Grizzly Pan

• #19 by yorkdude on 14 Feb 2020
  • Good pictures but that second one made my mouth water. Cooked absolutely perfect.
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Feb 2020
  • I find it interesting how much juice escaped that meat on the cutting board.  I rarely see that when I make a steak on low temps on the smoker.  Anyone have a clue why?
  • #21 by Bentley on 14 Feb 2020
  • No rest would be guess number one.  If that meat had sat 5 minutes, I doubt that would happen quite as much.  I have 2 Sirloin left, we know what happen with no rest, I guess we will see what 5 minutes does.  Never have Sirloin, forgot how good it is and around $4 at Costco.
  • #22 by cookingjnj on 14 Feb 2020
  • Kristin and Bent, thanks for the high heat test.  Answered my earlier question.  Steak looked awesome as well.
  • #23 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Feb 2020
  • Wanted to post some pictures of clean up of the pan.

Pan after high heat cook of steak:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Then washed with hot soapy water and sponge:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Then washed with Barkeeper's Friend:

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #24 by pmillen on 14 Feb 2020
  • Then washed with hot soapy water and sponge:

Then washed with Barkeeper's Friend:

The question for future owners:  Is scrubbing with Barkeeper's Friend worth the time and effort just to try to restore the beautiful factory finish?
  • #25 by Bentley on 14 Feb 2020
  • How much work was required with the Bar Keepers to get it to the state in the photo?
  • #26 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Feb 2020
  • Any performance degradation on future cooks after the nice clean up?
  • #27 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Feb 2020
  • How much work was required with the Bar Keepers to get it to the state in the photo?

I washed and scrubbed for several minutes with soapy water and sponge and not great results after this particular cook.  Prior cooks it was not real lengthy to wash and have a clean skillet.  I probably scrubbed for about 4 to 5 minutes with Barkeepers to try and get as much off as possible.

In the future, if there are real cooked on bits, I will probably start with Barkeepers and save time.
  • #28 by Bentley on 14 Feb 2020
  • So did the surface feel as smooth in picture 2 as picture 3?  Is it merely a color thing?
  • #29 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Feb 2020
  • So did the surface feel as smooth in picture 2 as picture 3?  Is it merely a color thing?

Did not even think to test the feel.  It looked dirty to me;  I know, a novel concept for you that you may not fully grasp.
  • #30 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Feb 2020

Did not even think to test the feel.  It looked dirty to me;  I know, a novel concept for you that you may not fully grasp.

:rotf:
Pages:
Actions