Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 12 Feb 2020
  • I am curious if anyone owns one and if what are your thoughts.  It looks like it cold be a good pellet grill for RV camping
  • #2 by TravlinMan on 12 Feb 2020
  • I am curious if anyone owns one and if what are your thoughts.  It looks like it cold be a good pellet grill for RV camping

It should fill that niche fine.  Size, weight, and function as well as price.

I purchased an early Traeger PTG exactly for camping and my RV. It just nicely fits in the under belly of my RV fine and is light enough for one person to carry. It is not without its issues, but for camping, very workable.

I don’t know exactly why, but I also purchased this little Country Smoker a month or so back when Menards were clearancing them out, approx. $150 with the rebate. 

Easy assembly out of box, bolt the 4 little legs/feet on the bottom, screws are already in the holes on the bottom of the unit and not in a lost bag, unbolt the lid handle from the inside of the lid and bolt it back on the outside of the lid.

These little units look like they will be widely available through Walmart, Home Depot etc for around $200 to $225 range.  Just did quick internet search..

It appears Dansons, the parent company, has taken a serious look at the PTG and cleaned up most of its issues. It is less expensive, a little lighter, redesigned the pellet hopper to prevent it from funneling out, a little more cooking area, direct flame option on the grease tray and hopefully a little better temperature controller.

It will be interesting to see how these little units work out in the real world..

Overall, it appears to be a good fit for RV camping.. 

Should also work well for 1 to 2 people, small home setting.

Time will tell how these will perform out in the wild...

TravlinMan........... :bbq:
  • #3 by okie smokie on 13 Feb 2020
  • Bought one for my son's motor home.  He has used and is very happy with it.  No report on low slow cooking. A lot like the Traeger model but half the price.  I paid $186.  About 42 lbs. 
  • #4 by urnmor on 13 Feb 2020
  • I will be laid up awhile with my knee operations however I suspect I will buy one the week I get home to console me.
     :cool: :clap:
  • #5 by hughver on 13 Feb 2020
  • knee operations

Been there, done that, they heal quickly, you should good to go in no time.  ;D
  • #6 by GJW1 on 02 Jun 2020
  • Any updates on how this little smoker performs?  Temperature controls, etc.  It looks interesting...

Thanks,
    Greg
  • #7 by TravlinMan on 02 Jun 2020
  • Sorry, haven't lit it up yet. Too many others in the collection. 

Will likely thin the herd a bit and then light it up.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 03 Jun 2020
  • My son has used his several times now mostly for short cooks.  He says it has been great but has one warning.  When grilling fatty foods at high temp (450) you can get a grease fire on occasion.  It only happened to him with 80/20 burgers.  Did not last long or cause damage.
    Since I know he uses the grill daily and most likely twice daily, when in the motor home, and does not often clean in between, I would suggest that cleaning the drip pan and emptying the trap after each use would probably prevent that. For most of us that would be routine anyhow. It is so compact that cleaning is a no brainer.  He has not used for low slow cook yet.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 04 Jun 2020
  • Forgot to add: The Country Smoker is around $200 or less, and same size and capacity of the Traeger Scout at $299.  The Traeger Ranger has a 5 lb capacity of pellets, and a more modern control system and is $399.  After reading reports from users, it was a no brainer. Personally I thought that the Country Smoker was as well built and functional.  You won't be doing any big turkeys on them, but chicken, pork shoulders, and such should be no problem.  Also, at 42 lbs it is easy to carry and set up. But you will need a table top to place it on. (no problem at most camp sites). However, you might want to carry a collapsible card/picnic table with you.  Also forgot to comment that the Traeger models have 12 volt conversion system, so if you don't have 120 volt, you can hook up to car battery.  CST does not. 
  • #10 by 4given on 01 Jul 2020
  • Is this the same thing as the Country Smokers FRONTIER SERIES 256-sq in Black Pellet Grill they sell at Lowes and Home Depot?

• #11 by TravlinMan on 02 Jul 2020
  • Is this the same thing as the Country Smokers FRONTIER SERIES 256-sq in Black Pellet Grill they sell at Lowes and Home Depot?

Looks like it is.. checked the Lowe’s web site and it looks just like the one sitting out on my grilling cart.
  • #12 by 4given on 06 Jul 2020

Looks like it is.. checked the Lowe’s web site and it looks just like the one sitting out on my grilling cart.

Thanks! Got one ordered from Lowes!
Pages:
Actions