Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of an Era  (Read 735 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
End of an Era
« on: February 16, 2020, 10:07:28 PM »

I live in a small rural village that has about 400 homes and Main Street is only a few blocks long. In the last few months the town has taken some pretty big hits. The auto parts store, the hardware store, an antique store, and even one of the two bars in town ended up closing their doors.

Saturday the hardware store held its final clearance sale. The store itself has remained about the same over the last several decades. It has the creaky wood floor and shelves with just about anything you needed from plumbing, to paint, to lawn and garden. Even though it was nothing like the big box stores with endless options; rest assured, if they didn’t have it you really did not need it!

One of the greatest places to look for things was upstairs in housewares. They had an incredible assortment of unique things. As I trudged up the stairs for one last time, the shelves were pretty well picked over. However, if you rummaged around enough there were still some good “finds”.

After picking up a fry pan and some muffin tins I was on my way out when I looked on the top shelf and there I found it. I was staring at a 1960’s vintage “Farberware Open Hearth Electric Broiler and Rotisserie”. It was new in the box, but the box looked like it had seen better days. It was dusty and held together with duct tape. I don’t know who engineered the cardboard packaging, but it was pure genius. It was meticulous and everything inside the box was still as bright and shiny as the day it left the factory!

It was a bittersweet find and truly represents the end of an era. Mom and Pop hardware stores are no longer able to compete and are going by the wayside, yielding to the chain stores. I think this store had been in the same family for at least a couple of generations and had been in business for over a hundred years. At least the couple who owned it were able to sell and retire. Not sure what if anything will be coming soon.

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
Re: End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 10:29:57 PM »

Here are some pictures of the store and the rotisserie. The hardware store is next to the market and has the red awning.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:38:20 PM by jdmessner »
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:16:41 PM »

Here are some pictures of the store and the rotisserie. The hardware store is next to the market and has the red awning.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Judging from the picture of the stores you can see that all the closings have turned the village upside down! I tried to flip the photo, but no luck.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 07:49:17 AM »

Judging from the picture of the stores you can see that all the closings have turned the village upside down!

Oh, I thought that you might be in the Southern Hemisphere.   ;)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »

I've been in a few of those places and love them.  Always something interesting in there along with stuff I don't need but buy anyway.  It's a shame when one closes.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 08:57:57 AM »

That is so reminiscent small town economy, or for that matter, our modern day economy..I am afraid to think of what the future will bring.. Just about everything and anything so impersonal now.

As was said, "times are a changin".  In retrospect we have come along way and will continue to discover and make changes..  What's next?

Good post jd.

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 05:50:47 PM »

Great write up, JD!

Was gonna PM you, but I'll just do it here.
The holidays are over -spring is coming.
  You know what we gotta do -
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

urnmor

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 06:10:51 PM »

It is sad to see the Mom and Pops store close :(

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »

Great write up, JD!

Was gonna PM you, but I'll just do it here.
The holidays are over -spring is coming.
  You know what we gotta do -

Thanks! I've been thinking the same thing. Let's do it soon!!

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:41:56 PM »

Well the mom & pop stores in Marcellus aren't the only ones going on the chopping block, JD.

Macy's recently announced that they will be closing 125 stores nationwide over the next three years.
One of the major news outlet reported  -

"Macy's planned closings follow years of struggles at US department stores, which have been bruised by the rise of Amazon (AMZN) and the expansion of low-price clothing chains like TJMaxx."

Rough time in the retail business.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »

I would guess Macy's and JC Penney's will be gone within 5 years if not sooner.  On the east coast, there is a sporting goods store, Modell's that was family owned and in business for 100+ years.  They just announced store closings on Friday and it would not be surprising if they are gone in the next 6-12 months.  Party City is probably another one that is on the verge of bankruptcy too.  Not to mention Sears/Kmart.  The Sears nearest to me that has been an anchor of a former mall since the 60s closed last Sunday.  It's almost heartbreaking watching these places you shopped at most of your life close their doors.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up