Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous Vide Burnt Ends  (Read 331 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Sous Vide Burnt Ends
« on: February 25, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »

These burnt ends are being made from the point of a 17 lb. packer that I sous vide at 135° for 48 hours last December. My plan is to put them in the smoker or oven at 350° until the IT of the cubes reaches 185-190°. Any thoughts of how I might do them different?  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Sous Vide Burnt Ends
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »

I put them on the smoker in a pan after mixing in sauce with smoker set to 250 degrees and let them go for 3-5 hours until they start to candy.  Requires stirring on occasion and letting the sauce evaporate.  All of this after they had been sous vide previously for 8-24 hours.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:42:08 PM »

I haven't fired up one of the smokers since the first of the year. I'll probably do them in the oven since I don't think that they would acquire much more smoke being in a pan. I will lower my oven temperature to 250 per your suggestion. Maybe go to 350-400 at the end to get a little char.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:44:30 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 11:03:06 PM »

I would think they are tender enough, no need to worry about any kind of IT.  The Old Tymers would separate the point and flat when the flat was done.  They would rerub the point and put it back on the pit whole, usually 2-4 more hours for even more bark, then cube, sauce and sometimes caramelize, sometimes stick then right on a sandwich.

You already have the tenderness down.  Just seems you need to decide how to finish.  Lews plan is good, or you could rub the cubes, spread them out on some mats and cook a little to put some bark on them .  Then sauce and finish to your liking.  Lots of options for you. 

Looking forward to seeing the end results!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:04:38 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 09:25:49 PM »

So, I am considering a new approach.

1) cut pork shoulder into cubes
2) rub and put on smoker at 200 degrees for a few hours
3) let cool
4) apply bbq sauce
5) place in unsealed bag to freeze for an hour or two
6) vac seal
7) sous vide for 12 hours at 140
8) fridge
9) put on smoker in a pan at 300 until like candy

anyone saucing before sous vide before?  see any problems with it other than it taking several days from start to finish?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 01:38:34 AM »

I've never sauced before sous vide but I like your idea with one exception. I'd be a little concerned that 12 hours may not be long enough to over come the connective tissues. I don't think that the small size of the cubes offsets the need for lengthy sous vide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up