Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by glitchy on 02 Mar 2020
  • After using a Traeger Silverton 620 for just a couple days because food tasted the same as cooking it in an oven, I ordered and received a new Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 24 on Friday. Bentley's performance test of the 'classic' model help push me that direction. For those unaware, the new Woodwind models are a cross between the Woodwind Classic and SmokePro SG models Bentley did performance tests on. Basically, it's a SmokePro SG, with stainless lid and vent cap, bottom shelf, and the new WiFi controller. I also ordered a SearBox, but ordered it separately since the grand total was the same so if I don't like that I still have the shelf to put back on the grill. It has a taller cooking chamber and probably double the upper shelf space.

So far, I'm very impressed with the grill. Temps seem pretty even left to right, WiFi works and the app is simple and effective. I loved the ash kicker on my STX and seems slightly improved on the Woodwind with a slide lock. The new PID WiFi controller still offers the low and high smoke (160, 220) along with a smoke setting for temps 350 and below. The disclaimer on it was just that the higher the setting the more the temps will very. I ran it for a few hours Friday night playing with the different smoke settings and it appeared to me that 1 vs 5 vs 10 didn't widen the range they fluctuated, but more just how much they bounce up and down. They actually stayed decently tight, just bouncing mostly +/- 15 degrees.

Reverse seared some filets on Saturday and they turned out great. I wasn't awed by the sear box, but it worked. I do have some GrillGrates on the way for it though. Yesterday, I cooked some ribs for lunch and meatloaf, baked potatoes, and biscuits for dinner. Everything turned out well and could taste smoke on the ribs.

I've also already slightly modded the grill. I ordered the old flat grease tray for the non SG models and cut the tray to fit over the SG rails. I want a flat tray to use 90% of the time so I can easily wrap in foil. I might try the perforated tray with some burgers and chops though.

I haven't seen anything that gives me potential concerns with this pit, so I think it will stick around for a while. The weirdest thing I've noticed is I haven't seen a tool hook anywhere on it. They include a bottle opener, but no tool hooks? Camp Chefs are not built like tanks, so it probably isn't going to last 10-15 years, but the quality does seem improved since the SmokePro STX I had was built. I had no problems with that grill either, it just felt flimsy. The Woodwind still doesn't feel anywhere near as sturdy as the Weber or Memphis for sure.
  • #2 by Canadian John on 02 Mar 2020

•  Well. There is a happy camper. Good to hear it's working well. 
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Mar 2020
  • I think my old neighbor that I am going to visit in TN has a Camp Chef that I recommended to him based on the performance test Bentley did too.  I will get to see it in person in a few weeks.
  • #4 by Finn on 02 Mar 2020
  • Nice looking smoker. They have improved since I got mine 5 years ago. My DLX is still running strong, although I did swap out the controller to Savannah Stocker in January.
  • #5 by glitchy on 09 Mar 2020
  • Had a pretty busy week and it's been terribly windy here. Thursday we had 50+ gusts, and all weekend 20-25 sustained with 30+ gusts. I still fought it yesterday to reverse sear a couple strips and cook a mexi-chuck (chuck roast with Mexican rub) for shredded beef tacos. It worked pretty well, held its temps well despite the wind.

I'm still not very impressed with the Sear Box though. It's fine, but seems susceptible to the wind and uneven with the heat. If I didn't have other options, I'd probably enjoy it more. If you have a gasser or are willing to light charcoal for searing a steak, I'd probably recommend passing on it.
Pages:
Actions