Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by Bentley on 20 May 2021
  • How long and what temperature to get drumstick tender?  I want to get the meat cooked and tender, then dredge and deep fry for about 3-5 minutes.  Anyone have any date forme on this one?  I mean fork tender!
  • #47 by hughver on 20 May 2021
  • I do both thighs and drumsticks at 165° for about two hours.
  • #48 by Bentley on 20 May 2021
  • And they will be pulled/shredded chicken consistency?
  • #49 by hughver on 20 May 2021
  • I never shred chicken so I can't answer that question. What I do know is that if you start at room temperature they will be very eatable. If you are in doubt, let them go for 3-4 hours, it can't hurt.
  • #50 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 May 2021
  • If you have the time, put single drumsticks in separate bags and cook them for different lengths of time until you get what you desire.  Throw them all in at once and pull them out an hour apart from each other - one at 2hrs, another at 3hrs, etc.
  • #51 by Bentley on 20 May 2021
  • Hey, this aint an MIT lab, I want someone else to do all the work and I benefit from it!    :pig:  I am having eggs and CB hash for dinner, so I may just do the old 2, 4 & 6 hours and see how it works tomorrow.
  • #52 by hughver on 20 May 2021
  • If you go too long they will get mushy.
  • #53 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 May 2021
  • Hey, this aint an MIT lab, I want someone else to do all the work and I benefit from it!    :pig:  I am having eggs and CB hash for dinner, so I may just do the old 2, 4 & 6 hours and see how it works tomorrow.

I will stick to sandwiches then  ;)
  • #54 by pmillen on 20 May 2021
  • I'm sure this is not what you want to hear. https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-recipes/more/sous-vide-shredded-chicken-thigh-enchiladas   :(

160°F for 8 hours?  Gee, IDK about that.  When I make chicken burritos from breasts, I SV them (seasoned) at 140°F for an hour and a half.  They shred just fine.

I don't see why a drumstick won't be shreddable after two hours.
  • #55 by BigDave83 on 21 May 2021
  • I may try the 8 to 12 hour thighs, just because.

I did bone in ones at 150 for 4 or 5 hours then shocked and finished  on the grill. They were very good.  I don't remember if they were shredable , it has been a while.

I know I will do boneless skinless breasts and have also done thighs at 140 to 142 for 4 to 6 hours and they come out moist and easily shredable, provided you do a little preprep before putting in the bag. on the breast I usually just make sure there is no cartilage left along the keel bone side. I think it is keel bone, breast bone, I don't know.I just know a little sliver off that edge makes for easier work later on.

I don't think I have ever done legs/drumsticks S but have done wings several times, I have come to like 162 for 60 to 90 minutes. These are split wings, then ice or cold water shock for a few and finished on the grill and even did them on the blackstone to finish. I have tried 158 to 160 for loner time and 165 for shorted but found my liking at 162. I have not tried deep frying them afterwards. I don't deep fry much. Thinking of getting one of those little Gas One camp stoves, I see they have  12K BTU one and a 4 to 6 qt SS pot and just set it up in the garage to give it a go.
  • #56 by Bentley on 21 May 2021
  • I am doing 2, 4 & 6 hours at 147°.  2 is done and in fridge, 4 is 40 minutes away and then the 6.  Will dredge and deep fry and report after dinner.  My concerns are will going from sous vide to fridge for the 2 & 4 hour make any difference in texture when they are deep fried?  Guess we will find out in about 4 hours!

160°F for 8 hours?  Gee, IDK about that.  When I make chicken burritos from breasts, I SV them (seasoned) at 140°F for an hour and a half.  They shred just fine.

I don't see why a drumstick won't be shreddable after two hours.
  • #57 by dk117 on 21 May 2021
  • I've stayed out of every other sous vide thread, but wading in here.   Shredded chicken?  That is a crock pot classic.  Never been a problem shredding or dry.  chicken breast works best IMO.  If sous vide takes just as long, what's the benefit?

DK
  • #58 by Bentley on 21 May 2021
  • I am not looking for shredded chicken, I am looking for a shredded chicken texture on the drumstick so I know it is tender before I Deep Fry the drumsticks.  The link is to someone who is sous viding for shredded chicken I guess, it has nothing to do with my posts or request for data!
  • #59 by pmillen on 21 May 2021
  • If sous vide takes just as long, what's the benefit?

Vis-à-vis shredded chicken breasts, I don't see a benefit over crock pot.
  • #60 by hughver on 21 May 2021
  • Vis-à-vis shredded chicken breasts, I don't see a benefit over crock pot.

It's all about temperature control.
Pages:
Actions