Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 4149 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »

It's all about temperature control.

Do you think that crock pot temperature control doesn't match a SV unit?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2021, 04:55:00 PM »

I think the temp control on a crock pot is closer to that of an oven but have nothing to prove that.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2021, 05:48:41 PM »

My Hamilton Beach is very stable.  Only problem is I only have 3 settings.  When I was trying to see if I could use it for sous vide it stayed at 140° on warm and 180° on low. I mean like spot Anova on!.  Never tried high cuz I knew I was never gonna sous vide anything at 180° so why did it matter
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:05:18 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2021, 06:33:34 PM »

I have three crock pots (one manual and two electronic), on low, they all seem to boil (simmer) the liquid. I've never measured the temperature nor stability of any of them. I sometimes use the manual one (the high-low-warm version) for sous vide. I set it to high and use a home made temperature control contraption to turn the power on and off to maintain a constant temperature, it works pretty good. The electronic ones reset to warm every time you remove power and therefore don't work for sous vide.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2021, 08:02:23 PM »

(I realize that Bentley really wasn't planning to shred his drumsticks, he was just looking for that consistency, but the thread "turned" a bit when I reasoned that seasoned breasts shred just fine when SVd at 140°F for an hour and a half causing me to wonder why 160°F for 8 hours would be necessary for the desired drumstick texture.)

Here’s what I was thinking when I wrote, "Vis-à-vis shredded chicken breasts, I don't see a benefit over a crock pot."

If the desired result is a chicken breast that shreds, what matter the device or the temperature accuracy, as long as the finished product is properly seasoned, cooked and shreds?

As I think about it, I've decided to use our slow cooker the next time I need to prepare breasts for shredding.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2021, 08:05:15 PM »

I have three crock pots (one manual and two electronic), on low, they all seem to boil (simmer) the liquid. I've never measured the temperature nor stability of any of them. I sometimes use the manual one (the high-low-warm version) for sous vide. I set it to high and use a home made temperature control contraption to turn the power on and off to maintain a constant temperature, it works pretty good. The electronic ones reset to warm every time you remove power and therefore don't work for sous vide.

That is how I started out many years ago, a $15 controller from Ebay and my old slowcooker. Used it for a a year or so before I decied to buy the sous vide supreme.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2023, 03:34:35 PM »

Along with the Dry Aged Rib Roast, I am cooking Salmon in Texas.  Trying a 2 hour, 6% salt n sugar brine.  It is now in the Anova @ 135° for 2.5 hours.  Since Kristin thinks 135-140° is just about right for Salmon, I will grill on Memphis Pro for 2 minutes for grill marks and call it quits.  I am only grilling one side as I am fearful that after Sous Vide the filets are going to be hard to turn.  This is all for experience as I have no idea if the numbers are right!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 03:36:14 PM by Bentley »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2023, 03:55:28 PM »

I see that Anova now has their 3rd version of their sous vide machines out now.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »

Along with the Dry Aged Rib Roast, I am cooking Salmon in Texas.  Trying a 2 hour, 6% salt n sugar brine.  It is now in the Anova @ 135° for 2.5 hours.  Since Kristin thinks 135-140° is just about right for Salmon, I will grill on Memphis Pro for 2 minutes for grill marks and call it quits.  I am only grilling one side as I am fearful that after Sous Vide the filets are going to be hard to turn.  This is all for experience as I have no idea if the numbers are right!

As I've mentioned before, for my taste 130° is the sweet spot for salmon. Some professional chefs swear by 125° as the perfect temperature. To each his own. I use a two-piece hinged basket to flip salmon.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2023, 10:00:53 PM »

Just to hard to grill after sous vide, and since I am gonna have about 5-6lbs. to grill, will just start raw! Kristin is not a big fan of texture after sous vide, so another reason to just straight up grill!

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2023, 10:07:01 PM »

Just to hard to grill after sous vide, and since I am gonna have about 5-6lbs. to grill, will just start raw! Kristin is not a big fan of texture after sous vide, so another reason to just straight up grill!

I have never tried to SV salmon, I am like you, for all the longer it takes i just grill or pan fry usually. 

urnmor

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2023, 09:01:31 AM »

As I have so much salmon from our Alaskan fishing trip I just might have to try SVing some.  If so I will let you all know how it comes out.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2023, 11:42:11 AM »

I think 130° is the number too!  It is not real pretty when it comes out of the sous vide, but to me, it is cooked perfectly.  I just cant seem to figure out how to finish that much salmon on the grill without it being a giant mess!  So will hope cooking raw is the answer!

hughver

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2023, 01:13:34 PM »

I've never sous vide salmon except for some frozen prepackaged seasoned filets from Costco. If I'm doing salmon with the skin on, I just gill them to 130° IT with skin down, baste with a homemade sauce and never flip. Grill set to around 200°. Lower for more smoke and higher for quicker finish.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up