Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grilled Salmon  (Read 2499 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Grilled Salmon
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »

3lb. Whole Salmon Filet (This was Costco Farm raised Atlantic) cut in half (just easier to handle).
Brine. Per 1 gallon of water add 1 cup salt and 1 cup sugar.  This particular size filet could be covered by 1/2 gallon of water, so brine was halved.  4 hours in brine.
Dry filet on cloth towel for 1 hour, turning over at 30 minute mark.  No other seasoning used.

Brine fish & dry.  Allow pit to come to 600° (obviously if yours is 450 or 500° just adjust cooking time, this is why I use a temp guage). 5 minutes on grill or mat and flip, should be about 100°f IT.  5 more minutes and we are at 130°f IT and it is pulled.  Finished Internal Temperature should be about 135-137°f . 

I not only claim to be a GrillMaster, I am.  But After I flip that meat, I stick that temperature probe in the thickest part of that meat and I put it when it hits 130°f internal temperature...Why would I want to guess.

Table Sauce for those that like that...1 cup mayo, mixed with 1/2 cup fresh chopped dill and 1 Tbs. lemon juice!  I would use Lime, but I am not eating the Vile fish!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:15:42 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Rick

• Using less gas.
Re: Grilled Salmon
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »

Interesting.  I cook a a lot of salmon.  Same Costco Farm raised cut that you mentioned.  I've never even thought about brineing.  I might have to give that a try.

My family is always on a bit of a health kick.  Every week, usually on Sunday, I cook one of those salmon fillets, along with a couple of split chicken breasts.  It goes into the refrigerator for lunches.  I keep my salmon cook pretty simple.

I cook at about 400 degrees, on Grill Grates.  I separate the thin belly meat from the thicker part of the salmon to make cooking easier.  Then I cut the salmon into meal size portions.  I give it a coating of EVOO or Butter.  We like EVOO better because it gives it a lighter flavor.  Then a light sprinkle of Plowboys Fin and Feather.  I too, probe with a thermapen (at least the thick pieces).  I remove them at about 115-120 degrees, which is usually when the white albumin just starts to accumulate. It carries over to 120-125 degrees.

Most of my family won't eat it if it's Medium or hotter.   So we are a Med-Rare Salmon family.  Plus my wife takes it in her lunches during the work week so it gives a little room for her to pop it in the microwave and take the chill off of it.

Bentley, you probably don't see the albumin as much since you brine (my guess). I use it as a cooking guide.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »

I too, being from the NW, cook a lot of salmon and have recently started removing from heat at 123-125*. IMHO, it's moister, tastier and more tender. I tried this method after reading that multiple professional cooks recommended it. I even tried sous vide at 123* with a Tbs. of olive oil and it was to die for.  :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »

This was brined for 4 hours.  Flavor, moisture retention and fat not permeating the fish are the benefits I was told.  But look what low n slow did to that beautiful filet...Never again, cold smoke, or grilled, only 2 ways I am ever serving salmon again!

All that flavor goodness forced out of that fish!  I don't even like the stuff and knew I was going to be told it was bad!

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »

I also brine my salmon using the same brine mixture as you but for grilling or sous vide, I only soak for 45 minutes. If cold smoking, my brine time depends on the size of the fish.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »

Bentley...

Why do you cook fish when you hate it so much?
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 03:39:24 PM »

Because I, and the rest of the family, love it and he has learned to do it very well!  When we have fish, he has steak.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »

Because I, and the rest of the family, love it and he has learned to do it very well!  When we have fish, he has steak.

ZING!
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 03:48:54 PM »

Youngest child...Servitude...all the same thing!

Bentley...

Why do you cook fish when you hate it so much?
Pages: [1]   Go Up