Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wings for My Son's Grad Party  (Read 669 times)

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Wings for My Son's Grad Party
« on: March 12, 2020, 09:34:20 AM »

Graduation season will be upon us soon enough. Our nest will be empty after this one!  :cool:  Going to go all out for this one.  The plan is for me to cook three packer briskets and 40 lbs of wings. I have a DB and gasser. Also going to have a Buffalo Sauce fountain.

Was debating on smoking the wings for a couple of hours and then putting in the fridge overnight and then flash fry them in my turkey fryer.  Which allows me to keep the smoker for the briskets. Has anyone done wings like this before. Thankfully I have a couple of months yet. 

Was pricing a local BBQ place and they wanted $300 for 40 lbs of wings!

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Wings for My Son's Grad Party
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »

I would not see an issue doing the wings the way you state as long as you get them in the 165 to 170 range once cooked and then cooled of well before putting in the fridge. Nice thing I have seen with wings is they seem to be good even at internal temps of 185 or so.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 01:00:51 PM »

I would probably do it the opposite way and cook the briskets in advance and figure out how to reheat them and make the wings fresh.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »

I have smoked and then fried.  And if you are like me, you won't taste any smoke in the wing after frying.  So, I would suggest a mock run and see if you pick up the smoke flavor after frying!  Costco has the 10lb bags of  separated wings for about $23/bag if that helps!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »

I have smoked and then fried.  And if you are like me, you won't taste any smoke in the wing after frying.  So, I would suggest a mock run and see if you pick up the smoke flavor after frying!  Costco has the 10lb bags of  separated wings for about $23/bag if that helps!

Restaurant Depot probably has a 40# box of fresh wings for about $80.  A few weeks ago they had 40# box of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $24.  You could have made a ton of boneless breaded chicken wings for that price.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »

40lbs is a bunch of wings! If I was going to deep fry them, then I would not smoke first. I would probably cook some on the smoker and some in the fryer to use all of your capacity. Wings take about 35 minutes to cook on my pellet grill at 450F, but you can't fit too many in there at once. Frying takes about 8 minutes - not sure how many lbs you can get into the turkey cooker.

Once the briskets are done, towel wrap and cooler, and then start on the first batch of wings. You'll probably need to cool the grill down and clean it so you don't have a grease fire at the higher wing temps.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »

40lbs is a bunch of wings! If I was going to deep fry them, then I would not smoke first. I would probably cook some on the smoker and some in the fryer to use all of your capacity. Wings take about 35 minutes to cook on my pellet grill at 450F, but you can't fit too many in there at once. Frying takes about 8 minutes - not sure how many lbs you can get into the turkey cooker.

Once the briskets are done, towel wrap and cooler, and then start on the first batch of wings. You'll probably need to cool the grill down and clean it so you don't have a grease fire at the higher wing temps.

I did 80 lbs last year for a grad party. :o :o

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »

I've had the same Tyson wings from Sam's and have had as little as 60-65 pieces in 10# and as high as 100-105 pieces.  I think 40# comes down to how many people you have and the size of the wings.  I know I can go through a 10# bag pretty quickly with a few guys here.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 08:40:00 PM »

Restaurant Depot probably has a 40# box of fresh wings for about $80.  A few weeks ago they had 40# box of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $24.  You could have made a ton of boneless breaded chicken wings for that price.

That is about what I paid last time I did wings from Chef's Store.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 08:44:35 PM »

As you know there are a ton of different ways to do wings (and about everything else). This is my method.

1. 25 party wings
2. 1/2 Cup Hot Sauce (I use Texas Pete - NC favorite)
3. 16 oz Zesty Italian dressing
4. 1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
5. 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce

1. Mix ingredients and marinate for at least 3 hours. I try to marinate overnight.
2. Drain wings and pat dry
3. Apply your favorite rub to both sides of wings
4. Smoke at 275 degrees until wings reach 165 degrees.
5. Wings take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Could take up to 2 hours if you use large wings.

They are super easy to do and everyone loves them.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036
Pages: [1]   Go Up