Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 13 Mar 2020

• I've been using this Chicago Cutlery knife as a carving knife for about 40 years.  It does the job but sometimes, when we were trying to be a little bit fancy for a dinner party, I've wished for a carver that didn't look so plebeian.

My favorite BBQ shop carries the Hammer Stahl line.  They use one in the shop when they're demonstrating, so I bought one after testing it a bit there.

This is it.

Here's how it compares to the old Chicago Cutlery knife.

The review–

Name of Product
    Hammer Stahl calls it their 14" Slicer.

Purpose of the product
    This is a slicing knife only.  Like most golf clubs, this device was designed for a single purpose—straight slicing.  It's a poor choice for any other knife work.  You'll want to use a knife with a rounded and sharp tip (i.e., the above pictured Chicago Cutlery knife or a scimitar blade) for intricate carving such as separating a turkey breast from the ribs.

Pros and cons of product
    Pros:

This is a forged knife (heated steel pounded into shape), as opposed to stamped (die cut from a steel sheet).  Forged knives can be made with a bolster, the wide part where the blade merges with the handle.  Bolsters are easier to clean and provide a safe location for placing an index finger ahead of the handle and the thumb on the blade's other side (the pinch grip that chef schools teach).

Forged knives are generally thought of as a better quality than stamped.  (This is somewhat because of higher retail pricing.  They're more expensive because their manufacturing costs are higher due to the required equipment and labor.)

The German steel alloy is quite stain resistant.

The company provides lifetime free sharpening (regrinding) if you pay the small shipping charge to return it to you.

Cons:
    See the comments on the steel alloy in the section on Impressions below.

The factory claims to grind a 20° bevel, typical of most U.S. kitchen knives.  It's appropriate for a kitchen knife in this steel alloy but a slicing knife is likely to benefit from a 17° bevel as it isn't subjected to rough treatment.

Chef's pinch grip.

Impressions and other thoughts on the product
    For those of you who are interested in knife steel composition, this slicer is made of German X50CrMoV15 stainless steel and hardened to 55-57 Rockwell.  It's the steel used by Wusthof, Victorinox and others in their high-end knives.  The steel naming convention has never made sense to me, so here's the steel composition–
           X50 is carbon.  The 50 indicates 0.5% to improve hardness, tensile strength, edge retention and resistance to wear and abrasion.
           Cr is chromium at 15% to improve rust resistance, hardness and tensile strength.
           Mo is molybdenum added at about 0.75% for the ability to resist rust and brittleness and to be machined and sharpened.
           V is vanadium at about 0.25% to add hardness and wear resistance.
    They're not in the name but there's also–
           Manganese at 1% for hardness, strength and wear resistance.
           Silicon at 1% to help eliminate unwanted gasses during manufacturing.
           Phosphorous in a trace amount.
           Sulfur in a negligible amount.

There are knife steels that will hold their edges better, but they are also more difficult to regrind.  The minor lack of edge-holding isn't important in a slicing knife as it is likely to always be used on a cutting board and not encounter bones (it's a slicer).

As noted, the steel is German, but after the blade, bolster and continuous tang are forged, installing the handle and final finishing are done in China.

At 14-inches, this is a long knife.  As a result, it's not particularly well balanced.  But it's also not particularly important in a slicing knife that's only drawn straight across the material to be sliced.  That's when knives cut—when they're drawn across the material to be sliced, not when they're pressed down—and fourteen inches allows for a long effortless slicing stroke that produces thin, even, smooth-sided slices.

The handle is mostly polished metal tang with a bit of some sort of chemically treated wood as accents.  I think it's very attractive and looks more expensive than it is.  The included instructions specify hand washing and avoiding citrus cleansers.

Would you recommend this product?
    Yes.  I think it's a good dollar value.  It's extremely sharp and only requires a few strokes on a glass smooth butcher's steel to true-up the edge.  I doubt that I'll ever sharpen it (regrind the bevel) but if I do, I'll probably experiment with a sharper bevel angle, even though it may sacrifice some edge durability.

I am so enamored with this knife that I recently purchased the 7-inch fillet knife to use when trimming fat and silverskin from items that I'm preparing.

Pictures

MSRP of product on date of review
    $129.00 on the Hammer Stahl web site.

EDIT:  Corrected high bit characters, such as °, that were garbled by an update to the forum software.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Mar 2020
  • That certainly looks really nice.

I spend a lot of money on a lot of different things that others probably would look at me and question my sanity.  Two things I don't spend money on are knives and coolers.  I just don't use them enough to get the Cadillac version.  This knife may change my mind.

I wanted to buy a new turntable for my vinyl record collection playing the other week.  I explained to my wife that the one I bought about 15 years ago was like a Chevy.  It got the job done for me to be able to listen to records that were not available at the time in another format.  When we moved 5 years ago, I bought a Cadillac that not only got the job done, but the soundstage through the speakers had me hearing things in the music I never heard before.  I then told her that I wanted to buy the Mercedes of turntables so that I didn't have to buy another the rest of my life after one of my two Cadillacs failed me after minimal use.  Last Friday, I sat her down in my music room chair to listen to a vinyl record on the new turntable and she was blown away.  She felt like she was in a small club with the band on stage in front of her.  The purchase has now been qualified!

Sorry for hijacking your post with my story.  My questions for you.  Is this knife the Cadillac or the Mercedes?  I think I have a Chevy now.  And, would a Wusthof be a Cadillac?
  • #3 by pmillen on 13 Mar 2020
  • I s'pose this is the Buick.

There are many knives that are much better in many different ways, but this one will do an excellent job for 75 years if you treat it properly.

My recommendation, if you want a high end knife, is to look at Chef Knives to Go or most of the knife specialty web sites.  You can generally equate price and quality if you stay away from Damascus steel.  Damascus steel is inferior to forged crucible steel—it's just outrageously priced hype.  Ask the Moors that were driven out of the Iberian peninsula.  They controlled it because their Damascus steel swords were superior.  Then, 300 years later, the Crusaders showed up with crucible steel swords and the Moors, quickly realizing that they had lost that round of the arms race, retreated back to Africa.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 13 Mar 2020
  • That is a nice knife I had looked at their line before but never bought. The bulk of my cutting is done with a 6" curved boning knife. I do have 2 slicing knives not sure of the brands. The first one I bought the blade is flexible the second is more rigid I like rigidity in a slicing knife.

is this rigid of flexible?

I have bought a few knives over time that when I got them I just didn't like them.  Hope you use and enjoy yours for many years.
  • #5 by pmillen on 13 Mar 2020
  • is this rigid of flexible?

Very rigid
  • #6 by smokin soon on 13 Mar 2020
    I’ve been using this Chicago Cutlery knife as a carving knife for about 40 years.  It does the job but sometimes, when we were trying to be a little bit fancy for a dinner party, I’ve wished for a carver that didn’t look so plebeian.

I guess I would not fit in well in those circles, as I would be quite proud of owning 40 year old Chicago! Plebeians [commoners] like myself use Dexter Russell. At a fancy Dinner Party do folks actually pay attention to Cutlery?
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Mar 2020
  • Nice looking knife.  Thanks for the excellent review.
  • #8 by cookingjnj on 14 Mar 2020
  • I still do not have a slicing knife. I use an 8" all purpose type knife that came with a cheapo knife block set for my slicing.  Thanks for posting this p, get's me thinking on something I want to get in the near future.
  • #9 by pmillen on 14 Mar 2020
  • I guess I would not fit in well in those circles, as I would be quite proud of owning 40 year old Chicago! Plebeians [commoners] like myself use Dexter Russell. At a fancy Dinner Party do folks actually pay attention to Cutlery?

:)

Great observation.  The guests probably don't notice.  It's all me.  They don't notice the mistakes in the deck construction, but the guy who built it does (me).

That's why I added the "Snob Appeal" subtitle.

EDIT:  Dexter Russell, huh.  My dad (custom butcher) used a lot of Russell knives and steels.  They were hard to distinguish, visually, from his other favorite, Chicago Cutlery.
  • #10 by Osborn Cox on 14 Mar 2020
    I’ve been using this Chicago Cutlery knife as a carving knife for about 40 years.  It does the job but sometimes, when we were trying to be a little bit fancy for a dinner party, I’ve wished for a carver that didn’t look so plebeian.

I guess I would not fit in well in those circles, as I would be quite proud of owning 40 year old Chicago! Plebeians [commoners] like myself use Dexter Russell. At a fancy Dinner Party do folks actually pay attention to Cutlery?

My Dexter Russell knives are my favorites and hold an edge better than any others that I own.    They aren’t fancy but they are great bang for the buck.   
  • #11 by triplebq on 14 Mar 2020

• I wanted to buy a new turntable for my vinyl record collection playing the other week.  I explained to my wife that the one I bought about 15 years ago was like a Chevy.  It got the job done for me to be able to listen to records that were not available at the time in another format.  When we moved 5 years ago, I bought a Cadillac that not only got the job done, but the soundstage through the speakers had me hearing things in the music I never heard before.  I then told her that I wanted to buy the Mercedes of turntables so that I didn't have to buy another the rest of my life after one of my two Cadillacs failed me after minimal use.  Last Friday, I sat her down in my music room chair to listen to a vinyl record on the new turntable and she was blown away.  She felt like she was in a small club with the band on stage in front of her.  The purchase has now been qualified!

I'm also a vinyl guy. What turntable did you get?
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Mar 2020

• I wanted to buy a new turntable for my vinyl record collection playing the other week.  I explained to my wife that the one I bought about 15 years ago was like a Chevy.  It got the job done for me to be able to listen to records that were not available at the time in another format.  When we moved 5 years ago, I bought a Cadillac that not only got the job done, but the soundstage through the speakers had me hearing things in the music I never heard before.  I then told her that I wanted to buy the Mercedes of turntables so that I didn't have to buy another the rest of my life after one of my two Cadillacs failed me after minimal use.  Last Friday, I sat her down in my music room chair to listen to a vinyl record on the new turntable and she was blown away.  She felt like she was in a small club with the band on stage in front of her.  The purchase has now been qualified!

I'm also a vinyl guy. What turntable did you get?

Technics SL-1500C
  • #13 by KeithG on 15 Mar 2020
  • When I got my turntable I went old school with a classic from the 70’s. I found a lightly used Thorens TD-145 and shipped it to Vinyl Nirvana and had it refurbished. Not sorry. My records from the 50’s and 60’s sound better than they did back then.
Pages:
Actions