Member Reviews > Reviews of Accessories, Gadgets and Tools

Hammer Stahl 14-Inch Slicing Knife (For Snob Appeal)

<< < (2/3) > >>

smokin soon:

--- Quote ---I’ve been using this Chicago Cutlery knife as a carving knife for about 40 years.  It does the job but sometimes, when we were trying to be a little bit fancy for a dinner party, I’ve wished for a carver that didn’t look so plebeian.
--- End quote ---

I guess I would not fit in well in those circles, as I would be quite proud of owning 40 year old Chicago! Plebeians [commoners] like myself use Dexter Russell. At a fancy Dinner Party do folks actually pay attention to Cutlery?

Kristin Meredith:
Nice looking knife.  Thanks for the excellent review.

cookingjnj:
I still do not have a slicing knife. I use an 8" all purpose type knife that came with a cheapo knife block set for my slicing.  Thanks for posting this p, get's me thinking on something I want to get in the near future.

pmillen:

--- Quote from: smokin soon on March 13, 2020, 11:10:19 PM ---I guess I would not fit in well in those circles, as I would be quite proud of owning 40 year old Chicago! Plebeians [commoners] like myself use Dexter Russell. At a fancy Dinner Party do folks actually pay attention to Cutlery?

--- End quote ---

:)

Great observation.  The guests probably don't notice.  It's all me.  They don't notice the mistakes in the deck construction, but the guy who built it does (me).

That's why I added the "Snob Appeal" subtitle.

EDIT:  Dexter Russell, huh.  My dad (custom butcher) used a lot of Russell knives and steels.  They were hard to distinguish, visually, from his other favorite, Chicago Cutlery.

Osborn Cox:

--- Quote from: smokin soon on March 13, 2020, 11:10:19 PM ---
--- Quote ---I’ve been using this Chicago Cutlery knife as a carving knife for about 40 years.  It does the job but sometimes, when we were trying to be a little bit fancy for a dinner party, I’ve wished for a carver that didn’t look so plebeian.
--- End quote ---

I guess I would not fit in well in those circles, as I would be quite proud of owning 40 year old Chicago! Plebeians [commoners] like myself use Dexter Russell. At a fancy Dinner Party do folks actually pay attention to Cutlery?

--- End quote ---

My Dexter Russell knives are my favorites and hold an edge better than any others that I own.    They aren’t fancy but they are great bang for the buck.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View