Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by KeithG on 18 Mar 2020
  • My wife was in our local Wegmans grocery store over the weekend. The meat department was completely empty, nothing. There was an elderly gentleman standing there, looking around and in tears. He said to my wife “I never thought I would see this in my lifetime again.”

So sad.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Mar 2020
  • That is sad.

I usually stock up on foods and supplies when they are on sales so I usually have a sufficient supply of almost anything I need.  I can see how those on fixed incomes have issues.  It is really time to help each other out during these times.
  • #3 by triplebq on 18 Mar 2020
  • Same thing in NC. Went to local grocery store and it was nearly the same. I saw an older couple buying stuff like it was the last time they were planning on leaving the house.

One of the guys I work with went by Academy Sports to get some gear for his kids to play in the yard with. He said all of the gun shells were completely sold out. Nothing like having firepower to protect your stash of toilet paper.
  • #4 by triplebq on 18 Mar 2020
  • It is really time to help each other out during these times.

So true
  • #5 by hughver on 18 Mar 2020
  • I was fairly young at the time but it reminds me of the rationing of critical goods during WWII.
  • #6 by jdmessner on 18 Mar 2020
  • There was an elderly gentleman standing there, looking around and in tears. He said to my wife “I never thought I would see this in my lifetime again.”

So sad.

That is quite sobering. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the hoarding mentality. It is sad.
  • #7 by hughver on 18 Mar 2020
  • It appears that the supply chain remains uninterrupted and stores seem to be restocking a lot of items. I was out of eggs yesterday and when I went to the egg display, a lady was unloading a large pallet of fresh eggs. The coolers were completely out of fresh meat but had lots of seafood. 
  • #8 by Clonesmoker on 18 Mar 2020
  • I was at a Sam's Club this morning and all they had left was brisket flats.  It told my wife I wanted to make brisket chili as we are expecting rain and snow the this weekend. I guess it was a sign for me to buy one. They were choice at $4.78 /lb.
  • #9 by urnmor on 18 Mar 2020
  • Our butcher was also out of most cuts of beef and Pork.  He said his supply truck did not come and when he called he was told the warehouse was out of stock..  Now i must admit I find it funny that the ware house is out of stock especially since most of the restaurant are all closed.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Mar 2020
  • Restaurant Depot racks are empty out here.  My brother was telling me stories of people coming in with photo copies of other peoples cards and just a sheet of paper with other peoples membership number on it and they were selling to these people.  Probably couldn't find meat at the grocery stores so they figured out a way to get into RD without a card.
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 19 Mar 2020
  • Our meat market had plenty of meat yesterday, but I'm sure it is subject to change.  I've heard H-E-B can't keep the shelves stocked with meat and canned goods.  I need to go later today so I'll see.  My wife won't let me stock up for situations like this since both places are close and easy to get to.  Maybe now I can talk her into letting me get a small freezer to keep meat in.
  • #12 by heffneil on 19 Mar 2020
  • I have a Restaurant Depot membership via KCBBS.  I thought I would not have a problem since restaurants are taking a bath and its members only.  apparently that is happening here in SWFL too.  I called the other day and they said it was pretty busy....

Neil
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Mar 2020
  • I went to the local supermarket at 7am this morning.  Good thing I have plenty of meat in my freezers because they didn't have much, and what they did have will probably be gone by 9am.  There other shelves were in decent shape but certainly not full.  They were still stocking shelves.
  • #14 by heffneil on 19 Mar 2020
  • Crazy Times!
  • #15 by Mikro on 19 Mar 2020
  • xxxx I'm giving stuff away, our freezer just xxxxxxx out. 1/4 of a cow thawing out, plus other stuff. Our doctors suggested we don't get out or have visitors. With my new hip replacement and back surgery some months back I can't even get to the dang plug to unplug it without moving all kinds of stuff. Welcome to my World. LMAO!!!
    mk
Pages:
Actions