Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 19 Mar 2020
  • Worth watching.  Some easy to do, some not so easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BNNjZpMKRI
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Mar 2020
  • Don't want to rain on the parade of your post, but I have not eaten any kind of eggs not mixed into a pie or cake in probably 45 years.  I just don't like the taste and texture and have not interest in giving it another try.  I am sure I am the few percent who feel that way.
  • #3 by okie smokie on 19 Mar 2020
  • Don't want to rain on the parade of your post, but I have not eaten any kind of eggs not mixed into a pie or cake in probably 45 years.  I just don't like the taste and texture and have not interest in giving it another try.  I am sure I am the few percent who feel that way.
    I suspect you are indeed among the few.  Eggs may be the most efficient of all foods: They are 100% digestible. Almost no residue, and mostly protein and fat. (the kind you were designed to metabolize). I do not approve of them raw, but love them in almost all cooked forms.  Sorry you don't like them.    :(
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Mar 2020
  • What would life be without eggs? :pig:  I love them and eat them all different kinds of ways, although a good eggs benedict is hard to beat!
  • #5 by glitchy on 20 Mar 2020
  • The video was very cool, but I'm more of a scrambled and hard boiled guy. I don't think I've ever done a sunny side up egg and I fry one over easy once in a blue moon to remind myself how much I prefer scrambled. However, I'd chow down an egg McMuffin anytime, so I guess over well broken is OK too ;) Rest of family is more like Lew, won't hardly touch an egg, finally got them eating scrambled, but that's all any of them will touch at all.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 20 Mar 2020
  •  
     Worth watching for sure..Most informative!
  • #7 by GREG-B on 20 Mar 2020
  • I eat my fair share of the worlds eggs.  I like most any kind but usually wind up frying them over medium.  SWMBO eats them occasionally but she usually fries them until there is no possible movement in the yolk or white, then fries them a couple more minutes to make sure. :rotf:
  • #8 by okie smokie on 20 Mar 2020
  • What would life be without eggs? :pig:  I love them and eat them all different kinds of ways, although a good eggs benedict is hard to beat!
    You hit it on the head but good hollandaise is hard to fine.  I can only remember one restaurant that got it right locally.  On the other hand, I think I like substituting sausage gravy better. Yum.  :P
  • #9 by Bentley on 20 Mar 2020
  • Over easy, moist scramble, breakfast burrito, Eggs Benedict, Soft Boiled, Egg Salad, Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Pancake Sausage n Egg Taco, Cesar Salad, Pork Fried Rice, Frittata, Scotch Eggs, Custard, Crepe's, Eggnog...I can't imagine any other single food I have eaten more of in my lifetime.
  • #10 by okie smokie on 20 Mar 2020
  • I like them any way, but draw the line at Scotch Egg.  I had Chicken Ramen at a local restaurant recently and it was wonderful, with rich broth, sliced and seared chicken breast, and semi hard boiled egg, (cut in half and simmered in the broth.).  I even like to eat hard boiled egg, peeled and dipped in salt as I eat it.
    I read a  nice article many years ago about a 94 year old man who was seen by a doctor for some illness.  He related that many years before he had some sort of intestinal problem and his doctor told him to just eat only eggs. So he subsisted on about 14 eggs a day and never stopped.  His HDL (good stuff) was somewhere around 100+ mg/% and his total Cholesterol was 144.  LDL was in normal? range as I recall, and he had no evidence of vascular, or heart disease. I guess you would call that a paleo diet (no carbs). 
  • #11 by elenis on 23 Mar 2020
  • I eat a lot of eggs as well. We have 6 laying ducks and seem to consistently get between 4 to 6 eggs a day out of them. My wife and kids love the ducks, but are not huge egg fans. Hard boiled, scrambled, fried, poached, I eat them many ways. I like to buy the low carb (I'm diabetic) burrito shells and make breakfast burritos in the mornings when I can. I use a metal biscuit cutter and cook eggs on Sunday, usually to get me through the week. Lets me make my own McMuffins pretty easily. Anyone ever use smoked bologna or fried bologna in their breakfast sandwiches? Its delicious.
  • #12 by Bentley on 23 Mar 2020
  • Never thought of trying fried bologna on a breakfast sandwich.  I believe I would need about a 3/4 inch slice to make it work for me!
  • #13 by bregent on 23 Mar 2020
  • >I do not approve of them raw, but love them in almost all cooked forms.

Assuming you are worried about Salmonella, Sous Vide to the rescue.

Just place directly into 135F Sous Vide water bath for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Then, remove and drop into ice water bath for 30 minutes. If you are worried about them cracking from rolling around in there you can place in a plastic bag.

Now you can use for mayo, meringue, Hollandaise, without worry.
  • #14 by okie smokie on 23 Mar 2020
  • I used to think the salmonella was only on the surface of poorly washed eggs, but just read that it can be on the inside, as the chicken may have infection in its ovaries.  Yuk! Fortunately it is statistically uncommon. Considering how many eggs I have eaten (usually 2 daily) which are basted or fried with cooked white and soft centers I guess I am lucky. See below:
    https://www.livescience.com/62318-how-salmonella-gets-in-eggs.html
  • #15 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Mar 2020
  • I don't know why this story has stuck with me over the years, but it has.  When our POWs were returned from Vietnam, they went through the base in Germany (is it something like Langsdahl?).  Once they had been processed, they were told the dining room was open and they were offered anything they wanted.  I guess the cooks were very anxious to give them the best.  One officer, who I believe had been held over many years had only one request -- fried eggs.  They ended up cooking and serving him 16 fried eggs in one sitting.  He said he had been dreaming about fried eggs for years in the camps and now could get his fill.
Pages:
Actions