Here's How I.... > Cook Everything Else (Pizza, Appetizers, Desserts, etc)

Making corn tortillas. Great to use with smoked pulled pork and beef

<< < (3/3)

Hank D Thoreau:
Big Dave,

Masa Harina is made of finely ground corn. There is nothing else added to it. Maybe the corn is pre treated. I'll have to check on that. You can grind your own but it needs to be very fine if it is to work well.

I am not sure that you can convert corn meal into Masa Harina. You can find Masa Harina in stores where I live. I am not sure it is available everywhere across the country.

I order it from a place called Masienda in Los Angeles. There is a lot of useful information about Masa on their website. They provide a lot of heirloom corn varieties for grinding, as well as a few that are pre ground.

I think the answer to your question can be found on their website. I have watched a few of their videos.

Bentley:
This is a good tutorial thread. Not sure how I missed it.  May I move it to the "Here's how I"...Section?

You could run the meal through a coffee/spice grinder to get to the flour stage, but I though the corn was soaked in lime before it was ground too!

Hank D Thoreau:

--- Quote from: Bentley on September 14, 2021, 04:56:00 PM ---This is a good tutorial thread. Not sure how I missed it.  May I move it to the "Here's how I"...Section?

You could run the meal through a coffee/spice grinder to get to the flour stage, but I though the corn was soaked in lime before it was ground too!

--- End quote ---

That's fine with me. Thanks, Bently.

Hank D Thoreau:
Let me add to the tutorial that you want a very hot griddle. I changed from using my outdoor Razor griddle to a cast iron pan on my stove so that I could get up to 500 def F.

With a hot griddle you can flip after about 30 seconds. You want to tap the center of the tortilla while it is cooking to get it to balloon. It is the ballooning process that helps cook the inside.

If you do it right, you get a nice puffy tortilla. It doesn't always go right.

BigDave83:
From reading Corn meal is just that ground up dry corn. Masa Harina is Hominy ground up. Hominy is dried field corn that is soaked in lye it removes the outer shell of the corn and the corn kind of expands. I remember woman making it when I was young, but by the time I got old enough to want to learn she didn't do it anymore, usually bought canned hominy in the store, or if she saw it at one of the little Amish stores it was usually dried.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View