Here's How I.... > Cook Everything Else (Pizza, Appetizers, Desserts, etc)

Making corn tortillas. Great to use with smoked pulled pork and beef

<< < (2/3) > >>

Brushpopper:
The wooden tortilla presses are the best!  I've never used one, but have seen them in use and they are much better than the metal ones.  I love homemade corn tortillas, especially since I can't eat flour ones.  I'd have starved to death as a child without them.

BigDave83:
After seeing the Taquito thread I got excited when my cousin called asking if I could use some corn meal. They bought some fresh ground at the antique farm show. She ordered one bag and he gave her 4. She says maybe 3 pound bags.

I went looking for Tortilla recipes, well you already know what happened then. Masa is not the same as cornmeal. Upon more investigation it is the lye soak that give it the flavor over corn meal.

So my question here to the expert tortilla maker, if I were to add baling soda to the hot water to raise the PH would that be similar in the end result or would it be a waste of time? I am not sure how fine the cornmeal is ground, is another thing. She is dropping it off tomorrow.

If it won't work or be a waste  of time, I will have to figure out what a person makes with cornmeal other than cornbread and to dip zucchini or oysters in to fry.

02ebz06:

--- Quote from: Brushpopper on March 20, 2020, 10:35:16 AM ---The wooden tortilla presses are the best!

--- End quote ---

I made one once.  Let's just say is wasn't one of my better project, and it no longer exists.

Brushpopper:
You could try to make arepas.  They are Colombian and I have only heard of them.  The most popular masa in Colombia is Harina P.A.N.  I want to get some when I am in San Antonio at some point.  They are like a thicker version of a corn tortilla that they put different fillings in after cooking on a griddle and splitting them.  I don't know what type of bread to compare them with since I don't eat bread. 

Brushpopper:

--- Quote from: 02ebz06 on September 14, 2021, 04:38:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: Brushpopper on March 20, 2020, 10:35:16 AM ---The wooden tortilla presses are the best!

--- End quote ---

I made one once.  Let's just say is wasn't one of my better project, and it no longer exists.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like I was there to help.  :(  I ain't good with making things out of wood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View