Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Fire708 on 17 Sep 2017
  • I'm considering a new grill and Blaz'n has definitely made the short list.

For you guys that have one, how well does the powder coat hold up? My current grill is two years and the powder has come off in spot and is rusting. I do keep my grill covered and in winter it is out of the weather.
  • #2 by triplebq on 17 Sep 2017
  • I have owned my Grid Iron for a year and haven't notice any rust or pealing. I also keep mine outside under a cover.
  • #3 by MP09 on 18 Sep 2017
  • Mines still in perfect shape and since BGW does there own powder coating I believe they take pride in a quality product. Built like a tank...
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Sep 2017
  • Blaz'n has indicated that they would like to send a pit for performance testing, so we will be getting one in the coming months.  I can't attest to the powder coat durability, but I have seen those pits in person and they are solid and beautiful.
  • #5 by Bentley on 18 Sep 2017
  • I performance Tested one in 2012.  It not only was the finest Powder Coated pit I had even seen.  It was the Finest Powder Coating I had even seen.  But that did not surprise me as one of, if not the main industry of Blaz'n parent company is Powder Coating!
  • #6 by Fire708 on 20 Sep 2017
  • Thank you guys for the info.
    You've helped me narrow it down to two!
  • #7 by MSOLSON on 21 Sep 2017
  • Had a grease fire in my Grand Slam. Powder coat survived just fine but the surrounding paint did bubble. I just repainted the grill looks just fine. Wife and I love bacon from the grill for snacks and stupid me didn't clean up the grease from a previous bacon cook when I did another batch of bacon, fire resulted. The Blaz'n grill is built like a tank! If you decide on one, I do recommend the Pro Shelf option, it provides a huge amount of shelf configurations that I find handy. Have fun with your new pellet grill!
  • #8 by keithj69 on 21 Sep 2017
  • After a year of back and forth, I pulled the trigger on the grid iron, lid insulator and shelves this morning. Now to wait patiently for it to ship out.  going to be a Llllloooooooooooooonnnnngggggggg 2-3 weeks.
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Sep 2017
  • They make a really nice pit and I think you will be very happy.  We look forward to seeing posts of your cooks!
  • #10 by triplebq on 21 Sep 2017
  • After a year of back and forth, I pulled the trigger on the grid iron, lid insulator and shelves this morning. Now to wait patiently for it to ship out.  going to be a Llllloooooooooooooonnnnngggggggg 2-3 weeks.

LOL congrats
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Sep 2017
  • I have a 2012 model that was bought used last year and there are lots of signs of bubbling paint and rusting on the back of the grill.  I bought it from someone who lived on the bay of the Atlantic Ocean outside of Atlantic City, NJ.  I suspect that the sea salt in the air has had a significant impact in leading to this issue.
  • #12 by okie smokie on 21 Sep 2017
  • My GS is now over 2 years old.  Exterior paint is intact although the gloss is faded in spots where the heat is more intense.  The Silver Vein finish on the lid separated in one small area on the lower lip, but has not progressed and is not visible now.  Otherwise, that finish is still very good.  I think over-all that the pit looks great. I think you will really like your GI.  :clap:
  • #13 by 82corvette on 16 Oct 2017
  • Almost 4 years with my Grid Iron and the powdercoat is holding up great. This has been a trouble free unit!
    • 82corvette
  • #14 by Richdel on 29 Nov 2017
  • My Grid Iron was bought and delivered April 2016.  Had a grease fire, bacon grease related that caused some bubbling of the paint.  Sanded and repainted and it was fine.  But, the silver vein powder coating began to peel off the lid fall of 2016.  Tim and I agreed to shelve the issue to see if it got progressively worse.  It did, along with peeling of the flame on the handle.  Long story short, Tim made good bu sending me a new lid at no cost several months back.  My GI sits outside year round in the mid-atlantic winter on my deck with only a generic grill cover.  Never found a company that stands behind it product more then Blaz'n, no a more helpful CSR then Tim.  My Blaz'n hasn't been perfect, but every problem I have had has been resolved to my complete satisfaction.  I would recommend this smoker to others, and I do.

BTW, didn't put the new lid on yet as winter is just setting in.  Will do so in the spring.
Pages:
Actions