Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best shredded beef chuck so far  (Read 3934 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Best shredded beef chuck so far
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2020, 11:47:39 PM »

Good info. I see what you mean. Will try to do the same.

Vmastros

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »

Charts and graphs? Come on now, it’s just bbq!!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2020, 09:44:56 PM »

To each his (or her) own, Vmastros.  As you spend more time here you'll see that we focus on being supportive.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Vmastros

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »

To each his (or her) own, Vmastros.  As you spend more time here you'll see that we focus on being supportive.

I have spent a lot of time here, like daily. I agree he can do whatever he likes. Thanks for being supportive. ;)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2020, 03:01:35 PM »

With cooking there are two extremes in approach, there is feel and analytical. Most folks are somewhere in between but it is interesting to look at the limiting cases.

The cook by feel is the person that can tell doneness very precisely just by pressing on the meat and feeling the response. It takes a lot of experience to be able to do this effectively.

The analytical cook will use instruments like thermometer. I definitely fall on the analytical side. I rely on thermometers and temperature profiles to get the best results.

It has improved the quality and consistency of what I cook. As such, I have a drawer full of very good food thermometers of various sorts.

The best way to cook is the way you enjoy and that produces the desired outcome. It may not be the same approach for me as it is for you. Or you may find that trying a different approach improves your outcome. You won't know until you try.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:32:21 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »

Has anyone tried this method for shredded beef with a shoulder roast?  I know they are leaner than a chuck but come from almost the same area.  It seems they are better just grilled like a thick steak but I'm not sure.  H-E-B has them on sale for $3.99 a pound here so I want get some but I'm not sure how to cook it.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2021, 01:02:06 PM »

The Shoulder Roast name came along after I quit cutting and wrapping meat with my father.  From what I can tell it's a new name for what we called the Under Blade Roast, although it could also be what we called the Chuck Eye Roast.  Both are more lean but the Under Blade has fewer individual muscles.

I think that the Chuck Eye would pull into strips nicely.  I don't think that the Under Blade would pull as well.

A butcher that has been cutting meat for a few years could probably tell you if the Shoulder Roast has another, older, name and if it's suitable for pulled beef.  (I saw a California Roast that I thought was from the chuck, but that was the only time I've seen that name.)

Sorry that this reply falls short of answering your questions.  I haven't kept up to date on the on-going beef cut renaming.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2021, 11:48:45 PM »

As an update, I have now cooked over 30 chucks in the past year and a half and the last few are even better. The change I made was adding more beef broth when wrapping.

I started with a very small amount. Now I liberally pour, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I am not really sure of the amount. I do it by feel, coating the meat without leaving a lot of extra.

I also maximize the temperature hold making sure that the chuck that is lagging in temperature gets at least an hour. Last time I did three for the first time and it worked great.

I actually had extra to freeze for the first time.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »

I haven't kept up to date on the on-going beef cut renaming.

I haven't either.  I think renaming is just a way to confuse the consumer.  I think it is a leaner cut from lover in the shoulder.  I'll get some and try it.  What's the worst that can happen other than dry out?  That's where the broth comes in.  I'll experiment at 4 bucks a pound.  I'll probably cut some up for stew meat also.

I actually had extra to freeze for the first time.

Finally!!  Thanks for the update.  That's another reason I wanted to give this thread a bump.  Newer users need to try Hank's method.  It's a hit every time I've done it. :clap:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up