Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remember when...  (Read 311 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Remember when...
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:09:52 PM »

It was a novelty to see another pellet cooker in the wild.  I recall when I used to drive around neighborhoods and every blue moon would see an extension cord running across a driveway along with the familiar perfectly blue smoke perfuming the air.

It was like seeing a rare bird in the forest, or a bear near your back deck. It just didn't happen often.  But when it did, it was a sight to behold. I would slow down, rubbernecking to see what model it was. Back then it was pretty much a Traeger, or in the rarest of circumstances a gmg. There really weren't many other options.

Today I was running through the neighborhood across the street. With the stay at home order in place, people are out grilling and smoking in full force. In the span of a 4 mile run, I saw at least 7 pellet cookers smoking away. I saw a few webers and certainly smelled a stick burner or two in the air as well, but more pellet cookers than any other type. It truly has hit the main stream.

I am happy for the industry, but sort of miss the days when it was a super niche market and something you had to seek out. The days when people would ask "what on Earth is that thing?"...

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Remember when...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 07:46:08 AM »

Yeah, the day when we were the only team at a competition with pellet pits.  Then Larry Hill showed up on the circuit and there were two teams in California!!!  Now they are all over the place.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:14:31 AM »

I will say that by far in our neck of the woods you are hard pressed to see anything but pellet grills. 5 people have bought them after seeing ours. 2 people at my work also.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 01:09:20 PM »

I bought my first pellet grill after seeing my brother-in-law's Traeger in 2013, now, virtually all of my family and my wife's family have at least one.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1]   Go Up