Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It Just Got Real  (Read 9576 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: It Just Got Real
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2020, 07:35:45 PM »

I think hospital beds are like guns, better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have one.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2020, 07:47:56 PM »

Great, where were you going to get the doctors and nurses to take care of those 90,000 beds when your sytem can only handle 23,000?  And especially since everyone believed we would all be in the same boat -- i.e. there would not be medical personnel from other jurisdictions which could come and cover.

A gun can break down and one person may need to pick up another 1, 2 or 3 more.  Living beings in hospital beds need to be tended to.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »

From the Washington Post:                                                   
 Save the Children is partnering with No Kid Hungry to distribute funds to local communities to ensure that the estimated 22 million schoolchildren who rely on school breakfast and lunches for daily nutrition have access to food during this pandemic.
Check Savethechildren.org to see how you can help.

22 million kids who may go hungry because schools are closed is beyond heart-breaking, it is simply devasting and disgraceful.  Food banks are also being emptyed.  I know things may be hard for some families and they can't help right now, but if you can please remember those who need our help.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2020, 11:37:28 AM »

Kids being hungry in this country is beyond sad. With the schools closing it is highlighted.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2020, 01:35:33 PM »

Schools in our area are still providing the same amount of lunches by having drive by and pick up options at the school, and also by sending buses around to the bus stops where the kids can be handed a lunch at certain times of the day.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:20 PM »

Two of probably many things that have amazed me during this pandemic.

1) The amount of children who really on school meals for the majority of their daily food intake.
2) The amount of beds in a hospital.  I never thought about how many there actually were before this.  I was somehow surprised that most large hospitals only have a few hundred beds in them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2020, 05:26:56 PM »

Just when you think you have heard or seen it all regarding Covid-19.  Over a month ago I commented to my daughter, a veterinarian  in NYC that according to the virus models you may be asked to treat humans.  I got an email from her the other day that started out with "Just as you predicted".  The NYC office of the Chief Medical Examiner sent out a notice last week requesting veterinary doctors and techs volunteer to work in hospital mortuaries.   

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »

It is bad to hear about the kids and not having meals. What really irritates me though it that there are all these farmers out there that are having to dump their milk and destroy eggs, while kids go hungry and food banks lines stretch more a mile. In my mind there is something F'd up somewhere for that to happen.

A farm a county or two away started bottling their milk and selling it and eggs. The first day they opened up there was a huge line and they sold out of everything in 2.5 hours. meanwhile you go to the store and the milk coolers are almost empty, they limit you to 1 maybe 2 dozen eggs.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »

The problem with milk sales is in production lines.  Some plants are centered only on making milk in single serving containers for schools or making cheese for bulk sales to restaurants or bulk packing of milk for commercial purposes.  These types of operations have been shut down or greatly diminished.  Dairy farmers have contract, or their co-ops have contracts, to sell to certain producers.  If that producer has had to cut back, then the dairy farmer has to dump his milk because no one to buy.  Our neighbor is a dairy farmer.  He has no ability to bottle his own milk for direct sale.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »

Just got done with my Cardiologist appointment, online. Video call, times have changed for sure.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2020, 05:25:19 PM »

So how do they know your blood pressure?

yorkdude

« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »

So how do they know your blood pressure?
No kidding, I have an implantable pacemaker/ defribulator . I have a bedside monitor that monitors it and if it misbehaves it sends them a notice. I monitor my blood pressure regularly and keep it logged. I hope they can take blood remotely and it won’t feel like they are injecting their next meal.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2020, 06:01:52 PM »

I just had my yearly physical by phone yesterday, all the doctor did is ask about my blood pressure and replenish some of my drugs. Tomorrow, I fast, go to the back door of his office, sign in, wait in my car and they will draw blood when it's my turn. They will call me with the results and forward a copy to my cardiologist and vascular surgeon. To tell the truth, except for doing it over the phone, that's all they normally do any way.   ::)
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

yorkdude

« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2020, 06:11:48 PM »

I just had my yearly physical by phone yesterday, all the doctor did is ask about my blood pressure and replenish some of my drugs. Tomorrow, I fast, go to the back door of his office, sign in, wait in my car and they will draw blood when it's my turn. They will call me with the results and forward a copy to my cardiologist and vascular surgeon. To tell the truth, except for doing it over the phone, that's all they normally do any way.   ::)
It is the same here also. The monitor tells them all they need to know. It was just weird visiting with my Cardiologist via video. Probably be the norm for a while anyway.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »

This technology isn't new. It is just being adopted more due to the virus. I had a call with a hospital I worked with 5 years ago setting up video for parents who had kids in the ICU. It was mostly for newborns (NICU). They couldn't get full adoption back then but now it is in demand. I think you will see more of this going forward.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up