Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: It Just Got Real  (Read 9573 times)

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: It Just Got Real
« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2020, 08:59:58 PM »

Had nothing to do with research.  It was a matter of wanting my math checked.

Now lets see if I can be mean and hateful with the rest of my comments...you must be an idiot if you don't think I can do research, where do you think I got my numbers? ?  How is that for a comment?  Make you feel warm and fuzy?

I assume you are replying to my response which was not to you.  I quoted the poster that was to me and never called anyone an idiot.  I will edit it so it is more warm and fuzzy for you, it is your forum.  The comments hit me wrong and seemed to be almost not real or connected to reality.  I will tone it down a bit.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:37:40 AM by ICIdaho »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »

I know it was not aimed at me, but it appears you understand what I was trying to accomplish.  Thank you.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #182 on: December 24, 2020, 12:43:42 AM »

Dont let the door hit you in the xxx on the way out!

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »

Had nothing to do with research.  It was a matter of wanting my math checked.

Now lets see if I can be mean and hateful with the rest of my comments...you must be an idiot if you don't think I can do research, where do you think I got my numbers? ?  How is that for a comment?  Make you feel warm and fuzy?

I assume you are replying to my response which was not to you.  I quoted the poster that was to me.  I will edit it so it is more warm and fuzzy for you, it is your forum.  The comments hit me wrong and seemed to be almost not real or connected to reality.  I will tone it down a bit.

I'll most likely get the boot, but don't really care as this forum doesn't have much useful activity for pellet grilling. Bentley has always been a heavy moderator, even worse at Pelletheads. He's the reason I quit posting there, and just mainly lurk here.
It's no wonder it's not that active of a board, talking to someone like that. Calling you an idiot, try calling him that and see what happens.

For me, sometimes it is not so much about content or staying on the primary subject as it is a feeling of talking with people I feel comfortable with, a distant extension of family, of whom I have never met in person and more than likely never will.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2020, 08:54:31 AM »

I'll most likely get the boot, but don't really care as this forum doesn't have much useful activity for pellet grilling.
  • I don't agree.  Please PM me the address if you know of a forum that has more or better activity or information.
  • Please don't just lurk and then complain that PF doesn't meet your standards.  Try contributing and asking questions.  Help bring it up to your expectations.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2020, 12:50:49 PM »

If we can maintain civility and sanity for just a few more months, it will be quite an accomplishment.

Merry Christmas to All.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2020, 04:07:07 PM »

If we can maintain civility and sanity for just a few more months, it will be quite an accomplishment.

Why do you say that?  And I'm not trying to start a fire here.  I don't think things are that bad, but I may see things different than others.

There have only been a few episodes here and there where people have gone over the edge taking things personal or extreme left or right when they probably shouldn't have.  There is certainly a bit to start a fire here every now and again, but I've seen worse on the internet.

Hopefully, cooler heads prevail and people don't take things so personal.  I think the last one had some embers burning with the individual and they started a fire with a remark that may have been misinterpreted in my opinion.  Maybe it should have been taken offline in a PM.   Stay cool...stay free...stay safe.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 04:10:00 PM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2020, 05:57:23 PM »

Just to be clear, wyrman asked to be deleted so I did!

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2020, 07:16:11 PM »

I believe the answer should be 0.084%

That sounds like a small number, and maybe it is. But we need to consider that's the rate with a lot of mitigation in place - masks, stay-at-home, social distancing, etc.  How much worse could it be with less/no mitigation? Hard to put a number on it, but I'm sure it would be much worse.  The death rate does not necessarily rise in direct proportion to the number of extra cases and would likely be higher.

My BIL was admitted to the hospital a few days ago with purple lips. His O2 saturation was at 70% and everyone in his family has tested positive. Most likely spread during a wedding of his daughter that my family declined to attend. He's in a covid ICU with 1 nurse for every 2 patients, receiving 60% supplemental O2, BIPAP, and on a host of experimental drugs. He's 55 years old and a bit overweight, but no other underlying conditions. He's doing OK but they expect he will be remain there for several more weeks. His case is not unique, and there would be a lot more deaths if folks like him were not able to receive treatment.

For all the folks that are out of work and struggling, that sucks. I hope you are able to withstand this crisis and recover from it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 07:36:28 PM by bregent »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »

I believe the answer should be 0.084%

That sounds like a small number, and maybe it is. But we need to consider that's the rate with a lot of mitigation in place - masks, stay-at-home, social distancing, etc.  How much worse could it be with less/no mitigation? Hard to put a number on it, but I'm sure it would be much worse.  The death rate does not necessarily rise in direct proportion to the number of extra cases and would likely be higher.

My BIL was admitted to the hospital a few days ago with purple lips. His O2 saturation was at 70% and everyone in his family has tested positive. Most likely spread during a wedding of his daughter that my family declined to attend. He's in a covid ICU with 1 nurse for every 2 patients, receiving 60% supplemental O2, CPAP, and on a host of experimental drugs. He's 55 years old and a bit overweight, but no other underlying conditions. He's doing OK but they expect he will be remain there for several more weeks. His case is not unique, and there would be a lot more deaths if folks like him were not able to receive treatment.

For all the folks that are out of work and struggling, that sucks. I hope you are able to withstand this crisis and recover from it.

Yeah, I am probably not too far from his demographic.  I've only been around 5-6 people at a time for a short period of time in the last 30 days.  And, quite frankly, those in that group already had covid back in March and still have very high anti bodies according to their recent testing.  Other than that, I have only been around a few people at a time in close distance for less than 30 minutes or so outside of being at the grocery store with a mask on.  Prior to that, I have been around 10-30 people outdoors for hours.

It is certainly a time that each person has to make a decision on what level of risk they wish to take.  I have been lucky.

I'm overweight, pre-diabetes, sleep apnea (with bi-pap machine), high blood pressure, etc.  I'm guessing outside of my age that I may qualify for the vaccine in Q121.  I am going to get it.  Seems like dying from Covid is higher risk than dying from common flu for those that get one or the other.  Until then, I am going to stay on my diet of hot sauce, chicken wings, lots of beers, taking all of my prescribed medicines, staying away from large groups indoors, and wearing a mask where appropriate.

I hope your BIL works through this challenge. This is a rough time of year for me.  My BIL died of a heart attack at 48 on Dec 28 2018.  I will never forget waking up in what I thought was a dream to my wife screaming in the living room after she heard the news.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2020, 08:25:10 PM »

We have no idea if your statement is true or not. 

We do not know what would have happened if we had not done one thing different than any other flu season. We have people that are experts in there field say we would have 2 million dead by this time even if we ad hear to the most strict regiments.  That has not happened.  So I guess it is just as easy for me to say, if we had not gone to all these lengths, we might already be over it, I think that is just as valid a point.

What I am tired of is no tolerance by either "side" for differing view points.  You are either selfish and a knuckle-dragger.  Or you are a scared little person that is afraid to live life.

How much worse could it be with less/no mitigation? Hard to put a number on it, but I'm sure it would be much worse.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 09:56:48 PM by Bentley »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2020, 09:06:38 PM »

I think the political interests of the media have certainly pushed one story or another. I have tried to find a center in all of that.  My position has been wear a mask if they recommend or require it, limit your contact as best as you can to a smaller group of people if you don't wear a mask and preferably do that outdoors, wash your hands, etc.

I am not a scientist or a many years trained or practicing doctor so I believe I should follow the direction of someone that has.  The challenge has been that those who I think should have been educated and trained under a similar standard often have differing opinions which perplexes me.  This has been a big reason why it has been a challenge for me to trust the media.

So, I am going to make the best decision that I can with the information I have gathered from multiple sources, and that my immediately family and friends are comfortable with.  That may mean that some prefer to stay away from me based on their assessment on how they have interpreted the information that they have researched. I am OK with that.  That is their choice.  I can't make decisions for them.  I can agree to standards on how those that want to interact with me want to interact.  I am OK with that.

Until our government can or desires to come to a standard agreement on how we should interact with or without masks, etc.; I am left to my own interpretation of what I can interpret from multiple sources of media that are battling against each other for what I believe to be political reasons. I am going to practice safety while attempting to enjoy my life to the highest percentage against what I did before the pandemic.

There you have it.  That is how I interpret this time of our lives that I believe none of us have ever had to interpret and decide on our own merits in our lifetime.  I certainly have not during mine.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #192 on: December 25, 2020, 12:46:25 AM »

Well I am a doctor(retired but trying to keep up with advances in medical knowledge) and I have trouble deciding what and who to believe. A few solid things I do know: Note: this is my opinion, not advice to you. I do not practice medicine now but just passing on common sense based on my present knowledge.
1.  Almost all the masks that I see are almost totally worthless because the "holes" between the weaving is much larger that the virus particles, so most of them can go through. Granted some of the particles can get caught.  Also, the virus can float around the edges just like the air does when you breath in or out. Also, even if it helps a little, many people wear them until they are loaded with larger particles of debris. Some I have seen that are so filthy, as to make them hazardous to the wearer for other reasons. The plastic visors are a joke for obvious reasons.
2. The only masks that are capable of stopping the virus to any degree are the N95 masks. They are made of a mesh material which can filter viral and other particles. They also fit more tightly around the face, nose and chin than the other masks thus reducing the amount of air that gets around the mask. They also can be recleaned and used more than once.  They are "95%"effective in catching most bacteria, which are larger than viruses, and many viruses as well, but not perfect in that regard. The critical issue is getting a good seal around the nose. If you get fogging of your glasses when you exhale, then you don't have the nose fitted snugly. When fitted snugly, the center of the mask will go in and out with breathing, and the edges all around will suck up when you inhale.
You can now buy them on eBay and Amazon, so--pay more, use them and reuse them (find out how on the net). And don't let me catch you covering up your mouth but NOT your nose.  (Sorry to say but I have seen doctors do that==Duh)
3.  Washing for 20 seconds with soap and warm water, lots of suds, works because the virus has a fatty covering that is broken down by the soap. When that happens, the virus dies. It is the 20 seconds that it takes for the fats to break down that is important. Most people just slap on a little soap and water and a quick rinse--which does not do the job. So do it right and often. Especially after handling goods in the store, door knobs in public places, receiving change in a store or restaurant.  Yes Alcohol 62% or better will kill the virus on your hands, but don't be chinsy about it. Use a large dollop.
4.  You can't catch the virus at home is a myth.  Carelessness is the blame.  Your mail man (or other delivery person) may be infected, or incubating, and he coughs on your package. Leaves it on your porch or in mail box. You go right out as he is leaving and pick up the package or mail. Then you place it on the table while you pick your nose or rub your eye.  The virus can live for several hours on those surfaces.  Wash your hands properly again after handling that stuff.  Sounds paranoid, but that does not mean virus can't get to you at home.
5. Yes 99.99% of the public will survive the virus--so what? That does not help people like me who are over 70, and have other risks, as in diabetes, high blood pressure, impaired renal function and heart disease plus other disabilities. Many of us will die or wish we had died if we survive and are left with residual lung and renal, liver damage.  So you younger folks are not being careful for yourselves only but for those not so young and healthy around you. My young nephew, age 60, had it, stayed home and survived. It was 3 weeks of xxxx for him. Yes he survived but would not want to live thru the pain, cough and misery again.
Most teens and below don't even know they are sick, but can inadvertently kill grandpa by being careless, or being taken for granted by grandma who picks them up at school or baby sits.  The kids don't spread it as easily, but that does not mean they don't spread it at all. The treachery here is that they don't know they are sick. Just be a bit more careful around them. They won't die or become schizophrenic just because you don't hug or kiss them right now.
6. A few homeopathic things are known to help your immunity to the virus:
    Zinc is known to reduce the severity of this type of virus, by attaching to the sites that the virus requires  and thus blocking it from attaching. 25 mg a day is recommended.
    Vit. D3 2000 units or more a day increases immunity
    Vit. C 1000 units a day May be helpful with healing.
    Quercetin  2000 to 3000 units a day increases immunity I think by interfering with viral attachment. But really not known to my knowledge.
7.  I won't discuss my feelings about the treatment medications available or controversial drugs that are used. Best left to practicing doctors. And I mean MD or DO-- not nurses, PA's, nurse practitioners, chiropractors, naturopaths.  Stick  with you MD or DO on this subject.
8. Vaccine--if you are over 60 get it! Either of those avail at present are good and more to come.
9. Freedom of religion--Yes! Going to church right now-not for me. I think God can hear my prayers from home just as well as from a crowded church pew. Your choice of course.
Lotsa other stuff but not for me to discuss. All the above is my opinion, based on 50 years of experience, and not personal advice to you. Ask your doctor when in doubt.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #193 on: December 25, 2020, 07:46:09 AM »

Thank you okie, a lot of information in your post. Much of it is in line with what I have read about and had seen the Zinc, VitD and C mentioned many times. I usually do all 3 especially in the winter.

I hate the whole mask thing, one it is not comfortable but more than that is seeing how people wear them. Why bother. We have a grocery chain they toss people put if you don't have one on, apparently a medical reason is not good enough to go maskless in their store, yet most of the people working there have them under their nose or big gaps along the side of them. I asked one guy there one time, he was dressed pretty nice looked like management of some sort and he as well had his under his nose as he was doing an end cap., about why we need to wear a mask if no one wears it the correct way. His response was the governor says we have to have a face covering. I said okay but your nose is sticking out an I under stand it lives in the nasal cavity, so your mask is basically useless. I thanked him and walked away.

I have found for myself I am more willing to wear them in a small local business, 1 because most seem to have them on correctly, and two. Knowing how people are about it, some are over the top, and if they see people in a place with out one they shout it from the roof tops that joes Hardware allow people to walk around with out any mask and that has the potential to harm Joes business. ( I would rather go buy from Joe than Lowes, so I don't want to see him close up.)

I think we all have our own health issues and we need to do what is best for us, do what you feel comfortable with and use some common sense and logic.

It seems like most things there are 2 sides to it, one side is outspoken but the other is way over the top. The people that follow and believe everything they see and hear from the government and news will turn your xxx in if they see something not they way they are lead to believe it should be. Our governor shut down restaurants and bars for dine in for 3 weeks. There were several little places that said we are going to stay open, and people were on the phone reporting them as soon as they saw it. It didn't matter if they ate there or not.

I am only 55 but the longer I live the more I dislike people. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 11:53:45 AM by Bentley »

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2020, 11:47:41 AM »

Just an FYI on CV progress:
1. Ivermectin (yes the drug used to treat intestinal worms in people and animals) has been found to be VERY effective in use as prophylaxis, treatment for people with known exposure, people with mild early CV, and maybe even moderate CV. It is a very safe drug, been around for 40 years and received a Nobel prize. A famous group of specialists has been reviewing all known drugs (not new) and found reports of double blind studies that prove this is true. Dr. Marek MD presented this info to the Senate Subcommittee last week. Look for it in the news. In several studies patients received either Ivermectin or Hydroxycloroquin.  Ivermectin was multiple times more effective. In particular the stats show that if you take Ivermectin prophylactically you will not get CV, and if you get CV and then take Ivermectin, you will not die of CV(I'm sure there will be exceptions).
2. Monoclonal antibodies (several new brands) have been made available for "emergency" use (not a full approval by FDA) and are effective for those with early disease.  My sister-in-law was just treated for early Covid with mild pneumonia with Bamlanivimab by IV on Thursday night and had overnight improvement, and now feeling good today.  She thinks its a miracle. Three days ago she had total body pain and fever with cough. (same kind of rx that Trump took the night he went to the hospital --and felt good the next day). P.S. SIL is 80 y/o.
3.Lesson?  If you get CV, there is good treatment, if you do not delay. But always check with your MD or DO. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 12:41:50 PM by okie smokie »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up