Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Advise for bottom round roast  (Read 1452 times)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
Advise for bottom round roast
« on: March 29, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »

I picked up a bottom round roast to experiment with. I have checked some recipes on-line and they point to smoking it to normal internal temperatures for the preferred doneness, rather than taking it high. It is described as a lean piece of meat that can be tough. Does anyone have recommendations for a good way to handle this cut on a smoker?

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Advise for bottom round roast
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »

I have never tried one but plan to in the near future. From things that I've read, if you don't cook them to a high temperature or sous vide for a long time, slice them very thin across grain.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 03:05:13 PM »

I just watched a video showing a couple being smoker in a Yoder. Everywhere I read says thin sliced across grain. I am not sure what it is like if you take it to high temperature.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »

I have never tried one but plan to in the near future. From things that I've read, if you don't cook them to a high temperature or sous vide for a long time, slice them very thin across grain.
I agree. The trick is to cook long and low temp to get both tender, and avoid dryness.  I would agree with sous vide at 150 for 12-16 hrs (just a guess), and then put on the smoker at 225 with a pan of water, or apple juice, etc (if not I would inject it) and bring it to 203 or about. Alternative would be to smoke it at 225, (with pan of water) until it stalled and then put it into a foiled pan with beef consume (a cup or two) and into the oven at 225 until the internal temp  203 was reached.
We have a local restaurant that is famous for their roast beef.  It is both lean, tender, and never cut more than 1/2 inch thick. I was able to find out that the cut is bottom round, but they would not tell me how they achieved the consistent tenderness and flavor. They always serve with thick brown gravy.  Was able to find that they do cook "overnight"   :2cents:

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 03:10:47 PM »

I just watched a video showing a couple being smoker in a Yoder. Everywhere I read says thin sliced across grain. I am not sure what it is like if you take it to high temperature.
I don't believe you can get a round tender if you don't take it to a higher temp. IMHO

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 03:18:03 PM »

I don't believe you can get a round tender if you don't take it to a higher temp. IMHO

This is why I asked the question. The idea of taking it to 135 didn't seem to make sense to me and I wanted some confirmation. I am still searching recipes. I want to find something describing what it is like at high internal temp.

This is a cut that I find regularly at Aldi in the sealed packages. I like the sealed meat at this time because it has a long shelf life before freezing. It helps reduce market trips.

This is also a good time to experiment since I am hunkered down at home with lots of time on my hands, at least on weekends.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:21:00 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:41:37 PM »

I believe that most Deli roast beef is made from slow cooked  medium rare either top, bottom or eye of round.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 03:47:43 PM »

I did this one last week or week before. If turned out great.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4897.0

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »

do a google search for baltimore pit beef
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:43 PM »

Did the search. It again points to standard internal temperatures and thin slicing.

I think I will go with 135 IT and thin slice it like the Baltimore Pit Beef.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:07:58 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 10:24:57 PM »

get a good char on the entire outside of the meat at the start and then finish cooking to desired temp in the 130s and slice...i have not done one that way for several years but have enjoyed them when i did
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 10:25:55 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

two different Baltimore pit beef cooks

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 12:10:27 AM »

Thanks, that looks really good. I notice that you slice it thin, but you did not shave it. I will take that to mean that you can do a good 1/4 inch or more and it will be fine.

Of course that will come out in the initial test cuts.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 07:15:00 AM »

Thanks, that looks really good. I notice that you slice it thin, but you did not shave it. I will take that to mean that you can do a good 1/4 inch or more and it will be fine.

Of course that will come out in the initial test cuts.

I'm not great with the manual knife which is part of the reason it was not shaved.  It was fine for me, but may not be for others.  It will not be as tender as a rib roast, but will be as tender as a NY strip.

okie smokie

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »

I believe that most Deli roast beef is made from slow cooked  medium rare either top, bottom or eye of round.
True but sliced thin across the grain to make it chewable. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up