Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daniel Boone Temperature Performance  (Read 865 times)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
Daniel Boone Temperature Performance
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:32:34 PM »

The charts below show the temperature performance of my Daniel Boone measured using a ThermoWorks Signals. The Signals did not make it to the end of the cook. It lost connection which it seems to do when the battery gets below a certain point. I am still working on that.

I measured the temperature using an ambient probe attached to the hot side of the grill in front of the meat. I set the Daniel Boone at 200 F to get 225 F at the probe.

I wrapped at about an IT of 160 and kept the Daniel Boone at 200 F until the chucks hit around 210. After than I lowered the Daniel Boone to 185, to get 210 at the grill and hold the chucks at that temperature for over an hour.

The total cooking time was 8 3/4 hours.

The Daniel Boone has pretty large temperature swings but it doesn't seem to impact the food.

I am posting a time strip chart and a histogram.

The mean temperature in the pre-wrap phase was 219, which is what I was looking for.

The standard deviation was 17.

Sampling was every minute. That means that the histogram is measuring minutes in each 5 degree bin range.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:36:15 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
Re: Daniel Boone Temperature Performance
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:07:35 AM »

Here is what it looks like when it is done.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]  

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 08:42:10 AM »

Good job on both counts: Reporting + the cook.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »

Looks good Hank.  Did you use any special rub or seasoning after on the meat?

The last two batches, including this one, I used something new for me, Rodelle Gourmet Prime Rib Seasoning for Beef and Pork.

What makes this different from other rubs I have used is the large chunks of seasonings and seeds. It is really course ground. In fact, it looks like it uses rock salt.

It has salt, sugar, black pepper, spices, bell pepper, garlic, onion and mustard seed. I added the rub the night before and let it dry brine over night.]

I really like this stuff. I may try it on my next tri-tip. I have been using Santa Maria seasoning for most beef.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:22:27 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 11:07:47 PM »

Here are more results from a tri-tip cook. It looks like I am getting 20 to 30 degree swings in temperature at the grill. The probe was located in the same spot as the previous cook.

There is the interesting internal temperature jump. I wonder if that has to do with something happening inside the meat such as a release of fat. It could also be a measurement anomaly but I would side with it being real. This time I got the entire cook with a bit of the cool down. The histogram is a bit more skewed that with the chuck roast.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:14:46 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »

Here is a full cook of two beef chuck roasts. I had three probes in chuck 1 (2 Signals and the GMG probe), and two in chuck 2 (1 Signals and 1 non wifi). Chuck 2 was on the cooler side and was lagging behind. I ran it 25 minutes longer. I have seen some interesting temperature jumps which may be due to something like fat pockets releasing. I am not sure. The fact that the curves are following good trends before and after point to something happening in the meat where the probe is. I was shooting for 225 and set the grill at 200, which worked before. This time I came out a little lower, which still worked out fine. The beef during out great. Cooking times were 8:45 and 9:10. Like the previous post, the histogram only includes points for the same temperature setting. I do not include points after I readjust the temperature.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:46:52 PM by Hank D Thoreau »
Pages: [1]   Go Up