Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Brushpopper on 16 Apr 2020
  • All it did was help them germinate.  Out of the 15 I planted, one is alive.  With that kind of batting average I don't think I'm going to get called up to MLB.  I'm stuck in the minors.
  • #17 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Apr 2020
  • I assume you mean suggests for keeping them upright in early days of growing before transplant. I don't really.  It is why I hate starting from seeds indoors.  The only folks I know who have success seem to constantly re-pot and put part of the stem a little deeper in the medium when they re-pot.
  • #18 by Brushpopper on 16 Apr 2020
  • That's what I need to be doing then.  I don't want to go to Walmart to get tomato plants, so I'm trying seeds.  And they never have the chile petin and pequin pepper plants I want.  They grow wild here in Texas, but only after a bird has eaten them.  The tomatoes came up and I'll go re-pot them.  Thanks!
  • #19 by Bentley on 16 Apr 2020
  • Our local power company has hired Asplundh Tree Services to do a bunch of tree trimming in our area.  They have been around the house for the last few days and got them to drop off two loads today, and they said they might have one for tomorrow.  It would take 2-3 years to break down, but we will use it as a ground cover for weeds in the big melon/squash beds...

• #20 by Bentley on 16 Apr 2020
  • And it is supposed to be 32° tonight, have fingers crossed!

• #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Apr 2020
  • At some point in my life Asplundh was what I thought was a local tree or landscape service company.  It seems like they have acquired many other local companies over the years.  No harm no foul as I don't know anything about them.

So, my question is, how do you contact them for assistance, what types of services will they provide, and what are the cost of those services? Do they provide some free of charge because they just want to get rid of some of the natural resources that they have accumulated?

I have no interest in their services because I just don't have a need based on my property.  I am asking because I think others may have a need and may be more receptive to help if they knew if the company had assets and/or services they were wiling to donate to those that needed them.

Carry on.
  • #22 by Bentley on 16 Apr 2020
  • Not exactly sure if you are asking a ?  The guys around here are being paid by the energy company.  I guess they would normally just dump the stuff on property that allows it and then smooth it out.
  • #23 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Apr 2020
  • Thought yesterday was going to be the start of planting.  Bent was going to rototill the beds I wanted to plant and prep the 3 big beds for planting in about 10 days.  But we have had so much rain recently everything was too wet and he said the beds were just too hard to till.  Need to let them dry out a bit.  So, of course, it rains today and we may get an inch and a half.  Guess now we will shoot for Sunday afternoon or, more likely, Monday.

The front bed is planted with his onions (which are doing well so far) and I am very happy that asparagus has returned to half of the bed -- an unexpected bonus!  The next bed is what he tried to rototill.  I will plant beets in it.  The big bed is where we will make two mounds then cover the rest of the bed in a heavy mulch of the wood chips and plant watermelon in about 10 days.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

His onions -- looking good so far!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Apr 2020
  • No garden here, but just read the forecast is for 2.5-3 inches of rain here today.
  • #25 by Brushpopper on 30 Apr 2020
  • No garden here, but just read the forecast is for 2.5-3 inches of rain here today.

Send some here.  Sunny and 90 in need of rain today.
  • #26 by hughver on 30 Apr 2020
  • My garden.  ;D
  • #27 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Apr 2020
  • What are you growing hughver?
  • #28 by hughver on 30 Apr 2020
  • Two types of basil, thyme, dill, mint and curly parsley. All came as an herb package, I also have cherry tomatoes that I'll do next.
  • #29 by Bentley on 30 Apr 2020
  • Is it hydroponic?  It appears to be on a stand with a timer, then the grow chamber appears to sit on top of that.  Is the lamp above a grow light?  Looks like a fairly advanced system, what is it called?
  • #30 by hughver on 30 Apr 2020
  • It's called an AeroGarden, this is the six pod Harvest Elite WiFi model. Yes, it's hydronic and the herb grow kit comes with liquid plant food that's added to the water and dirt filled seed pod containers that stick down into the water. The grow light is programmed to be on for a specific amount of time that is dependent on the plants that you are growing, the herbs get 17 hours of light a day. The digital readout also indicates when more water or plant food is needed. Another stay busy toy.
Pages:
Actions