Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show Us Your Gardens 2020  (Read 3786 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Show Us Your Gardens 2020
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2020, 03:36:11 PM »

Question...
Doesn't anybody have problems with birds or moths?
I don't see and netting over any of you gardens.

When things cool off, I want to put some raise beds out back in our sand dunes.
Have two zones (unused now) on our irrigation system in the sand dunes, so that was nice that previous owners had that installed.
We have a lot of birds that are pests, and in June we get a big influx of moths.

Has anybody used any protection over top of your gardens?
I know there are dozens out there (been googling a lot) but would prefer recommendations from people here that I trust have used the product.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »

Since the berries did so well this year, I thought we might have problems with birds but did not happen.  Don't know if it will be a problem in the future or if they just have enough other things to eat with surrounding crops.  Moths were only a problem when I was growing cabbages.  The only real damage has been to squash plants. I am usually reluctant to spray because I plant to attract pollinators.  If you have a certain spray you are looking at, you can PM and I can ask our hort agent.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2020, 11:57:48 AM »

Don't know if I want to use pesticides. Soapy water works well in many cases.
More concerned about bird than insects.  I doubt strawberries would fare well if not protected from birds.

At this point I am just looking to build the raised beds so want to plan ahead for protecting the plants.
Will probably need some protection from sun as well, 98 today.
Plan B would be to build the beds, see what happens and go from there.

Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2020, 03:00:38 PM »

I been around growing commercial strawberries in Fresno and Camarillo, and neither place ever used anything too keep birds away from plants.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2020, 03:14:07 PM »

OK, thanks...

Maybe Plan B (just build beds and see what happens) is best option and go from there.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2020, 04:29:00 PM »

You can always put up garden hoops and row covers if you want some sun protection, also for early or late frost.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2020, 04:32:09 PM »

You can always put up garden hoops and row covers if you want some sun protection, also for early or late frost.

Yes, I was looking at a couple of videos of how to make them out of 10' galvanized tubing.
Some innovative thinking...

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2020, 08:32:38 AM »

I think the garden is done for the year.  Bent's berries and peppers did really well, although I feel he picked the blackberries too early.  But we learned some things and will work to improve the berries next year.  The tomatoes were a disaster -- hit by wind and uprooted, then extreme heat, then too much rain.  Bushes got big, but not many tomatoes.  And the melons were a disaster. Same thing happened to them as the tomatoes, except the rain just made them get huge, but still trying to get ripe in mid-Sept and so are starting to rot.  This watermelon has been the first with a bit of flavor, but not as good as prior years.  Ah well, learned things so there is always next year!!!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up