Pages:
Actions
  • #121 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 Sep 2017
  • Had a nearly identical burner on the rangetop in my last house. Mine was 15,000 BTU. The camp chef site says 16,000 BTU for theirs. Inside with no wind and at room temperature it was slightly underpowered for rolling boil, but was perfectly fine for simmering or other lower heat applications. I actually removed the cover plate over mine thinking it would provide some extra power. It actually worked worse because there was nearly zero heat outside of the actual flame. Factor in the outdoors, and I believe Bentley's original assessment is probably accurate. It would work ok, but not better than OK. And also very inefficient. Obviously, this is not an apples to apples comparison, but I would bet some money the functionality of my old burner and this one is very similar.

• #122 by Bentley on 26 Sep 2017
  • No I am not.  No, and I will tell you why.

I trust FMT and he basically just gave me the data.  And I am not going to waste my money on gas to show a test on an option that is not designed to do what folks are asking for.  It is a Sear Box, it was sent here to be a sear box, not a side burner...and that is how we will test it!

Hope that answers your question.

are you sure ?     any chance of an objective test .   maybe pre-heat  for a certain time period , then  how long to how hot on both ?
  • #123 by Queball on 26 Sep 2017
  • As I said, I apologize for the inconvenience. That's fine.
    • Queball
  • #124 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Sep 2017
  • I did not say it wasn't tender, I said it was not as tender as it could have been.
    Ok not as tender, not a moist and my point was the Butt was under cooked for Pulled Pork which would 100% contribute to that, if the Butt had been cooked to probe tender, the IT would have had been higher than 202 and you would probably or most likely have a different perspective. I understand Bentley said he ran out of time and had to pull early, I wasn't criticizing Bentley on his cook just stating a fact it wasn't cooked as well as it could have been due to time constraints. Plenty of people winning good money on the comp circuit cooking at 300/325/350 if cooking hot was a disadvantage they wouldn't do it.

That being said when using a PG I'd rather cook at much lower temps to try and impart more smoke flavor. 

Sorry for the distraction and I'm glad to read the rest of the WoodWind performance test, looks like a great PG for the money.

Yes, and being competition cooks and pellet pit users for over 15 years, we would not have known that but for your insight. But I am not criticizing you or you painfully obvious observations.
  • #125 by Bentley on 27 Sep 2017
  • Today was a loss.  I battled equipment, hardware and weather and I lost on each count.  I am done trying to test in 90° temperatures & 70° Dew Points.  Our weather is supposed to have a cold front moving in this weekend, if it does, I will resume.
  • #126 by pdf256 on 28 Sep 2017
  • The sear box on my Woodwind doing what it was made for.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Pork chops after an hour or so on High-Smoke and then onto the sear box.
  • #127 by LowSlowJoe on 28 Sep 2017
  • Today was a loss.  I battled equipment, hardware and weather and I lost on each count.  I am done trying to test in 90° temperatures & 70° Dew Points.  Our weather is supposed to have a cold front moving in this weekend, if it does, I will resume.

our late summer heat wave broke last night... it's back to more 'fall' like temperatures in Southeastern Michigan now... so the cool should be to your place tonight or tomorrow...

Oddly... Detroit had a record high of 92F on Monday ( I think it was Monday )... the local weather man said it was the hottest day of the year so far... (I sure hope we don't get hotter from here on out ).  Normal Michigan summer, we get close to , or just above 100F at the end of July or early August...   First time I personally remember the second week of September being above 90F around here....
  • #128 by Bentley on 28 Sep 2017
  • New data posted.
  • #129 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Sep 2017

our late summer heat wave broke last night... it's back to more 'fall' like temperatures in Southeastern Michigan now... so the cool should be to your place tonight or tomorrow...

Oddly... Detroit had a record high of 92F on Monday ( I think it was Monday )... the local weather man said it was the hottest day of the year so far... (I sure hope we don't get hotter from here on out ).  Normal Michigan summer, we get close to , or just above 100F at the end of July or early August...   First time I personally remember the second week of September being above 90F around here....

I've been in Chicago for a week and a half.  The first week was record setting temps all in the 90's.  Dropped into 70's yesterday.  It is going back to mid 80's when I return back to Chicago next Monday.  More heat may make its way East next week.
  • #130 by Bentley on 29 Sep 2017
  • I stated my feelings earlier about the biscuit tests.  Others like it and want it, so I will try and make a compromise.  I will post them in comments and will not make them an official part of Performance Tests.  And I will give you my reasoning, it is very relevant for this unit and probably will be for others.  My biscuit recipe calls for 450° for 12-15 minutes.  There is no 450° setting on the Woodwind.  So I ask you, is that a fair test?  Having said all this I give you results.

Woodwind set on 400°, biscuits cooked for 15 minutes.  Flour, buttermilk, lard, salt and sugar.

• #131 by Bentley on 29 Sep 2017
  • I am kind of a purist.  The Woodwind Sear box does a great job at charring food. I am a purest, and like my meat grilled over hardwood...so I give you that in the Performance Tests with a chicken breast.
  • #132 by Kristin Meredith on 29 Sep 2017
  • The chicken was very good.  Tender and moist.  I was surprised by the grill marks.
  • #133 by Bentley on 29 Sep 2017
  • The biscuits cooked pretty well.  So the Woodwind did a nice job...the only issue was, it was not Southern Biscuit mix, it was my biscuits from scratch...and they simply are not good, so they will be made into a Bread Pudding, which is on the Woodwind right now!  350° for 1 hour!

• #134 by Bentley on 29 Sep 2017
  • Having cooked the Biscuit's, Bread Pudding and Banana Bread, I believe I can Objectively say the Woodwind Bakes very well!

• #135 by Bentley on 29 Sep 2017
  • On to 35 Day Wet Aged Angus Flank for a couple of hours of Smoking with Woodwind on Low Smoke setting then a quick sear on the Sear Box, for some modified Fajitas.

Pages:
Actions