Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion Thread for Camp Chef WoodWind Model PG 24 WWS  (Read 42811 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Discussion Thread for Camp Chef WoodWind Model PG 24 WWS
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »

I know on my Blazn that has something similar, the slide out mechanism was very hard to pull out when I bought it used as it had a buildup of creosote, grease, ash, etc. that sort of formed a glue that made it very challenging to turn the knob on the side of the grill to pull out the firepot chassis.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 09:06:49 AM »

I wonder why that ash can is powder coat instead of stainless steel.  I can't see that paint lasting very long.  But I like the concept.

Not directly related... but one of the things that I've been concerned about  with the ash dump, is how well it all will hold up over time. Obviously on a short performance test that issue won't really be able to be tested in any way. But I am curious about how the whole mechanism will hold up over time.  Another related issue I have had concerns about is how tight the fit is around where the sliding bottom of the firepot is, and is there any air, or embers that can get blown out through whatever tiny gaps there might be where that piece slides out from under the cylinder shaped firepot???  not sure if Bentley can test in anyway, or make some comment about how much play there is in the mechanical fit of that sliding bottom part.

I've had mine right at 18 months with a LOT of use.
No issues what so ever with the ash dump. I've never seen any ash or embers escape.
The ash cup is larger than the opening of the fire pot. I would think if anything did escape it would be caught by the cup.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »

I wonder why that ash can is powder coat instead of stainless steel.  I can't see that paint lasting very long.  But I like the concept.

Not directly related... but one of the things that I've been concerned about  with the ash dump, is how well it all will hold up over time. Obviously on a short performance test that issue won't really be able to be tested in any way. But I am curious about how the whole mechanism will hold up over time.  Another related issue I have had concerns about is how tight the fit is around where the sliding bottom of the firepot is, and is there any air, or embers that can get blown out through whatever tiny gaps there might be where that piece slides out from under the cylinder shaped firepot???  not sure if Bentley can test in anyway, or make some comment about how much play there is in the mechanical fit of that sliding bottom part.

I've had mine right at 18 months with a LOT of use.
No issues what so ever with the ash dump. I've never seen any ash or embers escape.
The ash cup is larger than the opening of the fire pot. I would think if anything did escape it would be caught by the cup.

That is good to know.  This is a nice looking grill for the price point and features.  You could get one of these and their cabinet model pellet smoker and have a nice duo for less than you can buy a MAK, Memphis, or FEC.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »

Camp Chef advises that it has received a shipment of the sear stations and is sending one out to us.  So I think we will be able to add it in a few days and it will become part of the Performance Test.

Old Salt

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »

How is the stability?  I've not seen one in person, but to me, the pictures make the legs look awfully close together.  I'd be interested to know, especially once yall attach the sear box, if it feels like there is ANY chance it could tip one way or the other.

Queball

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »

In the 5th picture there is a lttle wooden handle thing that hind of looks like a fork. What is that for?

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »

In the 5th picture there is a lttle wooden handle thing that hind of looks like a fork. What is that for?
It's for (I think) raking pellets past the guard. I removed my guard in the hopper, if your dumb enough to get your
fingers in such a slow moving auger you deserve to lose your appendages.
What I use mine for it is a handy door proper.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »

Will do a video overview of the unit and hope it will maybe answer some question, then try and do another when it is running, maybe at night (doubt my $150 camera will work) to see.

Another related issue I have had concerns about is how tight the fit is around where the sliding bottom of the firepot is...
...embers that can get blown out through whatever tiny gaps there might be where that piece slides out from under the cylinder shaped firepot???  not sure if Bentley can test in anyway, or make some comment about how much play there is in the mechanical fit of that sliding bottom part.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »

Very good right now, as good if not better then any I have PT.  Will update when the Sear Station is installed.

How is the stability?  I've not seen one in person, but to me, the pictures make the legs look awfully close together.  I'd be interested to know, especially once yall attach the sear box, if it feels like there is ANY chance it could tip one way or the other.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

Yes. 

And I know this is done for liability issues, (and obviously we will not be) but I have to wonder once home, how many folks 86 that 1st thing!

It's for (I think) raking pellets past the guard. I removed my guard in the hopper, if your dumb enough to get your

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »

You could have a min-zen garden and place next to the pit.  As you sit beside the pit on a lovely evening contemplating your long haul cook of brisket, you rake you Zen garden in a soothing pattern with your tiny rake.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 03:19:27 PM »

PT thread updated.

Queball

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »

Love the ash dump! ..... Looks like a very nice unit overall. Can't wait to see how it cooks!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 04:39:42 PM »

When you use your units to compete, or just move your unit a lot, wheels become an important feature.  The wheels are an upgrade from most units. The way they do the ash clean out.  I am not trying to belittle anyone or engineers in general.  I wondered why my Traeger did not have it 1 month after I bought it in 2003.  It always seemed so simple, I never understood why all Manufactures did not use it. 

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »

X2, I vacuum my burn pot every cook.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up