Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion Thread for Camp Chef WoodWind Model PG 24 WWS  (Read 42812 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Discussion Thread for Camp Chef WoodWind Model PG 24 WWS
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »

I think he needs a grill just to cook fish on so it doesn't stink up the other stuff he cooks. ;)
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »

Normally I would not comment about a cook do to the fact that a person might think the unit being Performance Test did some thing wrong.  So I am putting the comments here, and I would like it known that the Woodwind cooked the Salmon just like I expected it to...Right!

OK, so I don't eat salmon, but I have come to believe I know how to prepare it and make it a good meal.  I never cared about that white stuff, just figured it was part of the nasty meat and since I did not have to deal with it, I did not care.  Then I learned this is the fat in the meat.  Well, I certainly would not want to cook a beautiful rib-eye in a way that all of the delicious fat would be extruded from it! To me it was as flaky as last week, one way I know I have cooked it pretty good, but I knew that with all the fat gone from the protein, I knew it would have no flavor and was gonna require a lot of dill mayo!

I was taught that a brine would always remedy this, even if it was for only 20 minutes.  This filet was brined in a 6% salt/sugar solution for 4 hours.  Now I have warm smoke salmon before and don't remember the fats coming to the surface like this.  I knew that the meal was going to be no where near as tasty as last weekends meal.  All you have to do is look at the finished meat. 

So I will stick to grilling salmon I cook for others, about a 15 minute process as opposed to "smoking" it for an hour.

For those of you that cook a lot of salmon, can you shed any light as to why the fat would have come out of it like it did being cooked the way it was?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:10:47 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »

Normally I would not comment about a cook do to the fact that a person might think the unit being Performance Test did some thing wrong.  So I am putting the comments here, and I would like it known that the Woodwind cooked the Salmon just like I expected it to...Right!

OK, so I don't eat salmon, but I have come to believe I know how to prepare it and make it a good meal.  I never cared about that white stuff, just figured it was part of the nasty meat and since I did not have to deal with it, I did not care.  Then I learned this is the fat in the meat.  Well, I certainly would not want to cook a beautiful rib-eye in a way that all of the delicious fat would be extruded from it! To me it was as flaky as last week, one way I know I have cooked it pretty good, but I knew that with all the fat gone from the protein, I knew it would have no flavor and was gonna require a lot of dill mayo!

I was taught that a brine would always remedy this, even if it was for only 20 minutes.  This filet was brined in a 6% salt/sugar solution for 4 hours.  Now I have warm smoke salmon before and don't remember the fats coming to the surface like this.  I knew that the meal was going to be no where near as tasty as last weekends meal.  All you have to do is look at the finished meat. 

So I will stick to grilling salmon I cook for others, about a 15 minute process as opposed to "smoking" it for an hour.

For those of you that cook a lot of salmon, can you shed any light as to why the fat would have come out of it like it did being cooked the way it was?

Here are the temps I use for warm smoking salmon. It does prevent the fish from fatting out.

100°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
175° for 1-2 hours to finish

Never tried the pellet muncher as it doesn't go that low.

My  :2cents:
FE PG 1000

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2017, 09:57:56 PM »

Finish temp was too high.  Fat starts to render at 175, so the outer layers of the fish got really cooked, contracted and then contributed to squeezing out the fat/protein.

So, it really depends on what you're trying to do.  If you want a cold smoked salmon, it's gonna take a long time and the grill shouldn't exceed 170.  If you're going to grill it, don't warm smoke it first, as you'll warm the fish too much, which collapses the window of "doneness" to something that's so small it's almost impossible to hit.

I have always cooked salmon on high heat, flesh down first for about 3-4 mins.  Then I flip, and really cook the tar out of the skin side, as it will take a LOT of abuse.  However, I usually pull the fish at an IT of close to 100, and no higher than 110.  134 would be way too high in my book and is why you saw the protein exudation.  This way the salmon is not dry/chalky/fishy...it's just delicious.  Most fish is overcooked, so I use that as my guide.

I've got a really good marinade that I'll post in the recipe section.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »

So much for thinking the manufacturer got short changed. In four days, there is a six page discussion and 1500 plus views on the actual PT.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »

I have warm smoked after brining and not had this issue, so I was some what confused by it.  All I know is from now on what I serve, unless cold smoked will be grilled!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »

I do not think it is, but I do not know.  This stuff is way past me.  Kristin has informed Camp Chef that there are question being asked we cannot answer...will see if they come on to answer them?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Camp Chef controller is PID based setup...   But maybe I should ask Bentley directly...  Does the Camp Chef Woodwind control the output of the combustion fan depending on temperature fluctuations, or is the fan on constantly?.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »

The sear unit just came!

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »

Added a couple of photos of the Sear Station Components.  I had every intention of installing it, but it is sunny and 87°, and it is just miserable outside!  I will say that the main grate has nice heft to it, I believe it is a coated cast iron with slightly raised grills and I look forward to using it.

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »

The sear unit just came!

Time for burgers & steaks. :lick:
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Queball

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »

That appears to be quite a substantial unit. In addition to searing, is reasonable to think it could be used as a side burner to heat sauces or corn on the cob, etc. does it weigh a lot? Thinking if it could replace the side shelf on a PG500?

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »

The sear unit just came!

So now the question is... will Bentley rethink the evils of gas?
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2017, 07:51:50 PM »

The bonus of your "table" is that you can press your dress shirt after your done searing to go out for your karaoke/dance night.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »

Let me just say it is not a lightweight accessories!  I think Kristin was going to see if it might function like that, but it seems to have the U shaped burners, then a diffuser plate with many small holes, then the grill.  Will have to see.

In addition to searing, is reasonable to think it could be used as a side burner to heat sauces or corn on the cob, etc. does it weigh a lot?

I have not been around Semi-Evil gas units on a regular basis since 1991!  I have never needed one since then.  I went from gas, to UDS for about 7 years, then about 2 years on a Smoky Joe to the Pellets.  And I have never needed gas since the Traeger in 2002.  If it works for you great, I just don't need it!

So now the question is... will Bentley rethink the evils of gas?

JaJaJa...Kristin bring this thing out and when she did, she has this little pygmy one on top of it!

The bonus of your "table" is that you can press your dress shirt after your done searing to go out for your karaoke/dance night.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up