Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perhaps You Can Help Make a Face Mask?  (Read 304 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Perhaps You Can Help Make a Face Mask?
« on: April 01, 2020, 07:15:54 AM »

Hey PelletFans -- I know this has nothing to do with cooking, but would like to share some info and maybe there are folks out there who can help and would like to help.  I know it is sexist, but I am sure most men on this forum don't sew, but you may have a wife, girlfriend, sister, aunt, etc who does and who might appreciate the info (read the link under "handmade items" and you will find info on sewing face masks):

1.  There may be some with sewing skills and you can make some of the "higher end" masks and send them to MWH. Or you can check with a hospital in your area and see if they are accepting.  This gives a pattern.

2.  You may want to use their patterns to make for your own use or use by relatives in higher risk situations -- or you may know of assisted living communities which would be grateful for the masks and be able to help them.  Or provide the patterns to folks who could help them.

3.  You can also find a local JoAnn's Fabrics.  They are putting together pre-cut kits and allowing folks to pick them up (outside the store), sew the mask, and return to the store.  JoAnn's will then distribute to hospitals (at least the one here in Culpeper is doing this)

I am not a great seamtress, but I think I will go to JoAnn's and get one and see if I can help.  I have a friend who is an excellent seamtress (demostrated for Viking Sewing Machines) and she is busy making the more complicated ones.  Bless all you folks out there helping.

https://www.marywashingtonhealthcare.com/COVID-19/COVID-19-Donations.aspx

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Perhaps You Can Help Make a Face Mask?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »

Do you know if there are any videos or how to out there on sewing them. Our local JA fabrics have it also. I learned to sew a little in Home Ec when I was in school, showing my age there i guess. I can still do a bit of it if it isn't to involved. I hemmed my GFs pants for work, I found fabric glue so I seem to use it for a lot of things now.

I wonder ho they clean or sterilize them once they get them back?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 08:06:52 AM »

Sorry, I don't know of any videos, but there are probably folks out there who have already done some.  Maybe even JoAnn's?

I don't know how they clean or sterilize, but I assume hospital laundries would do the same for the masks as they do for scrubs and sheets and towels and the surgical draping materials they use in surgeries.  I think that is why cotton fabric needs to be used.

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:50:38 AM »

I just read on article about making masks and they recommend using tea towels for the material. Sounds like it would be more effective than t-shirt. Also said fabric ties are better than elastic as it can be sterilized.

Wish I could sew but it's not my forte. Thanks to every one that can.
FE PG 1000
Pages: [1]   Go Up