Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1ST Attempt at Spareribs  (Read 902 times)

bray144k

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
1ST Attempt at Spareribs
« on: April 03, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

Cooked unwrapped for almost 6.5 hours. It was definitely too long as the outside became tough and the inside was mush. Still a delicious way to learn. They looked good anyway.

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: 1ST Attempt at Spareribs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »

Those are some huge ribs. The only way to figure out your way to cook them is trail and error. I have messed up a few Briskets in my day. They look good
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 09:07:41 PM »

Cooked unwrapped for almost 6.5 hours. It was definitely too long as the outside became tough and the inside was mush. Still a delicious way to learn. They looked good anyway.

Just curious what temp were you cooking them at?

I had a simular experience last week. In this work from home day and age we now find our selves in, I figured I could have some ribs cooking while doing a ZOOM meeting online. I planned on doing them unwrapped and had it timed so the ribs would be done about the same tine the meeting was scheduled to be over. We ended up going a little more than an hour later than anticipated. When the meeting was finished, I was starting to get hungry and began wondering what was in the fridge to eat. Then it hit me, RIBS! I had forgotten all about them! They were still cooking away on the grill. They were a bit over cooked, but they sure hit the spot!!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 10:33:06 AM »

If you are trying new techniques, try 275° bone down the whole time.  Try one at the end of the 3 hours and see what you think.  This is the FE method.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 11:02:41 AM »

If you are trying new techniques, try 275° bone down the whole time.  Try one at the end of the 3 hours and see what you think.  This is the FE method.

100% agree...and don't lift the lid on the smoker the entire 3 hours.  You may need an extra 30-60 minutes depending on how big the rack is.  Baby Backs usually about 3 hours, STL ribs about 3.5, full spare rib like that may be closer to 4 hours.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »

I just cooked three racks of STL Spares on Thursday. Pit set at 235.  Ribs cooked for a little over 6 hours, spritz every hour for first 4 hours. Probed tender and bend tested at 6.25 hours. Pulled from bones a bit.  Sauced them and back on the pit for about 35 minutes to set sauce a little. Pulled then rested about 15 minutes. Been making them this way a while now.  Come out very good.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »

I make them several ways but for the most uniform results, I still like 3:2:1 method. Starting at 200* for the first 3 hrs with one or two spritz. Then foil with couple ounces of apple juice, brown sugar, butter, honey for two hours at 225*, then unwrap, sauce, and back on at 225* for whatever it takes to set sauce or get the texture. It takes more time but seems more uniformly successful to me.  Or FE method at 275 for 3-4 hrs if you can't spare the time--but results not as uniform for me. Lots of ways to skin this cat tho.  :bbq:

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »

I tried FE quite a while ago and the ribs burnt on one side. I think that the Fast Eddie method works on some grills better than others.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »

I tried FE quite a while ago and the ribs burnt on one side. I think that the Fast Eddie method works on some grills better than others.

Hmm...I've made them that way on at least 5 different grills and never had the issue you speak of.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »

FE method is fine but to me not as uniform in results. Sometimes the ribs are a bit chewy on surface (not crust). But they are cooked and tasty.

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 09:40:53 PM »

I modified the FE method and do not use the brown sugar.  My first attempt also burned.  I think the indirect fire pot of the grill they use is the difference.  I only do FE now on a GMG with great results.  The baby backs do finish faster than the spare ribs though.  It is typically between 3 to 4 hours at 275 depending on the size for my grill.  Just had some last weekend.

ZCZ

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 04:52:18 AM »

2-1-1 at 260 the whole way. My 2015 Royal method is in the recipe section. Hope it helps.
Al
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

bray144k

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

I had them at 250 for about 6 hours. I was working so I did the bend test too late and they were already way past done. So lesson learned.

ZCZ

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 07:52:20 PM »

I had them at 250 for about 6 hours. I was working so I did the bend test too late and they were already way past done. So lesson learned.

I do Baby Backs without foil at about 230 or so and it takes about 7 hours.  I start saucing after about 3-4 hours then every half hour add more sauce (alternate bone side and meat side) until done.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

okie smokie

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »

3:2:1 ribs on the pit today@ 225*. They say St. Louis on the package, but were not hardly trimmed at all. But they are St. Louis now! Saved the trim pieces and they are on also.  Hate to waste good meat.  Will be ready for supper at about 6PM (or earlier). Skipped lunch today to make room!   :lick:
Pages: [1]   Go Up