Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hottensne on 06 Apr 2020
  • Hello,
    I have been looking at getting a pellet grill, been researching the 30.06, Traegers, along with others. Does anyone on here own a 30.06, if so how do you like it and would you recommend it?

Also new to the pellet grill idea, I see most people doing long smokes and stuff. Is it a long process to just cook a burger, like a propane grill where you just turn it on and cook. Or is there a lot of settings to just do a simple burger or sausage? Is it worth getting a pellet grill if I will mostly do burgers and sausages but I would like to get into brisket, ribs, steaks, etc.

Thank You
  • #2 by GatorDave on 06 Apr 2020
  • Hello,
    I have been looking at getting a pellet grill, been researching the 30.06, Traegers, along with others. Does anyone on here own a 30.06, if so how do you like it and would you recommend it?

Also new to the pellet grill idea, I see most people doing long smokes and stuff. Is it a long process to just cook a burger, like a propane grill where you just turn it on and cook. Or is there a lot of settings to just do a simple burger or sausage? Is it worth getting a pellet grill if I will mostly do burgers and sausages but I would like to get into brisket, ribs, steaks, etc.

Thank You

Most pellet grills aren't that great for the quick burger route.  They are much better for low and slow.  There are some that will do the hot and fast, but it really isn't there strong suit.  An alternative to look at is the Masterbuilt Gravity smoker.  It works with charcoal rather than pellets, but it does a much better job with the burgers and sausage.  It also works really well with the low and slow.
  • #3 by Bentley on 06 Apr 2020
  • I think some pellet units grill burgers fine, from my $600 GMG to my $3000 Memphis Pro.  The FE units grill better then any charcoal or gas unit I have ever seen.
  • #4 by pmillen on 06 Apr 2020
  • My answer to your grilling question will depend on what you're grilling with now.
  • #5 by hottensne on 06 Apr 2020
  • I think some pellet units grill burgers fine, from my $600 GMG to my $3000 Memphis Pro.  The FE units grill better then any charcoal or gas unit I have ever seen.

Thank You for the response, I'm kinda new to this, what is a FE grill?
  • #6 by hottensne on 06 Apr 2020
  • My answer to your grilling question will depend on what you're grilling with now.

I currently have a cheapo charbroil propane grill. I looking to get a better not necessarily a bigger grill. I mostly grill burgers, steaks, sausages, and chicken breast and wings now. But I would like to start cooking brisket, ribs, pulled pork, some fish, maybe even some pizza.
  • #7 by W6YJ on 06 Apr 2020
  • Thank You for the response, I'm kinda new to this, what is a FE grill?

Fast Eddy PG500. I've not seen anyone here that hasn't liked theirs.

They were too pricey for my budget, but are significantly cheaper at $1800 than the 30.06.
  • #8 by pmillen on 06 Apr 2020
  • I currently have a cheapo charbroil propane grill.

I suspect that any one of the pellet units that offer high temperature grilling capability in addition to low and slow smoking will be a substantial step up in flexibility and wood smoke flavor additions.  You might look at any one of what I consider to be the top three (I won't argue about the order people place them).
         In alphabetical order--
         Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500 or PG1000
         MAK
         Memphis (any model)
    There are other pellet units that have grilling capabilities that will serve you well.  Some darn good food comes off of the least expensive, least feature rich units.   You will like any one of them better than your propane unit.

Hopefully you can find a dealer that will cook something for you.

If you live close to Omaha, NE I'd cook something that you bring to my house.  You provide the meat and I'll provide the beverage.
  • #9 by MysticRhythms on 06 Apr 2020
  • I love my PG500.
    Depending on how much you want to grill at once it might turn out to be too small for you, that is the most common issue with it.
    You can grill 3-4 good sized rib steaks or 8 or so burgers.
    People that are more skilled with moving things around could cook more. The grill is divided into zones and there are 2 zones right above the firepot, one right at flame level and the second one maybe 10 inches or so higher. You could move things around from the lower to the upper levels and cook quite a bit at once, I have just never needed that much capacity.
    The controller might look and sound intimidating but one or two cooks is all you need to get it.
    Lots of great info on all the units in the Pit Talk section.
  • #10 by glitchy on 06 Apr 2020
  • Your story sounds like a good case for the Weber SmokeFire. In my experience it’s the best “grilling” pellet grill I’ve seen. Keep it clean and use drip pans under fatty smokes and it has a lot of promise low and slow too. Otherwise, for good grilling pellet grills the ones already mentioned by others are great too, just significantly more expensive. Memphis will definitely grill and bake well as well as do low and slow.

I have a Woodwind WiFi with sear box now. It will get to 450 or so and makes a good burger. If I cook steaks there I smoke and finish them on the Sear box for a couple mins.

What makes most pellets grills very mediocre for high temp is they are designed for indirect and take a little longer to recover temps when the lid is opened. Many are making special inserts now to create a direct zone over the fire pot, but often end up with a pretty small direct flame zone. It works, but is usually only good for like 3-4 burgers or a couple steaks.

What you are looking at might be great, but isn’t very established yet. The Weber is brand new too and definitely has some hiccups to overcome.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Apr 2020
  • If you are looking for something that gets up to high temp as fast as a propane grill, a pellet grill may not be for you.  Most take 15-30 minutes to get really hot.  The fastest I have scene was when glitchy tested the Weber pellet grill.
  • #12 by glitchy on 06 Apr 2020
  • If you are looking for something that gets up to high temp as fast as a propane grill, a pellet grill may not be for you.  Most take 15-30 minutes to get really hot.  The fastest I have scene was when glitchy tested the Weber pellet grill.

I heard the latest firmware update slowed it down though as some were crying that it overshot the set temp before setting back down. I didn’t really see that, but it was pretty cold here when I had it, so that could have helped it come stop right on quicker.
  • #13 by Bennett on 09 Apr 2020
  • My favorite combo is to have a pellet grill and a Blackstone griddle.
Pages:
Actions