Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Knock Off...  (Read 1190 times)

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: The Knock Off...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 10:47:30 PM »

We have one of the George Foreman grills, but I  think it would have two problems:

Don't think it will go down to under a quarter inch or less of meat thickness. It works pretty well on 3/8" or thicker patties.

It has raised ridges (~1/8" high top and  bottom) about a half inch apart. If cooking a thin patty, my guess is these ridges would cut through or almost through a thin patty.

The IMUSA GAU-80102 looks almost like a George Foreman grill, but without ridges (and no temp control like the GF)

MysticRhythms

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 11:09:39 PM »

t would be neat to find a double sided electric grill like a topsider grill for home use.

Looking around I found a few, but none specify the minimum thickness of whatever you're trying to cookand appear to be more geared to making paninis

Something that would make contact with both sides of a few 2-3 oz patties.

The only one I could find that might handle thin patties is the IMUSA USA GAU-80102

We have a waffle iron with reversible plates. The side opposite the waffle side is flat. That would probably work for what you are looking for.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

W6YJ

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 11:20:44 PM »

What is the make and model of the waffle maker?

Any idea what temperature it runs?

And can you take a guess on how thin a patty could be and still make contact with both the top and bottom plates?

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 06:38:15 AM »

The grills McDonalds uses are made by wellbilt and they are called “platen” grills. They are adjustable to accommodate the different thickness of the burgers boy a computer. They also use a orange ish color non stick sheet on the top platen. At least they used to anyway. I never worked at a McDonalds however I did work on many of them when I was a mechanical contractor. A whole lot better than working on the fryers......yuck! They simply select the burger, punch it into the touchscreen, load the burgers and press start, down goes the top platen for 20 seconds, 30 seconds etc. When the control Times out, up goes the platen and into the tray for heated storage. The storage trays are also totally computerized, enter the food to store and wa-la when they have reached the maximum storage time, based on which food item, buzzer goes off and they are then SUPPOSED to throw them away. The onions come in a bag and every morning they empty them into a stainless container and add water. Before the are rehydrated they look have the consistency of Lipton dry onion soup mix. Oh, last thing, the franchise owner that was my customer gave me whenever I asked him the 1/4 lb patties and I would grill them, boy howdy they were the best, no kidding either. He used to do it all the time and suggested it to me. He owned 11 of them. 1 in Abilene, 2 in Junction City, 2 in Manhattan and 6 in Topeka. His house, his twin engine plane, his horses, his big game trophies etc. proved to me that even the “dollar menu” must be profitable. We became quite good friends. Unfortunately he died of pancreatic cancer 6 years ago. In a bit of irony my father also died of pancreatic cancer 5 years prior to Clark’s death. When my dad had but a few days Clark flew myself, my wife and our 2 kids to Oregon to be with him. Sorry for the diatribe.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:07:49 AM by yorkdude »

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 08:52:31 AM »

I worked at McDonald's 45 plus years ago and the hamburgers were cooked on a flat top grill. There was a grill press for the quarter pounders but not the smaller patties. They were cooked frozen, I don't know if that would make a difference or not.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 09:25:32 AM »

Nice. Would be fine as an "old fashioned" as well.

MysticRhythms

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 12:13:42 PM »

What is the make and model of the waffle maker?

Any idea what temperature it runs?

And can you take a guess on how thin a patty could be and still make contact with both the top and bottom plates?

This is the unit we have.
No idea on temps but plenty hot enough to cook a burger. We have made pannini style sandwiches on it.
It has a hinge that adjusts so you can cook things of various widths.
PG500

W6YJ

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2020, 12:36:57 PM »

yorkdude,

A sad but heart warming story. I looked up the Welbilt platen grills - very fancy.

MysticRhythms,

Either your photo or link didn't come through (for me anyway).

MysticRhythms

PG500

W6YJ

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 02:29:22 PM »

Thanks.

One possible issue with either the waffle maker or a panini press is there isn't a way for the grease to drain out.
Not sure how big of a problem it would be.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2020, 04:32:45 PM »

I see it has a channel all the way around it, but with my burgers, I was afraid of grease too!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »

Could you take the plates from that unit and throw them on your grill to get hot.  Then throw the burgers on one and put the other one on top of the burgers.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up