Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by martinzusmc on 09 Apr 2020
  • So I have been looking and I think I have finally settled on the  FE PG500. I think I may have found a used one that is about 4 years old. What would be be a good price. He is asking 1k & I was thinking that seems ok for a 4 y/o unit. The seller states nothing has has been replaced & I am just curious if there is any history with Auger motor, controller or temp sensor..as those seem the priciest components. I just can’t seem to find much info around complement failure..which may be a good thing. I also read on here that some years back they update the controller, but not sure what years that started. Any advice or direction would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #2 by Canadian John on 09 Apr 2020

•  First off, Welcome (your first post).

Generally a used pit goes for about 1/2 the price of a new one IF it has all the parts, no dents scrapes or broken parts and everything functions. Anything that isn't right detracts from the price..Make sure you take it apart and examine everything inside. The inside may give you a better idea on how it was maintained. Remember, there is NO warranty of any kind. Any problem will be yours to deal with. As for the controls or any other questions, you can contact the company with the S/N and ask. It will give you the opportunity to ask questions that may arise.
  • #3 by triplebq on 09 Apr 2020
  • My advice is to get the S/N off the unit and call Cookshack. They will be able to give you the history of the unit, etc. 

Years ago I purchased a PG500 used off eBay of all places. It actually was my first Pellet unit. Going from memory I believe I paid $975 or so. Mine did have a broken hinge on the hopper door but that didn't bother me. I sold it to a friend about a year later for $850. It was a great unit and I never had any problems.

I miss this cooker
  • #4 by martinzusmc on 09 Apr 2020
  • Thanks @Canadian John  Getting the S/N  & contacting Cookshack  is something I didn’t even think about. Appreciate the guidance around the 50% value & exactly what I was looking for from my first post. If I do get the only problem I hope I will have is figuring out how to move the xxxx thing...Thanks again.

• #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Apr 2020
  • 50% value is a good benchmark for something 3+ years old.
  • #6 by triplebq on 09 Apr 2020
  • Appreciate the guidance around the 50% value & exactly what I was looking for from my first post.

The person selling the unit has it listed at about 45% off list price. I'm sure you can negotiate another $90 bucks off to get it to 50% off. My advice is pay whatever you feel comfortable paying. 
  • #7 by martinzusmc on 09 Apr 2020
  • Thanks @triplebq  I’ll be sure to get the S/N. Appreciate your insight and what you sold your for as it gives me a good baseline to start negotiating from.  Glad to hear you never had a problem with your & miss it.. I had an older Traeger BQ100 6 years back & and was never really impressed. Switched to a vision Ceramic grill 4 year back... It’s been good, but want to switch back to a pellet.. was looking at REC TEC, but I kept hearing about pg500 and have heard no complaints other than the size. I don’t cook a huge amount...so I think it will work great.  Added pics of the one I am looking at. It’s about 45 min from where I live so want to make I got everything I need before I check it out in person and hand over some $.

• #8 by Bentley on 09 Apr 2020
  • Buy it!
  • #9 by Osborn Cox on 09 Apr 2020
  • I will tell you that I have been looking for a used one for years, ever since I found my PG1000 used on Craigslist, so around 5 years.    I have never seen one come up for sale in my area, so if it’s what you want, try to talk him a down a little if you can and buy it.    I keep looking and hopefully will find one someday.
  • #10 by triplebq on 09 Apr 2020
  • I will tell you that I have been looking for a used one for years, ever since I found my PG1000 used on Craigslist, so around 5 years.    I have never seen one come up for sale in my area, so if it’s what you want, try to talk him a down a little if you can and buy it.    I keep looking and hopefully will find one someday.

+1. They don't come one the used market often.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Apr 2020
  • For $850 I would be tempted to get one and I have a ton of grills.
  • #12 by Osborn Cox on 09 Apr 2020
  • For $850 I would be tempted to get one and I have a ton of grills.

$850 is what I paid for my PG1000, probably my favorite bargain I have ever found. I almost felt bad about it, almost.
  • #13 by martinzusmc on 09 Apr 2020
  • I appreciate all the input. After calling Cookshack with the SN and going back and forth, we agreed on $900 if everything checks out. Could have probably gone a little lower but I  kind of wanted it for a Easter. Picking it up on Saturday. Now I get the fun of figuring how to move it and what to cook on it first.
  • #14 by Osborn Cox on 09 Apr 2020
  • Congrats, You will be happy with your purchase I’m sure, and if not as you can see there are folks here that would be willing to take it off your hands. 
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Apr 2020
  • what part of the country do you live?
Pages:
Actions