Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 09 Apr 2020

•  Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with Baratza.  So far what I like other than pricing is all parts are replaceable and available. The company advocates repair, not replacement (old school), a terrific

website that is customer focused with repair procedures - video and photo and mucho down to earth good information. The model I am contemplating is the Virtuoso Plus..
  • #2 by Canadian John on 24 Apr 2020

•  I did a lot of research and was astonished to find so much coffee information on their site..Coffee grinders is all they do. They are also coffee aficionados, beyond belief..If you want to know just about anything

related to coffee making and grinders, go there.

I ended up buying a Virtroso model. why? Baratza supports rebuilding their grinders with affordable parts and all kinds of how to information, including videos on troubleshooting, parts replacement, adjustment

etc. The list goes on. Just doesn't sound right in our throw away world.

Compared to my Cuisinart flat burr grinder of many years, the comparison is night and day. The grounds from the Virtroso are almost fines free and uniform. There is little ground coffee (residual) left to

go bad left in the burrs and discharge port after grinding...

The burrs are claimed to be able to grind just under 500 LBS of beans before needing replacement.

In the end taste matters. This grinder made a difference. That was using the same beans and brewer..My only mistake was not to have bought this years ago.
  • #3 by TravlinMan on 25 Apr 2020
  • Thank you for the information.

Will have to keep an eye out for these grinders.

I have a Cuisinart Mill and Brew coffee maker which has the burr grinder to grind the beans from the container on top and into the basket and then works a 'selection disc' around to run the hot water through the basket and then into the thermal carafe. It has been a little temperamental, but with the correct care, it works extremely well.

However, trying to limit the acidity and caffeine intake, I went to a college dorm style single cup Keurig for my 'cup a day' self imposed limit. >:(

I hate throwing out most of a pot of good coffee everyday, I also do not like the waste of the Keurig cups.. The lesser of the evils? Choices Choices!

• #4 by Conumdrum on 25 Apr 2020
  • Lesser of two evils?

Boiled local bark using wood from a dead tree and sap sugar.  Fire lit with flint from the backyard. 

We live in tough times for sure.

I'll pick the mostest evil of evils, coffee from the grocery store, picked by poor children.  I'll use electricity made by fossil fuels.  I'll make in my cheap xxx $21.99 drip coffee maker where only the delivery of hot morning caffeine and no thought of taste matters.

Ahh,'Merica, where my choice is my choice.

Always liked the coffee pot Jack Nicholson had in 'Bucket List'. :clap:

I'd like to try your cups of coffee, must be a wonderful morning every day. 
  • #5 by Canadian John on 26 Apr 2020

•  In retrospect, I forgot to list Baratza is an American company based in Washington state. All the email queries I sent them in researching grinders were promptly responded to within hours; and was signed by

name and title. The responses were of a personal nature responding directly to the question (s) asked. All this with a header stating they are understaffed and replies may be slow due to Covid-19.

Their warranty surprisingly pays shipping both ways. The only company I found that does that. To me that says a lot about their commitment to the customer and the faith they have in their products.

Unlike other companies I contacted, the response took several days and signed off by department or first name. The answers were more of a generic nature with incomplete information - not much help.

Pages:
Actions