Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Downdraft on GMG  (Read 12645 times)

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
Downdraft on GMG
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »

Hi all,
I have noticed a few post on here that mention the Don Godke`s Downdraft.  I have looked at the videos and I really don't get the purpose of this device.  Can someone clue me into the problem that this device solves for?  It the problem is sufficient to require an add on device, why hasn't the issue been resolved by GMG?
thanks

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Downdraft on GMG
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »

Not sure it was made to address issues. I have never had temperature issues on either of my Daniel Boones.  I did a Product review of the Hurd's downdraft. I want to say that the main purpose was to keep the smoke in the chamber longer.  It may have evened out grate temperatures for others.  Another benefit was that it decreased Pellet consumption by about 7%, so that was an advantage. 

And the downdrafts are for many more units then just the GMG's...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:38:17 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:56:12 PM »

Thanks Bentley. 
I did a bit more Googling and found a few images of hacks/mods.   I now have a better idea of the purpose.  I did like the idea of the reverse flow version.  I guess I will toast some white bread and have to spend time cooking to get to know the grill. ( Once I have it! )

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »

Hi all,
I have noticed a few post on here that mention the Don Godke`s Downdraft.  I have looked at the videos and I really don't get the purpose of this device.  Can someone clue me into the problem that this device solves for?  It the problem is sufficient to require an add on device, why hasn't the issue been resolved by GMG?
thanks

I've had Dons downdraft for about 2 years now and I love it.  It's helped even out my temps and lowered my pellet consumption.
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

mowin

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »

I did a cheapo $3 elbow and a short length of pipe to get it to grate level. It did reduce pellet consumption,  but did nothing to stabilize temps left to right. Did help some on set and actual temp.

Now granted, it may not work as well as a Godke's downdraft as I've never seen anyone do a direct comparison test.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »

I did a cheapo $3 elbow and a short length of pipe to get it to grate level. It did reduce pellet consumption,  but did nothing to stabilize temps left to right. Did help some on set and actual temp.

Now granted, it may not work as well as a Godke's downdraft as I've never seen anyone do a direct comparison test.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

I use the exact same thing!! Just have to modify the end to get it to fit into chimney. 

mowin

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I use the exact same thing!! Just have to modify the end to get it to fit into chimney.

I cut there 1" slices in the crimped end. Fits great.

Clonesmoker

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »

I did pretty much the same. Used and angle grinder with a slicing blade and cut four 1/8' wide pieces out at each 90 degrees and it fit right in. It is also easy to change around if you don't want to keep it facing straight down. 

Phrett

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »

I took the dryer vent tube and ran it across the top of the unit to the left side.  This evened grate temps dramatically essentially making it a reverse flow design.
Memphis Pro GMG DC Electric vertical smoker Blues, booze and BBQ

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »

Good ideas - I like home-built innovation  :clap:
PZ

mreservices

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 03:13:47 PM »

I just added my downdraft the other afternoon.  Very nicely made.  I have done the burn in but that is it.  Hope to try it out this weekend.

Clonesmoker

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »

I took the dryer vent tube and ran it across the top of the unit to the left side.  This evened grate temps dramatically essentially making it a reverse flow design.

I may have seen a pic of this on another site. ;)  How much open space do you leave on the left side between the wall and the end of the tube?  Is the vent tube just open on the left end? Hmmm.... curious about trying this......

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »

I've been very happy with Don Godkes Downdraft and I definitely recommend them!  Don is very knowledgeable...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:07:32 PM by Bentley »
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Are the elbows steel or aluminium?  All I can find around here are aluminium.  I guess that would fine for low temp smoking and just remove it for anything above 300 or so.  Thanks!!  BP
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Yelnoc

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »

According to GMG use of the downdraft will probably void your warranty.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up