Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sam's Club Visit & Smoking Ideas Wanted  (Read 646 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Sam's Club Visit & Smoking Ideas Wanted
« on: April 16, 2020, 06:09:33 AM »

I tried to order some meat for pickup at Sam's Club and two of the three items I ordered came back as out of stock.  I was trying to not go into the store if possible.  But Sam's does not do curbside pickup.  Being I had to go inside anyway to get my order I went to check on their meat.  Even though they were not fully stocked there were plenty there especially what I ordered that they said were out of stock.  I got two huge (3 1/2+ pounds) chuck roasts, two huge packages of short ribs, pork country style ribs and a huge package of pork chops.  I know how I want to cook the chuck roasts and country style ribs.  But I have never tried the beef short ribs (these are flat pieces not the big meaty type) and pork chops.

Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

p.s.  - they also had plenty of toilet paper
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:11:16 AM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Sam's Club Visit & Smoking Ideas Wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »

Are they the thin type pork chops?

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »

I tried to order some meat for pickup at Sam's Club and two of the three items I ordered came back as out of stock.  I was trying to not go into the store if possible.  But Sam's does not do curbside pickup.  Being I had to go inside anyway to get my order I went to check on their meat.  Even though they were not fully stocked there were plenty there especially what I ordered that they said were out of stock.  I got two huge (3 1/2+ pounds) chuck roasts, two huge packages of short ribs, pork country style ribs and a huge package of pork chops.  I know how I want to cook the chuck roasts and country style ribs.  But I have never tried the beef short ribs (these are flat pieces not the big meaty type) and pork chops.

Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

p.s.  - they also had plenty of toilet paper

Just picked up 5 lbs of country rib yesterday for $1.99 lb. Brining in kosher salt and maple syrup. If they are thick chops I would brine them in brown sugar and kosher salt. 

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:32:47 AM »

I have never found the short ribs around here, most of the times I see people cooking them they kind of treat them like brisket.

I am thinking of making a Sams club and gordons run today. I need some meat for jerky, and some spices.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 08:44:30 AM »

But Sam's does not do curbside pickup. 

I just picked up a case of of beef plate ribs (https://www.samsclub.com/p/case-sale-beef-short-ribs-3-4-pcs-case/prod17180008?xid=plp_product_1_3) from Sam's. I ordered them online and had a 7 AM - 8 AM pickup time. The store doesn't open until 9 AM now given the virus lockdown we are in. I received my order is ready email around 6:45 AM and went to pick them up. When I arrived I checked in on my phone app and a worker came to the door. They verified who I was and went and grabbed my order. They push the cart out to me and away I went. I was never closer than 10 feet to the person. I paid for my order online.

When I placed my order I was surprised they offered me a pickup time before they open to the public. I called to verify and was told yes I can pickup my online order at 7 AM.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 10:13:42 AM »

I did Hank's version of cooking a chuck over the weekend.  Thanks for the inspiration!  It took right at eight hours of cook time.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4893.0

I took it to 210 and then let it rest in a cooler for a couple of hours.  It pulled apart like a pork butt and was extremely popular with all four of us.  It made really good tacos and shredded beef sandwiches with a little BBQ sauce if you like it.  My daughter doesn't, my wife and I like a little bit and the niece wants it drowned.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 10:35:55 AM »

I did Hank's version of cooking a chuck over the weekend.  Thanks for the inspiration!  It took right at eight hours of cook time.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4893.0

I took it to 210 and then let it rest in a cooler for a couple of hours.  It pulled apart like a pork butt and was extremely popular with all four of us.  It made really good tacos and shredded beef sandwiches with a little BBQ sauce if you like it.  My daughter doesn't, my wife and I like a little bit and the niece wants it drowned.

This is how I plan on doing them the next time.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »

It would take a little work, but you could make a stuffed pork chop with the thin ones.  Whatever stuffing you would like between the two chops and either use meat glue to bind the edges or "sew " together with butchers string and a big needle.  I know that method would be a lot of work.  Maybe other ideas out there to keep them together -- toothpicks?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »

For the pork chops, I soak them in Lawrys Caribbean Jerk liquid marinade for a day or two and them put on smoker at 250° for about an hour.  Many years ago, I would use Wishbone Italian dressing and Worcestershire sauce as the marinade overnight and then grill them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »

I've had so much trouble over cooking pork chops on the grill, I very seldom attempt it any more. For proteins that are super sensitive to heat (lean pork, shrimp, fish, etc.), I now rely on sous vide either before or after a light smoke.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »

I've had so much trouble over cooking pork chops on the grill, I very seldom attempt it any more. For proteins that are super sensitive to heat (lean pork, shrimp, fish, etc.), I now rely on sous vide either before or after a light smoke.  :2cents:

Cook at 250° for an hour after marinading.  You could check them at 30 minutes and 45 minutes to ensure they are at your desired IT.  I rarely have an issue at that temp.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 03:14:19 PM »

My preference for lean pork is 140°, shrimp 130° and fish 126°, unless the item is very thick, I find it is easy to overshoot the target.

I think 30-45 minutes at 250° will get you there for pork chops.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:34:56 PM by Bar-B-Lew »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »

But Sam's does not do curbside pickup. 

I just picked up a case of of beef plate ribs (https://www.samsclub.com/p/case-sale-beef-short-ribs-3-4-pcs-case/prod17180008?xid=plp_product_1_3) from Sam's. I ordered them online and had a 7 AM - 8 AM pickup time. The store doesn't open until 9 AM now given the virus lockdown we are in. I received my order is ready email around 6:45 AM and went to pick them up. When I arrived I checked in on my phone app and a worker came to the door. They verified who I was and went and grabbed my order. They push the cart out to me and away I went. I was never closer than 10 feet to the person. I paid for my order online.

When I placed my order I was surprised they offered me a pickup time before they open to the public. I called to verify and was told yes I can pickup my online order at 7 AM.

I got y Sams membership many years ago, they came into the auto parts store I worked in and I was able o get a Business membership. 40 bucks I think it is now. But that allowed me into the store starting at 7am, 2 to 3 hours before they opened to regular members. I don't think I have used that perk but maybe a handful of times, my closest sams is 45 minutes away at least.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »

Didn't make it to Sams today but did stop at Gordons. The meat case which is not huge was slim pickins. I wanted jerky meat I did take the better of the 2 boneless pork loins they had, there were 2 very fatty whole eye of rounds at 3.89# the loins were 2.29# Butts were 1.59# I did get a small one I will stash in the garage fridge for a few weeks. I also found frozen BB ribs at 2.99# St Louis cut more money and they had some huge spares at 2.19# there were 2 or 3 slabs to a pack.  They had a bunch of briskets, usually have whole beef knuckle which I was wanting to get but they had none of them. No dark meat chicken but bags of whole boneless breasts 15.00 for 1#  Most other things in the store seemed normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up